Quite a few newbie questions!

Laura88

Dec 2, 2011
I am completely new to buying Balenciaga and am really excited that I can finally afford it. I have never purchased a bag that has cost more than say $120 so this is quite a big investment for me. I live in the UK fairly near London. So I can either buy off of the UK website or head into London and go to the Balenciaga shop or Harrods, Selfridges etc wherever they sell Bal.

I'm extremely torn between getting a part time or a city. I am 5ft 9in and of normal build so I want the bag to look appropriate on me. I won't be using my Bbag for work because i'm a nurse and there's no way i'd risk leaving it in my locker. So it'll just be for when i'm off work and i'll just be needing carry my iPhone, wallet, keys, etc.

I could head into London and see what I think of the city or part time in person but to be honest i'm a bit nervous about it. I have never purchased anything designer before so i'm worried that i'll just embarrass myself or the sales assistants won't be very friendly. I don't wear 'expensive' clothes and am 23 years old so I get worried they might not take me seriously in the shop.
As I don't know much about Balenciaga, do places like Harrods, Selfridges, the Bal store stock most styles of the bags all the time? Say for instance if I wanted a black gsh part time would they most likely have that in stock the majority of the time?

My next dilemma is if I get a black gsh part time or city, I would also like another bag with a pop of colour like bleu lavande or something else so I was considering getting that. But it worries me that it wouldn't go well with my wardrobe. I am a Topshop girl when it comes to clothes. I tend to live in skinny jeans with ballet pump or knee high boots and quite plain tops with scarves or style it up with jewellery. I wear a lot of beige, black and grey. Hence why i'd like a pop of colour as well as a basic black bag!

If anyone could give me some advice i'd really appreciate it, i've got all these questions going around in my head. As it is a big purchase I don't want to make a mistake and get the wrong thing and regret it.

Anyway hopefully soon i'll have my first reveal photos to post!

Thanks in advance.

Hi Laura, Black GSH is such a cool combo & sounds like it would fit right in with your wardrobe & style.
If possible trying on the various styles & choosing the leather in person is by far the better option, as you mentioned IT IS a big ticket item!
You may want to find out where the closest Bal boutique or seller is located, give them a call & see if they have a Blk GSH City AND PT, that way you know they have them in store & it will not be a wasted trip.
mmmmm as for the SA's, yes some can be a little rude, hopefully a UK/London tPF member can recommend their SA??????
Have you checked out any of the shopping threads?
http://forum.purseblog.com/balenciaga-shopping/
.....or maybe even take a friend into the Boutique with you for moral support?????
Good luck finding your first perfect Bal

The girls at Mount Street are very friendly. Don't worry too much about snobby SA, after all they are WORKING and you are the one who is BUYING. They can be snooty all they like but you hold the cash.

If you are not a big bag lady, I believe City is good/big enough. But do give it a try before you commit cause it's a big ticket item...colors wise sounded like black will serve you well.

That's my opinion anyway.

I agree - the SAs at Mount Street are very friendly. You can always ask them to give you a bit of time alone with the bags so you can try on and decide. You will be astounded by the drawers of bbags and the amazing colours they stock. Selfridges and Harvey Nichols have Bal counters but variety may be limited. Theres also Browns Fashion you can check out.

As for the size, I think it's best to try it out in person - I always thought I was a part time person until I carried it and it was too long for me. Finally settled on City and Maxi Twiggy style. Finally, if you don't see anything you like, don't hesitate to say thank you and leave the shop. It's an expensive investment and you should be very happy with the bag you get. Good luck!

What is different about Balenciaga Bags is that each one is slightly different. You should definitely go to London and ask the SA to bring out ALL the Black GSH part times and cities. Feel each one, and notice the different grains/distressing etc. on each bag. Pick the one that you have the best gut reaction to. It's very personal. Don't ask for advice from the SA....just pick the one that feels and looks "the best" to you. Transfer all the stuff in the bag you are wearing that day into the City and then into the Part Time. See how each one holds its shape and feels when you put it on. You could take an hour doing this. Take your time and screw the SA if they don't like it. Many of us here buy bags this way.

See how you like the new bag you just bought...maybe take a month...before deciding on the next 'pop' color. You might get the part time in the black and later a pop color in a City.

Finally, if you don't see anything you like, don't hesitate to say thank you and leave the shop. It's an expensive investment and you should be very happy with the bag you get. Good luck!

Very true indeed. don't give in to pressure and spur of the moment and then regret later. They will not hate you for not buying :smile:

Walk away from it. Say you will think about it...

