Workplace Radio silence after final interview...advice needed

missD

O.G.
May 29, 2006
Hi everyone,

So HR of a leading beauty company contacted me via LinkedIn regarding an interview for an open position at their company. She was super responsive via emails and calls throughout the process and I did multiple rounds of interviews and had a sit down with the CEO to discuss current financials/problems and even visited their beauty lab and factory! It sounded like it was going great!

Anyways, my final, final interview with an offsite decision maker was last Monday March 27. She and I hit it off and our scheduled 30 minute call went over 45 minutes! It was really going great.

From that date till now, I've sent 2 polite and casual emails thanking HR person and asking about next steps etc. That's when radio silence set in....No replies. Nothing. It's like she fell off the face of the earth. Before, when things had to be rescheduled, she would be polite/friendly enough to keep me updated etc. Now, it's like I'm dealing with a totally different person!

What gives? At least let me know if the job's gone or some feedback- a short courtesy email at least. Her processes were so professional up to this point. I'm so confused and feel like it was such a waste of time! UGH!

Sorry. I have to vent. Feedback or advice appreciated.

She may not have information to pass on. It sounds like you met with some very senior decision makers and getting their feedback can be like herding cats.

There might be a committee meeting or other meeting where candidates are discussed and offers approved. She may not be at liberty to describe internal processes.

It's only been a few days. I've had the process take months.

Sounds like things went well. Leave it be for now and despite the silence, stay positive.

Maybe they are interviewing others and don't want to respond until they are through speaking with everyone. Additionally, the 27th is actually not too long ago. They may have gotten caught up in something... I would be patient and wait a little longer.

Reactions: yy0015 and missD
It's very normal for candidates to have a laser focus on their job search and outcome, and it's also very normal for the company hiring manager, HR, etc. to be juggling a ton of things in their workdays and finalizing a hiring decision and offer details is only one of them which may or may not be their top priority.

I agree with the other posters that there are likely other things going on internally that she's handling. Things like: completing interviews with any other candidates, chasing down interviewers/hiring manager for feedback, scheduling a decision discussion with the decision maker - who may be out of the office or whose schedule is totally booked, etc -, waiting on internal approvals for an offer package, etc.

I also agree she shouldn't have gone radio silent. A simple "thanks for your follow up, we're still working on things internally. Be back to you ASAP" email would have been professional and respectful.

Hang in there and good luck!

Thanks for all your feedback!

I guess I will wait it out and forget about it. I've already politely reached out twice with no replies so the ball's in their court.

Boggles my mind how they were so:huh:Ooo responsive and quick to reply throughout then entire process except now! :sad:

Hang in there! For my current job, I had a very good interview and after the interview the hiring person said, "We will definitely be in touch to move forward." And I know I hadn't been officially hired yet but that I had a good shot.....Then I didn't hear from anyone for like a whole month. I thought, it was a bit misleading then to say that if they don't have any intention of hiring me. But I got a phone call one month later, stating sorry they had just been busy for a while, but would love to hire me. It was weird. They could have been interviewing other people. But it does make sense now because I get a better vibe of how busy my boss is 24/7 and often forgets about things because she's juggling so much.

Hang in there! For my current job, I had a very good interview and after the interview the hiring person said, "We will definitely be in touch to move forward." And I know I hadn't been officially hired yet but that I had a good shot.....Then I didn't hear from anyone for like a whole month. I thought, it was a bit misleading then to say that if they don't have any intention of hiring me. But I got a phone call one month later, stating sorry they had just been busy for a while, but would love to hire me. It was weird. They could have been interviewing other people. But it does make sense now because I get a better vibe of how busy my boss is 24/7 and often forgets about things because she's juggling so much.

Thank you! Within that month, I'm assuming you emailed to follow up like I did but heard nothing back as well?

Sigh. I hate this waiting game and really appreciate everyone's feedback and insight!

A couple of years ago, friend of mine had received multiple offers but he really wanted to work for this one company with a stellar reputation. He called the hiring manager at his preferred company to ask about his status and tell him that he has other offers. He was told they they couldn't give him any assurances and that they were still in the middle of interviews. So my friend accepted one of the other offers. Six months later, that company called to tell him they would like to offer him the job and he informed them that he is happy with his current one (still is, btw). I hope it doesn't take 6+ months for you but sometimes it just takes time -- hang in there.

Even from the inside, pushing to get our chosen candidate hired, there are many things that hold up the process.

Reactions: lulilu
Just adding my 2 cents - I agree with everything posted here - particularly what @redney and @restricter wrote. I am in a senior role at a large beauty company and it.took.months. before I received my formal offer here. This is a few years ago, but I had an interview with the CEO in early June, an informal telephone interview with the COO at the beginning of August and I received my contract at the end of August. In the weeks I was waiting, I left a voicemail or two and sent an email or two. Sit tight - and holding good thoughts for a successful outcome!

Exact same thing happen to me twice. The reason my current job took so long, was my boss travels like a maniac (she still does). My old job took forever because my old boss told HR she wanted me right away, but the HR person was out sick and then on vacation.

Plenty of people accept one job and then leave quickly after because an offer from company they really want finally came through.