Rain on my parade :(

welcome to the forum and congratulations on your lovely new bag. Im sure if my mum was around she would have said the same thing haha! But at the end of the day, its your bag, your money and your choice - so go wear your bag with happiness and love the purchase as much as you did when u made it x

I guess with LV you are also paying a premium for the name as well as the quality, your Speedy will last you a very long time.

They do have leather chaps and handles, it's not all canvas :smile: :smile:

It is a bit of a bummer when someone your'e close to reacts that way (I completely understand that) but it is your money and your life, you are a grown woman.

My mum would never in a million years spend so much money on a handbag but she respects the fact that I like LV and thinks my bag is beautiful.

You can't please everyone so just please yourself and enjoy your beautiful new bag, you can gladly show it off here :smile:

My folks are like that too but I don't let it get to me. My mindset is I'm not telling you how to spend your money so stop trying to control how I spend my coins. We all spend our money on something. You can't take it with you when you're gone so spend it on what makes YOU happy. Enjoy your speedy!!! :smile:

Hi! I'm new to the purse forum and to the designer hand bag life :smile: I recently just purchased my first LV (a speedy b 25 in Damier ebene) and I love it! It's great and fits my lifestyle perfectly. I showed my mom my bag the other day and she said she couldn't believe I spent so much money on a bag that's not even real leather. It put a real damper on my excitement. i know it shouldn't matter what she thinks (especially because I'm a grown woman with kids myself!) but i can't help but feel a little bummed. And it does make me think- why are even the canvas LVs so expensive? Don't get me wrong i still love my bag but I just wanted to "talk it out" with others who are willing to shell out the big bucks for these bags :smile:

:lol: My mother said exactly the same thing when she found out that it is canvas not leather. Fast forward 10 years and the canvas on my everyday Speedy still looks like new, when most of my mom's leather bags are long gone and berried. And anyway, our mothers' harsh comments are only an immediate burn. The more you enjoy using your bag, less bummed you will feel. All we can do is to remember to not do the same to our kids. Wear it in good health!

I am 52 and a negative comment from my mother still stings.
That being said, you are a grown @zz woman and can make your own choices.
Sometimes parents forget you are not 10 anymore.
Enjoy your bag and take any naysayers with a grain of salt.

You are paying for:
1: luxury label with a lot of following and history, and a pretty decent reputation
2: a handbag made at a fair wage in Europe or the USA (even though the mark-up is a bit silly)
3. a durable bag that will last a long time...with an excellent resale value...depending on the items you choose

I totally understand how some people don't get why we are willing to spend "that kind of money" on a LV especially the canvas bags. I've had the same conversion with myself, until I realized last winter that I'd been using my mini pochette (mono with luggage tags) as my wallet -every single day for the last six years. Justifying the purchase of a new mini evasion in DA was easy after that. This summer I'm looking forward to buying my first LV bag ...the exact same one you got! I know even my best friend would roll her eyes but at the end of the day if you love it and it works for you that's all that matters! No justification needed, even to yourself [emoji6] Congratulations on a fantastic bag! Looking forward to seeing your new hand made couture baby!

Sorry that happened. I'm sure people in my life feel that way about my bags but no one says anything (thankfully). LV is definitely WAY overpriced...but if you love it and can afford it, then you will need to be able to let comments like that one roll off. Many people have "fun money" - whether it be a little or a lot and we all make decisions that we feel are justified to buy what we want with that "fun money". Don't let anyone make you feel badly for your decision. Enjoy your new LV!

You are paying for:
1: luxury label with a lot of following and history, and a pretty decent reputation
2: a handbag made at a fair wage in Europe or the USA (even though the mark-up is a bit silly)
3. a durable bag that will last a long time...with an excellent resale value...depending on the items you choose
Well said :tup:

There's also something to be said about how using this bag makes me feel just a little bit more put together- even if I'm just in my gym clothes! I'm so use to carrying around a diaper bag and my kids are finally old enough for me to just leave all the extras we MIGHT need in the car so the freedom with this new bag is pretty great as well 😊 Truly thanks to everyone for the positive feedback. Sounds like many of us have had some negative comments regarding how we spend our OWN money 🙄

Just remember that its not much different from people who have four or five $300 MK, Kate Spade or Tory Burch bags. People don't criticize those purchases as often but in reality its the same money spent overall--its just a little less shocking in small increments. I feel that there are a lot of people who have multiple mid-range designer bags. Also, these bags hold their value well because of the name and durability. I could probably sell my very first bag for pretty close to what I paid for it and its 4 years old (because of the price increases).

My sister didn't understand my spending that kind of money for a bag but I don't understand how she can spend $$$ on vitamins, supplements, and organics. I think the majority of people have some things they splurge on. Your mom may change her tune when in four or five years your bag still looks brand new. Sorry this happened.

My sister didn't understand my spending that kind of money for a bag but I don't understand how she can spend $$$ on vitamins, supplements, and organics. I think the majority of people have some things they splurge on. Your mom may change her tune when in four or five years your bag still looks brand new. Sorry this happened.

This is so true. I know people who spend £200 when they visit the hair salon each month, the same amount on a nice meal out every fortnight. Each to their own - that is money down the drain, but if they enjoy it then that is what matters and it's no business of mine. And that's why I find it a little bit strange when those same people criticise a designer handbag!

My mother never understood why anyone would spend above the minimum on clothing or accessories, she thought it was atrocious. But she never stopped to consider the thousands she spent each year on a heavy alcohol and cigarette habit. If the OP's mother has any vices, now might be a good time to remind her!

I get the same from my parents and I worked for LV for 5 years. Mind you I am almost 50 yrs old. LV canvas was used on luggage when people travelled via steam ships. It is extremely durable and weather resistant. My mom almost exclusively carries Prada leather bags but get this.... For travel she loves her LV Neverfull because it is so lightweight and she doesn't have to baby it like her Prada's. Don't let her comments rain on your parade. You are carrying a wonderful handbag that if taken care of will last a very long time.

I felt the same way when I bought my Trevi. I've loved that bag for so long and just couldn't get passed the price on it especially for a canvas bag. I finally did and had no regrets and I'm glad that I did since the bag was discontinued shortly after. The price can sting a little but when it's considered a luxury item well then the price will be priced at a luxury level.