Rain, Rain, Go Away *:*:*

MsAmber

May 6, 2019
Hey y’all!

So today I, unfortunately, got caught in the rain as I was coming out of Target. I stopped right at the sliding doors and just stood there. I was carrying my Mono Pochette Métis. Vachetta, Rain = Water Spots! I had nothing to protect it. So I went back inside and got some Starbucks until it went away. Lol. Sounds silly, I suppose, but I didn’t want to stain it.

Anyway, my question is.. what do you do when you unexpectedly get caught in the rain? Do you wait until it goes away? Do you just dash to the car and hope for the best? Do you carry something inside your bag, to cover your bag with, just in case this happens? I’d love to know!

Thanks for reading :flowers:

Hey y’all!

So today I, unfortunately, got caught in the rain as I was coming out of Target. I stopped right at the sliding doors and just stood there. I was carrying my Mono Pochette Métis. Vachetta, Rain = Water Spots! I had nothing to protect it. So I went back inside and got some Starbucks until it went away. Lol. Sounds silly, I suppose, but I didn’t want to stain it.

Anyway, my question is.. what do you do when you unexpectedly get caught in the rain? Do you wait until it goes away? Do you just dash to the car and hope for the best? Do you carry something inside your bag, to cover your bag with, just in case this happens? I’d love to know!

I have seen that you can get "handbag raincoats" for Birkins. If it was me and I didn't have anything else to cover it, I would probably shove the bag under my shirt to protect it, or you could just buy a plastic shopping bag from Target or wherever you are at.

I would think to either ask for a shopping bag (pay for if necessary) and put my handbag inside of it. Or put it in one of my existing shopping bags if there's room.

But taking a little break and enjoying some Starbucks and watching the rain sounds like a really nice option!

I was in the passenger seat with my mono PM the other day. It has a very light patina and I had an open bottle of water in my hand. I thought I felt a spider on me, panicked and not thinking, dumped the water all over myself and my lap. No water marks on the top handle even though it was drenched, and a water mark on the front tab where it hasn't patina'd as much.

I was soaked and laughed at my ridiculousness and now that watermark will be a hilarious memory until it evens out!

I left my DA Neverfull on a pillar in my front yard. As I was watering with a hose, nowhere near my bag, I somehow over-sprayed and got a touch of water on two of my bag's chaps. It was really irritating because I had just replaced ALL of the leather trim on my bag (after "treating" my bag with a product and not liking the way it left the vachetta looking or feeling). Those little water marks never went away. I baby my bags big time, but I moved on. Stuff happens. :smile: To answer your question, if I were caught in the rain I would throw a bag over it. Sounds like you handled it!

My first two LV bags got a few rain spots when I bought them and was "sunning" them to get the patina started. (They are now a lovely honey/light caramel.) Of course, the first time I did that it started sprinkling so sadly I started with rain spots. Now you'd know know that happened. After that initiation into rain versus vachetta, I found a thin clear plastic bag and folded it up very compactly and started carrying it in a cosmetic bag in my handbag. Haven't used it, but feel safer knowing I have it if there is a huge downpour.

A plastic grocery bag can be folded so teeny tiny ;-P and comes in handy when rain pops up. I keep it in my bag just in case. Also, I'm a little crazy because I check the weather before I carry my nicer LV bags. I have one LV that I consider my knock-around, and that has gotten wet on occasion. I have conditioned the vachetta leather regularly, so the water does not penetrate or mark like it would if it were new and untreated.

Hey y’all!

I pretreat all vachetta with Apple Garde so that if this happens, the water marks do not stay on the leather. When I know it is going to rain, I carry ebene of course.

If it is raining more than drizzle, I would ask for a bag from the retailer (even if I had to buy something small to get it) or put it under my shirt/jacket if I had to lol

I contacted LV about after sales care on advice for an epi bag and the petite Noe monogram.

Was recommended that I shouldn’t apply anything to epi leather or vachetta prior to using it and if water does get on the vachetta, dab the water off as soon as you can. I’m not looking to speed up the patina process so might just use my bag depending on judging the weather and hope it doesn’t pour rain.

I treat mine as well. I know there is a lot of controversy over this one but personally I don't like to worry. I also keep a handbag cover with me. Although the straps are not covered, I can adjust it so that they are inside and protected. This one was really cute but I don't think they sell them anymore. There are a few on Ebay. https://www.ebay.com/c/5008819911