Rakuten- always authentic?

spendalot

Leather addict
O.G.
Aug 21, 2006
Hi all,

I noticed that Rakuten is listed as one of the authentic sellers. However, I think they operate like Amazon where there are many different merchants and hence it will be difficult to police the authenticity?

I want to buy a bag from there but is worried about the risk. Can anyone who knows them well, has dealt with them contribute? Will appreciate it.

Thank you!

Hi there, spendalot.

Yes, Rakuten is a market place that allows many different stores to have their online venue. Some of the stores have their own web site besides the one in Rakuten, some don't, some have a physical store somewhere in Japan, and some don't. Most of the stores that carry BV and other brand name items are 1) an independent boutique that buy items from overseas, 2) a consignment store (sometimes originally a pawn shop), or 3) the combination of the two. 1) of course claims that their items are all authentic, and 2) and 3) assure that their items have been authenticated by experts.

I've used a store in Rakuten just once when I bought an H scarf that was very hard to find. I checked the customer review section as well as their own online store, emailed them to inquire purchase processes, and felt comfortable dealing with them. The transaction went very smoothly.

Sometimes I get PMs from tPFers about certain items on Rakuten, and I often have to deliver disappointing news. Not because the items are not authentic, but because many of them keep the items online that have been already sold and many of them do not ship overseas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Brits'n'Pieces
Found a red Mabillon backpack for around $300. Made this account to share-- it's beautiful but not my style. I have had very positive experiences with Rakuten. Generally the Japanese government are very hard on counterfeits and they are seen very negatively by the Japanese people in general so I would trust the site.

I bought a watch which turn out to be fake from Rakuten.com. Based on the source of the items, the quality, and the price, I am forced to conclude that these items are almost certainly fakes. When buying I could not see the original seller or their location, which makes me even more suspicious.