Raju the Elephant Freed After 50 Years of Animal Abuse

Oct 6, 2007
Such a sad life this elephant has lived, it is estimated he has had 27 owners over a 50 year span and was poached from his mom when he was just a calf.

he is now free! when the rescuers approached his "owner" and started cutting off the spiked chains Raju started to cry, probably from the pain but also he most likely sensed his life was about the change for the better.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2682388/Incredible-sight-elephant-cried-Raju-held-chains-beaten-abused-fifty-years-day-released-tears-rolled-face.html?ito=social-facebook

That poor guy was so skinny! How cruel people are. Glad he will finally know peace and can be in a place with other elephants to live out his days.

Poor little angel. I hope the rest of his life makes up for the first part. His owner should be ashamed. I can't wish enough bad karma on him. :mad:

This story is absolutely heartbreaking. This poor elephant has lived threw alot that no animal should ever have to go threw. I wish him a speedy recovery and rehabilitation. The idea that possibly 27 different people tourchered him is insane and frustrating knowing that they will not be punished for thier crimes is even more upsetting.

I will add this charity to my list. Thank you. It's disturbing to know such things go on though...especially since elephants are very developed animals capable of complex relationships. - this is is one of my favourite charities: http://www.sheldrickwildlifetrust.org/html/elephant_archival.asp read the story of rescuing baby elephants if you can. I find it very interesting that the charity says that baby elephants form close bonds with their carer, therefore they only employ people who can commit to 10 years plus for looking after the animals.

I saw a local story that reminded me of Raju the elephant. An equine rescue got hold of Molly, an abused horse who was 25% less than normal weight. They did their best but couldn't save her. The article said nothing about punishment for the devils that abused poor Molly. In most cases nothing ever happens (maybe a small fine) to those who torture/kill/neglect innocent animals.

Our state has a proposed law to more tightly regulate puppy mills (NC is the puppy mill capital of America) and one of our local veterinarians, also a state senator, is OPPOSED TO IT and blocking it!!!!! I would carry my dog 50 miles for health care rather than stop at his office which is quite near our home.

Awesome. I hope he can survive his wounds and live a few more good years under the care of people who love him like these rescuers.

There are many more like Raju out there posing for tourists and begging with their owners in the streets. I hope they can save more if not all of them.

Please also read about the Asian elephants plight in the wild. They desperately need help as well.

Here is a great recent article on the subject: http://newswatch.nationalgeographic...ng-the-life-of-an-asian-elephant-near-mumbai/ There is a petition at the end to sign and can be used to spread the word.

Last edited:
Raju was on my news this morning. I hope he lives long enough to realize that life is much better than his first 50 years. Heartbreaking but hopefully with a happy ending. Check CNN for the story. It was a rebroadcast of theirs.