Food QUICK Tip Please! Bake Butternut?

Purses

Feb 24, 2007
Hi!
I have butternut squash in the oven. I cut it in half, scooped out the seeds and I'm trying to bake it. At what temperature should it cook at and for how long?

I'd put it on greased foil and bake it at 400-425 for about 30-45 minutes, or till it is soft. If you want it to caramelize a bit, brush some oil on the cut edges and place down on foil.

I'd put it on greased foil and bake it at 400-425 for about 30-45 minutes, or till it is soft. If you want it to caramelize a bit, brush some oil on the cut edges and place down on foil.

You saved me!!!:yahoo:

I had it facing up so that the skin was at the bottom. As soon as I saw your post, I got my oil out, poured some on the pan and turned it over. My mother used to make this and I didn't like it when it was mushy. Can the squash be slightly on the harder side?

You saved me!!!:yahoo:

I had it facing up so that the skin was at the bottom. As soon as I saw your post, I got my oil out, poured some on the pan and turned it over. My mother used to make this and I didn't like it when it was mushy. Can the squash be slightly on the harder side?

Oh yes, definitely just check it with a knife or something and bake it till it's as soft/hard as you like....I like it soft, so I tend to bake longer. :yes:

I find that butter works a little better with butternut squash if you aren't concerned about the calories or cholesterol. Brown sugar might be a nice touch too.

The last time I made it, I seem to remember doing 450 in the oven. You really want the caramelization. It's delicious :biggrin:

I find that butter works a little better with butternut squash if you aren't concerned about the calories or cholesterol. Brown sugar might be a nice touch too.

The last time I made it, I seem to remember doing 450 in the oven. You really want the caramelization. It's delicious :biggrin:

Yes, for caramalization 400 is too low, it would have to be minimum 425. If I just want it to cook till soft, I use 400.