Hi Laura,

My first Bbag was a part time and i love it. I'm 5'6 and sometimes i feel like its too big on me but I love big bags coz I carry a lot of stuffs with me all the time. lol. I think a part time would be really cute on you since your taller. And also, don't stress yourself out in purchasing your first balenciaga bag. You should enjoy and make the experience memorable. :biggrin: I would also recommend for you to check out www.lovebbags.com. The blogger is really helpful and very informative. Anyways, good luck to you and whatever you decide on I'm sure you will love it.

Thanks for the great replies everyone. I think i'm stressing way too much over something that should be enjoyable. I'm going to pluck up the courage and go to London with my best friend because I think it'll be good to have someone else's opinion.
Love the LoveBbag blog, thanks for that! I'll let you all know how I get on, so excited!!!

Hi Laura8 :flowers: welcome to Bal! I would definitely make it a girl's day and go into London to see what you think! I totally understand concern over SAs not being polite because sometimes that happens, but there are many that are fabulous.

When I was new to Bal the mod shots thread in this forum was extremely helpful!
http://forum.purseblog.com/balenciaga/photos-wearing-your-bbags-pictures-only-37346.html

I would chose a size that will fit your belongings the best. I have seen many tall girls with small bags and they look great! My first Bal was a GSH Black City and it was a great place to start.

The best part is that you are close enough to visit Bals in real life. Bal has so many leather, hardware and styles choices! Something for everyone, enjoy the discovery!

Hugs to you, have fun and please post back to let us know what you decided on for your first Bal ------------- if you are like the rest of us, it won't be your last! :graucho:

Oh you are so lucky that you are close to London and can see these bags IRL!
I have spoken to the SA's in the Mount Street Boutique on the phone and they have all been very friendly.
Try all the styles on and see which you like best - don't forget to try the Town as you have the height to carry off the long strap and it is such a cute size.
Good luck - and let us know what you decide upon!

Hi Laura88, I agree with most of the opinions posted here, they all give excellent advice. I wish I am as wise as you to surf the purse forum before I bought my first Balenciaga bag. At that time, I was a complete newbie, not knowing what colours to pick, what kinds of leather Bal has, how to take care of Bal bags., etc and made many mistakes along the way. One thing I advise is that if you see a bag you like but not entirely sure about it, you may ask them to hold the bag for you. I am not sure if they do that in London boutique but the local boutique here can hold the bags for its clients for up to 2-3 days. In that case, you can cool down your mind and think about this purchase before forking out your hard earn money. HTH.

The Mount Street SAs are very friendly, both in the phone and in person. Why don't you call them beforehand and ask what they have in stock? I've bought from Harrods before too, and that was OK. Although they are not as friendly as the Mount Street staff, they are very polite and professional, and used to dealing with people from all over the world. Good luck!

Laura88-

I feel a lot like you! I am new here as well and am trying to pick my first bag also!
The nearest place for me is 5 hrs away--so I am going through my Nordstrom store --the manager of the handbag department is helping me and showing what Nordstrom has--I have to buy the bags- have them sent to me- then return the ones I don't want! Don't you love Nordstrom's??
My husband is nervous that I will get 4 or 5 delivered then want them all!

I am going City or Velo--and still can't decide on the color!

Let us know what you end up with!
Thanks for your comment--

The Mount Street SAs are very friendly, both in the phone and in person. Why don't you call them beforehand and ask what they have in stock? I've bought from Harrods before too, and that was OK. Although they are not as friendly as the Mount Street staff, they are very polite and professional, and used to dealing with people from all over the world. Good luck!

Thanks! I think I will definitely phone Mount Street and try them as my first port of call and see how I get on from there.

I've pretty much decided on getting a black GSH part time or city and either Bleu Lavande RGGH or Coquelicot GSH part time or city.

Laura88-

I feel a lot like you! I am new here as well and am trying to pick my first bag also!
The nearest place for me is 5 hrs away--so I am going through my Nordstrom store --the manager of the handbag department is helping me and showing what Nordstrom has--I have to buy the bags- have them sent to me- then return the ones I don't want! Don't you love Nordstrom's??
My husband is nervous that I will get 4 or 5 delivered then want them all!

I am going City or Velo--and still can't decide on the color!

Let us know what you end up with!
Thanks for your comment--

It is really hard to decide on a colour isn't it! So many gorgeous ones to choose from.

I'm not surprised your husband is nervous! I told my boyfriend the other day how much a Balenciaga costs and to say he was shocked is an understatement! Yet he quite easily spends the same amount on computers games, clothes etc over a couple of months and doesn't have much to show for it.

Nordstrom sounds really helpful! It makes such a difference and the whole process much more enjoyable!