Raisin leather.... am i right?

anon00

Jan 7, 2009
Hi All,
Finally managed to convince him to consider raisin as the colour of my 1st birkin. :sweatdrop: This is of course subject to how we actually like the bag on the day itself as it is so difficult to visualise simply by looking at a small swatch. Now I have decided on the size - 35 and the hardware - phw, but am torn between the choice of leathers. :Push:

I have seen so many raisin bags and I see a common debate between box and togo/clemence leather. I had my heart set on a togo/clemence as this was the leather I saw in a lindy which made me fall in love with raisin in the first place. However, looking at the pictures of raisin in box, I am having second thoughts.

1. I like the shine and smooth leather of the box but I want a deeper purple rather than a bright purple as I want it to be as neutral as possible. BUT I have read that raisin in togo/clemence can look a bit brown. Is that true and how "bad" is it? I am looking for a purple hue without it being too purple...

2. I want to use it on a daily and casual basis, i.e. for work and with jeans etc… and I always prefer an understated look when I go casual.

For the reasons below, I have chosen the togo/clemence. :tup: I still like the box but have figured that I can get in my kelly and thus have a variety of different leathers. Also, since box will only be available in SO, I guess my chances of scoring a togo/clemence will be much easier. Would I be able to find a raisin in togo/clemence easily? I am thinking of the list in London or going to FSH sometime this year.

Anyway, as no one has really explained the differences of raisin in togo and clemence so could someone pls point out the differences so that I would be able to ask for the right one? I am veering towards a togo as it is lighter and does not slouch as much. Tks in advance.

P/S: I also like raisin in chevre but understand it is hard to come by??? I would like to get it direct from a H store rather than a reseller.

Togo/clemence sounds perfect for you colourwise. Raisin box is absolutely gorgeous but is definitely more purple than raisin on the grained leathers. IME raisin does not read at all brown on togo/clemence.

Cherve is SO only and not readily available at all in big bags so rule that out.

Togo is slightly stiffer than clemence in the big bags and the grain pattern is different but with variances in individual skins this can be negligible. Have a look at Hermesgroupie's leather book in the ref lib for more detail. HTH

Great choice - raisin is a fab neutral. I have it and love it. A great bag.

Raisin looks almost the same in togo and clemence. In my opinion either would be perfect for you given you want something that you can use as a workhorse.

I have a Raisin clemence birkin and it doesn't look brown at all. It is a deep eggplant colour, a dark blueish purple. My advice would be for you to go to the shop, ask to look at the colour book and see for yourself. You'll see it is not brown...

In London you won't be able to find one on the shelf, but in Paris (FSH AND GV) you will probable get lucky. I understand the PO list is opening shortly for the London boutiques, why don't you try that...

HB, tks for your comments and for the link. I have seen it previously which is why I decided to go for togo. But might be a stupid question but what exactly is veining? Does it mean that without veins, it looks smooth??? :sweatdrop:

I have a Raisin clemence birkin and it doesn't look brown at all. It is a deep eggplant colour, a dark blueish purple. My advice would be for you to go to the shop, ask to look at the colour book and see for yourself.

In London you won't be able to find one on the shelf, but in Paris (FSH AND GV) you will probable get lucky. I understand the PO list is opening shortly for the London boutiques, why don't you try that...

LittleH, I have seen the lookbook and raisin in clemence in real life and it also did not seem brown to me and so was wondering abt the comments that pple made that it seemed brown in the dark. It just got me confused... :nogood:

And yes, I am trying to get onto the PO list and if not, paris might be my next stop!!! :yahoo:Only thing is there is no guarantee in scoring something there and I would hate to make a wasted trip. :sad:

A trip to FSH is never a wasted trip! Think of all the goodies you can pick up!!!

That's true but then I really want my bag and if I go Paris this time and don't manage to find something, it will be a long time before I can visit again. DH has "paris" on top of his list of places never to visit again (as I spend a fortune there :P) so will need to budget my trips there sparingly. :nogood:

Here is a thought... Have you listed other favourite colours or do you not want a Birkin in any other colour? In my case I knew I wanted either a grey or a purple or a black (all colours I know I will have a birkin or a hac in ultimately) so I asked for a range of colours and see what they had.

Of course if you think that you only want raisin then don't settle for anything else, you have to get what your heart is set on!

Here is a thought... Have you listed other favourite colours or do you not want a Birkin in any other colour?

For now, I have only decided on raisin (but of course the H rainbow of colours is seriously tempting.... :graucho:) I would probably like to consider other colours in the pink/purple family and possibly grey. I know I don't want black (as I have too many black bags) and brown (as I won't use this colour). Problem is I want something neutral and not too bright and can be used on any occassion and so far, only raisin has caught my eye.

If you haven't already, check this thread as there are a lot of pictures of raisin in different leathers:
http://forum.purseblog.com/hermes-clubhouse/ode-to-raisin-226477.html

Yes, I checked that thread and in fact I have practically searched the whole forum for all raisin pictures!!!! :yes:

Btw, raisin in CDC sounds gorgeous!!!!

I like Raisin in box- I think it's nice to carry classic (glossy leather) bag with casual style!!! But I don't know how practik is- to choise box fo first Birkin? (I mean- how useful it) :thinking:
As for Togo or Clemence- I have birkins in this 2 leathers. I can't say which one I like more, cos Clemence looks more massiv bag than Togo, colours in Clemence are deeper, I love the feel of Clemence.
Togo is much useful,lighter, keep the shape better(if it important for you), nice structure of leather, too(my togo is without vein).
I think you can choise only after learning leather book!!!
Good Luck!!!

HB, tks for your comments and for the link. I have seen it previously which is why I decided to go for togo. But might be a stupid question but what exactly is veining? Does it mean that without veins, it looks smooth???

No. The "veins" which are sometimes found on togo run vertically (or top to bottom to be more precise) in addition to the grain of the leather. Some togo is smaller grained than others while clemence is generally thought to have a larger grain overall. But I have to stress that this varies from skin to skin.

Let me see if I can find a pic. BRB

OK see the light striations in the skin here on this 40cm Birkin from one of our trusted resellers, MightyKismet..... those are what we call veining...
d40bdps2.jpg

Credit - MightyKismet