Rainboots as winter boots, is that weird?

Apr 14, 2011
It finally started snowing where i live and i don't have 'proper' winter boots. I don't really feel like paying $200 for a pair of real winter boots(like sorels) plus they're ugly. I have 2 pairs of cute rainboots and considering just wearing those with some wool socks. Does anyone else do that? Is it weird?

Hmmm I think it depends on where you live.
If your climate is mostly warm, rains more than it snows, then I think rainboots are fine. However if you live in a real snowy place... like most Canadian cities... then rainboots most likely won't be enough.
So as long as you're comfortable and warm in what you wear, I think it should be ok :smile:

I wear Hunter wellies with the welly socks when the snow is light or the temperatures aren't that cold. When the snow is deeper or the temperature is super cold, I wear shearling lined LL Bean boots. Ugly, maybe, but wellies don't keep my feet warm enough.

OP, I see you got the same dumping of snow I got in Toronto!

I don't think wearing rainboots in winter looks weird. I see lots of people wearing Hunter's with the fleece lining and I think it looks fine.

I use to wear a pair of lined Juicy Couture rainboots in the winter with thermal socks but still found it way too cold. I found my feet would get cold and it would be impossible to get them warm, as if the boots trap the cold inside.
I have since converted to a pair of waterproof Uggs and I freaking love them!