Racism at my job

It doesnt really sound like racism to me, its sounds more like stupidity. If the guy is, or could possibly be a spy-then why the hell would he still be employed?

Anyway, maybe its because Ive never worked in an environment where a spy would have any need to be around, but this just sounds plain DUMB.

If feel the need to complain, I would deff. NOT go to your boss, go over his head.

I dont know if I was much help, Im kind of confused lol.

Without knowing the background and personality of that Chinese guy, I don't know what to say. But I can see where your coworker is coming from.

There are several people from China working in my company. Earlier when there was this whole Chinese product recalls going on and everybody was talking about it, those people seemed to be a little defensive. One of them actually got pissed off. So my impression on Chinese people is that they are pretty proud of where they came from and are very sensitive to bad news related to Chinese people. As a matter of fact, there were several Western movies being banned by the Chinese government because they were posing bad reputation on them.

There is nothing wrong with being proud of where you come from, whether or not were born in America. Less than 4% of the US population is Asian. Other minority groups in the US have the right to express their pride in their culture: black power, latino pride, etc. Why can't chinese people have Asian pride? Being proud of one's ethnic background does not make the person any less American. And there is a reason why chinese people are "sensitive" to bad news related to chinese people. Asians get very little media exposure as it is compared to other minority groups. It seems that whenever they do get attention, it's always for something negative. The worst thing is, whenever anyone speaks up, they are told to just get over it because it is no big deal. The model minority does not challenge anything.

I'm not attacking you. I just do not agree with your statement.

I have to ask why you being Asian, makes you feel an obligation to do something?
This isn't the first time he's said something stupid. I'd say ignore it, they know he's an idiot.

Actually, this is the first time he has said something like this. I just feel like this is something that is very unfair and it could have easily been me that was targeted. The only reason I wasn't is because I was born in the US and am a non-Chinese Asian while the Chinese guy originally came over as an international student. He's a quiet guy and I have never once heard him say anything pro-China.

I wouldn't really consider that racism. I would ask if it might be possible. But I agree with someone else that it really isn't something you should waste your energy on. And it sounds like the kind of thing that could really get blown out of proportion and cause major problems.

I agree that the guy is definitely stupid, but not necessarily racist.

I wouldn't complain to the boss OR go over their head. I've found out the hard way that when you go behind your boss' back (even if they are in the wrong), the situation isn't likely to end well.

I would file an anonymous complaint with HR. That way they are aware of the situation and they can handle it accordingly without you having to put your job on the line...

I'm sorry but that is how intelligence works. CIA, spies, and other intelligence agencies do infiltrate local companies and work alongside locals. This has been going on for years and years and years. Intelligence agencies sometimes open businesses in the local economy and you would never know it. It's not that I'm on a wild guess here. I was an instructor for many years in the military until I got out in the 90's. Now I'm not saying that we should be trying to do an "Orson Welles" on people who are of different ethnic backgrounds than us but at least be open to the possibilities. It's called spying, intelligence gathering, counterespionage, etc. Ciao!

There is nothing wrong with being proud of where you come from, whether or not were born in America. Less than 4% of the US population is Asian. Other minority groups in the US have the right to express their pride in their culture: black power, latino pride, etc. Why can't chinese people have Asian pride? Being proud of one's ethnic background does not make the person any less American. And there is a reason why chinese people are "sensitive" to bad news related to chinese people. Asians get very little media exposure as it is compared to other minority groups. It seems that whenever they do get attention, it's always for something negative. The worst thing is, whenever anyone speaks up, they are told to just get over it because it is no big deal. The model minority does not challenge anything.

I'm not attacking you. I just do not agree with your statement.

No, it's all good. But I'm not trying to say having "Asian pride" is wrong. In this case, it's not even Asian pride, pure "Chinese". Having pride in their culture is one thing, getting over defensive or offensive is another thing. Maybe I'm just being unlucky, but I don't have many good experiences with Chinese immigrants on American issues. Furthermore, this Chinese colleague being discussed on is not even an American yet.

Lack of exposure to media only applies to people who are still in China. Once they're outside, they're free to read whatever they like. If they choose to read only Chinese publications, then it's called cherry-picking media.

I don't agree with your last statement. I am one of those to tell people to get it and stop whining. It's bad for the person's health and it's really not going to change people's impression on you. If they really want to do something - actions are bigger than words.

No, it's all good. But I'm not trying to say having "Asian pride" is wrong. In this case, it's not even Asian pride, pure "Chinese". Having pride in their culture is one thing, getting over defensive or offensive is another thing. Maybe I'm just being unlucky, but I don't have many good experiences with Chinese immigrants on American issues. Furthermore, this Chinese colleague being discussed on is not even an American yet.

Lack of exposure to media only applies to people who are still in China. Once they're outside, they're free to read whatever they like. If they choose to read only Chinese publications, then it's called cherry-picking media.

I don't agree with your last statement. I am one of those to tell people to get it and stop whining. It's bad for the person's health and it's really not going to change people's impression on you. If they really want to do something - actions are bigger than words.

You need a hug. :flowers:

Hmmm, I'm Chinese but NOT from China. ( Not all Chinese are from China. That's what people always think. ;( )

I'm kinda ashamed at what China people do and dont like the marjority of the higher class people in China BUT there are seriously a lot of them who's nice.

Hmmm, anyway, lets say if I'm to say Race Z are all idiots and stupid, and if you're from Race Z, wouldnt you get pissed too?

I totally hate it when people say all Chinese are scammers. I know there's alot of scams that from CHINA, but that doesnt point to the whole Chinese population. I will get defensive and get offended by it bcos when you're say Chinese are scammers, you're including me ( and I'm not. )

Kinda off topic but I saw what some other tpfer said and couldnt help myself. Sorry! :sweatdrop:

I'm Asian and I don't feel like this is racism because you guys are facing competition from China and this guy is Chinese, it's not like the latino singled out the Chinese guy for no reason or just because he's Chinese. There is a reason. The reason is that your company is facing competition from China and this guy is also from China.

It's far fetched to believe that he is a spy but it IS possible.
Racism when you dislike a person for no reason solely due to their race. That's not the case here. There are other circumstances at hand.

I am sorry you didn't have any great experience with Chinese immigrants on American issues so far, hope some of us Chinese TPFers will give you a different experience. However, I do find highlighted statement a bit odd. Just becuase one is not a citizen of this country, any racism related issues he/she encountered does not matter?

To OP, if your co-worker questions Chinese worker's 'loyalty', why he didn't forward his concern to HR? It sounds more of a discrimination to me than racism.

I'm Asian and I don't feel like this is racism because you guys are facing competition from China and this guy is Chinese, it's not like the latino singled out the Chinese guy for no reason or just because he's Chinese. There is a reason. The reason is that your company is facing competition from China and this guy is also from China.

It's far fetched to believe that he is a spy but it IS possible.
Racism when you dislike a person for no reason solely due to their race. That's not the case here. There are other circumstances at hand.

whoa...he's Chinese so he can be a spy? That's like Ford keeping tabs on all Japanese workers because they might be spying for Toyota. It's discrimination, racial profiling, and absurd.