Rain on my parade :(

1. Hi! I'm new to the purse forum and to the designer hand bag life :smile: I recently just purchased my first LV (a speedy b 25 in Damier ebene) and I love it! It's great and fits my lifestyle perfectly. I showed my mom my bag the other day and she said she couldn't believe I spent so much money on a bag that's not even real leather. It put a real damper on my excitement. i know it shouldn't matter what she thinks (especially because I'm a grown woman with kids myself!) but i can't help but feel a little bummed. And it does make me think- why are even the canvas LVs so expensive? Don't get me wrong i still love my bag but I just wanted to "talk it out" with others who are willing to shell out the big bucks for these bags :smile:

2. Welcome to the purse forum OP! I hope you don't let other's opinions put a damper on a bag you love. The DE print is so classy looking. There are several reasons I enjoy canvas bags. They are lightweight, easy to clean, and still look great for years to come. If you look at certain well used leather bags on preloved sites, they don't usually age that well with worn corners, etc.

There are many of us who have friends and loved ones who don't understand our addition. It is probably why this forum is so popular with people who love handbags because we can share and celebrate with each other without judgement. Enjoy your new bag!

3. Hi! I have a canvas speedy from 1996 and its so beautiful and its patina is to die for. That's why we love our canvas bags - they look better and better. I have a Saint Lauren bag that's 4 or five years old with skuffs over all. My consignment store didn't want to sell it but the lady told me she would sell my speedy if I wanted. But I never sell my speedy and if someone don't understand why, then it's there problem not mine.

4. Your mom is not wrong, luxury items in general are overpriced, but you are a grown woman and you have the right to make your own decisions and buy what you want and what makes you happy.

Next time you receive negative comments you can say how the bag makes you happy and you deserve it, or you could say nothing at all and know in your heart you're doing what you want because you can. Congrats on your Speedy B, I love that bag! :speedy:

5. I have a Speedy 25 in DE too :smile: I've always loved it. If you think you deserve it, don't let anyone else make you think otherwise. Everyone has their own rewards.

6. My mom bought me my first LV (Speedy 25) for a graduation present 10 years ago. Her reaction was it was a ridiculous amount of money for what it was. Now once she has seen how it holds up and what it can hold she is considering getting one. People's opinions change all the time so just stay true to what you like and want.

7. I agree with the others - the LV canvas holds up so well! I think you picked a great bag that you'll use every day - rain or shine, the DE is work horse material and the Speedy B is so versatile! I don't know about you, but I do not splurge on anything else. We don't eat at fancy restaurants, I don't buy fancy shoes or clothes or jewelry...I don't smoke or drink or spend money every day at Starbucks or eating lunch out. Bags are my one indulgence!

My mom and MIL have no clue how much my bags cost and they'd probably lose their minds if they knew! They have no interest in designer anything. At least I have their ignorance on my side. ;)

8. LV Canvas bags are completely worth the price tag, in my opinion. They are beautiful, functional, durable, versatile...speedy is a classic, so iconic and chic. If it fits your style and your lifestyle, you'll benefit from years of use and enjoyment, making it an excellent purchase!

9. Welcome and join the club! :smile:

Now that you're in this boat, you'll need to learn to start tuning family/friends out who don't understand this addiction. Critics don't realize that they could be spending equal amounts or more on things they love (cars, vacations, hobbies) but 'just because it's a handbag' it shouldn't cost so much? LV is beautiful, versatile, durable (I really hope to pass a few down to my kids) and brings you joy...and if it comes with an expensive price tag then so be it! :okay:

Congrats on your beautiful classic pick btw, savor it! :biggrin:

10. My mother said the exact same thing about my neverfull, but I love the fact the canvas is so light. I have bought mine to replace using my full leather mulberry bayswater everyday as that bag weighs a tonne. I personally think LV is a great choice and I will be purchasing more LV in the future. Enjoy your speedy!!

11. Don't be disheartened - your mother's reaction is actually quite normal and you will probably hear many similar comments as you progress through your designer bag journey. Actually my mother's reaction would be exactly the same. I get around this by not showing her any of my more extravagant purchases. A certain amount of 'baggage' comes with owning very distinctive and quite expensive luxury goods, and you may find that you get all sorts of curious or even jealous comments. Don't let any of it bother you.

I think many of us would agree that these items are certainly overpriced, but we also know that the experience of owning them justifies the outlay. Of relevance to me is the fact that if I wanted to (or needed to) I could sell my bags and lose very little money on them. That cannot be said for many of the things that most people buy for themselves, so in that sense your bag is not such a bad idea.

You now own a designer icon - enjoy!

12. Thanks everyone! I actually didn't even think that the fact that it is canvas does make it so light weight and easy to carry- which is what I love about it! And yes, the obsession has begun so I guess I better get use to the critics from those who don't understand. After buying this I feel like there are so many other items id love to add! But like many of you i don't splurge very often so this was something I've been thinking about and debating for a long time and now that I have it I adore it!
    I knew you all would be the right people to discuss this with. Thank you!! 😘

13. I recently bought my first LV too. It was pre-loved, but in fabulous condition and I'm addicted. It's a 2003 model and it still looks a lot better than the MK bag I carried for less than a year. I love that LV bags are lightweight, maintain their value and last so long. I have a bad back so the weight is a huge factor for me. People are still carrying the same mono bags that have been in style for decades and they still look fresh and stylish.

I've had one rude remark from a family member about my "new" bag and I don't care. We all make choices every day to save or spend. It's nobodies business but mine (and my spouses) what choices I make to make a bag happen. People are going to judge and criticize. That's how they are. I don't care. (honestly, I care a little, but I care less and less every day)

I didn't really "get" the whole designer bag thing either until I wore one. Now I get it. I feel like a bazillion bucks carrying my bag and I'm scheming and dreaming about my next purchase. Don't let the haters get to you.

14. I think of LV this way: my mom carries some beat up bags over the years, spending a good amount of money. I spend also a good amount of money on a couple bags and in 5-10 years can sell them almost for what I purchased them (if I take care of them)!

15. My reply to people saying it's too expensive etc is, "since I worked to earn my wage, i get to decide what I spend it on". I don't let other people tell me what to do with my money.