Racist comments

Status
Not open for further replies.
I, too, feel the need to apologize for NYC. Fortunately, this doesn't happen here too much. Unfortunately, it still does happen. I remember after 9-11, one of my idiot students coming into class and boasting that he had beat up someone with a turban (who turned out to be a Sikh anyways). Disgusting.

BellaFiore said:
What happened? I don't understand what was racist in the original post. Did anybody ever stop and think maybe the girl made a stupid honest mistake and might have felt really stupid afterwards? As she should have.

from the original post, it comes down to connotation. the girl who said the phrase was not doing so to be helpful, she was doing so to be snide. and it was not like the original poster and her family was speaking to the girl in spanish, and she was just letting them know she did not speak their language.

i can relate to all of these posts! i was the ONLY asian girl in my predominantly white upper-middle class neighbourhood. it was hell. people would take my things out my cubby hole and destroy them. i would get teased about my lunch. there was a ton of name-calling. no one wanted to play with me. all this before grade 2!! i went home crying almost every day.

even in cities as multi-cultural as Toronto, i still got racist comments. it was completely unbelievable!!

Reading some of the posts here makes me soooo angry! :rant::censor: Being Japanese, i can relate to some of the comments about asians/Chinese/etc and it pisses me off that such racist people seem to be everywhere despite everything. Hello- it's 2006!

Hope that the rest of your trip goes well! :yes:

Yikes!! This is freakin' 2006! I guess it's a modern era with backwoods brains in a few ignorant souls.

Coworkers of mine, a married couple, were moving out of town a couple years ago. He is hispanic, she is caucasian. At their going away party another coworker came up to them, turned to the husband, and said "You probably won't like living in [city] because there aren't many Hawaiians there." Huh? :Push:

Reading these posts reminds me of Jack Nicholson's character in As Good as it Gets. Didn't we all wince like crazy, ew.

Wow, this is really provocative, I tought people would've been more open minded in 2006, but someone's obviously not catching up with the trends.
Anyways, a little comic relief, a friend of mine was in LA, and he was shopping in some kind of grocery store when somehow people found out that he was a foreigner. Anyways, two guys started chatting with him, and it went something like this:
American guys: So, where are you from?
My friend: Norway
American guys: ......
American guys: Really? You don't look asian...

I mean, it's nice that people are welcoming and nice, but even though we have a couple of miles border to Russia, we are located on the west coast of europe, in other words, quite far away from asia.

lamiastella said:
Albiet, I do admit that I tend to stereotype people. When I get on a plane, I do look around to see if there are any "terrorist looking" people. Now...I know what you're all probably thinking. I do look for the typical Arab with facial hair and possibly a turban/hat (I'm sorry, I don't know what they're called!!!) - and I feel absolutely terrible that I look for those things. But again, I think it's a learned behavior. After 9/11 I came to associate terrorists with people from Iran, Saudi Arabia, Syria, etc. But I can say that I have never *intentionally* said anything that could be deemed as racist to somebody.

:sad:

I understand what you are saying, but to me it sounds like you are making excuses. When you say it is learned behavior, that almost makes it sounds as though people should be given leniency...as in you can't teach an old dog new tricks. :shrugs:

After 9/11 my ideas about terrorists were not based on what the media wanted me to believe. There are white terrorists as well. Tim McVeigh anyone? There was nothing Middle Eastern or Muslim about that man. There are terrorists of all religions, nationalities,races,cultres, whatever. I don't look around for someone who looks like they are from the Middle East and I HATE it when people do that. There was an incident on a plane once where a flight attendant called security because "an Arab-looking man was on the plane and he wasn't smiling. When she asked him if he wanted something to drink, he didn't smile at her." I was appalled at such foolishness. And it continues.

mahbag! said:
from the original post, it comes down to connotation. the girl who said the phrase was not doing so to be helpful, she was doing so to be snide. and it was not like the original poster and her family was speaking to the girl in spanish, and she was just letting them know she did not speak their language.

With all due respect. I think your post proves my point exactly.

Snide? I didn't get that from the post. That may have been the OP's perception. I wasn't there so I don't know if she was being snide or not. That being said, I think calling the OP's
experience RACISM is extreme and not an accurate description.

The girl said "no habla espanol". "I don't speak spanish". Okay, she assumed they were of spanish decent and they were not. I believe it was an honest mistake...and if it wasn't a mistake, it may be rude, but certainly it is not racism.

I think we we throw this word around way too much today. I thought some of the other posters experiences were more of an accurate description of racism, unfortunately.

I am sorry to anyone who experiences the true meaning of RACISM.

Status
Not open for further replies.