Quick question re: material on sophia....

Gmag75

Dec 17, 2011
Ok, so I've been rambling in a different thread about getting a camel patent large sophia. But since I was invited to the online sale, there's a large gathered madison sophia! So here's my question....Is the gathered leather smooshier (sorry, i know it's not an actual word) than patent? I don't have a large sophia. I had one for a few days and sold it. I didn't like how it was right under my armpit. But I really want to try one again.

So, do you gals like the gathered material better than patent? I want my large sophia to be soft. Also, which color is better as far as a neutral bag that'll go with almost everything? Bone or parchment in gathered or camel patent? Thanks!!

sandyclaws

Mrs. F
Apr 27, 2010
NWA
from what i've seen the leather does get smooshier.....i dont own one but one of the COACH SA brought out hers to show me and its looks AWESOME!! i tried large sohpias and i didn't like them b/c they are so HUGE but the large gathered sophias seems to be all smooshy and i love it! to me it didn't like the other large sohpias in size.....i'm sure that if you buy it brand new it might be a lil stiff but in time im sure it'll be nice....

Gmag75

Dec 17, 2011
from what i've seen the leather does get smooshier.....i dont own one but one of the COACH SA brought out hers to show me and its looks AWESOME!! i tried large sohpias and i didn't like them b/c they are so HUGE but the large gathered sophias seems to be all smooshy and i love it! to me it didn't like the other large sohpias in size.....i'm sure that if you buy it brand new it might be a lil stiff but in time im sure it'll be nice....
Thanks Sandyclaws!! Okay, now I'm hapy I got a gathered sophia! What about the color? I wanted a neutral color. So in your opinion what color do you like better bone with brass hardware or parchment with silver hardware?

sandyclaws

Mrs. F
Apr 27, 2010
NWA
...they're kinda the same aren't they? i haven't seen them so i'm not really sure? i had a parchement leather bag and i loved it....but i personally would like to have a BONE gathered compared to the parchement b/c my guess is that the parchment is going to be whiter? but its really up to you i'm sure they're both really nice bags...i used to not LIKE any bags with brass hardware but i've learned to love them all...so if you like silver hardware over brass maybe that can help you choose?

SophieChic

Oct 6, 2011
Sierra Nevada Mountains CA
I have parchment with silver hardware in the smooth leather and it is a true white with kind of a shimmery undertone (it's awesome). Bone is more of an off white. I think bone would be the more neutral color.

happybag

I shop for sport
Jan 3, 2010
Ok, so I've been rambling in a different thread about getting a camel patent large sophia. But since I was invited to the online sale, there's a large gathered madison sophia! So here's my question....Is the gathered leather smooshier (sorry, i know it's not an actual word) than patent? I don't have a large sophia. I had one for a few days and sold it. I didn't like how it was right under my armpit. But I really want to try one again.

So, do you gals like the gathered material better than patent? I want my large sophia to be soft. Also, which color is better as far as a neutral bag that'll go with almost everything? Bone or parchment in gathered or camel patent? Thanks!!
Gathered is MUCH smooshier than the patent used on the camel patent Sophia. Both are very nice bags, but if you like smooshy and soft I'd go with gathered. The Madison patent is more structured.

On the other hand, patent is more durable for rainy/snowy days of winter, but it's not invincible. Patent can get color transfer from dark or bright fabrics and it's nearly impossible to remove based on what others have posted in this subforum.

PickyCoachLover

MoreRoseGoldPlease
O.G.
Jun 9, 2010
This is not really too relevant, but i wanted to put it out there. There are two different parchment gathereds, just as an fyi...there is the Parchment old style (1594-), and then the new style Sophia (18620). These two parchments, while both having silver hardware, are different in shades and interior colors. The old style is a bright white, (with grey undertones to make it extra white) while the new style has a slight cream shade to it...not like Bone, but a light cream tone. It is not as bright white (gathered or regular leather) as the original Parchment gathered.
The old style has lavender lining, while the new style has mauve.

I prefer the newer style color in gathered, but the old style color in regular leather due to it being really shiny and bright.

For those scared of bright white, you might want to consider the new Parchment. It's toned down some, lol!

whateve

Authenticator
O.G.
May 10, 2010
I have both gathered and patent Sophias and I love them both, but the gathered is definitely smooshier. The patent is great for durability. The patent makes it a little stiff.
I think that all the colors that you mentioned are neutral.

Gmag75

Dec 17, 2011
Thanks so much for all your input!! So I decided to get the bone! And pickycoachlover, the parchment they had was the older sophia so it the whiter one. I did see the newer parchment online and it almost looks like the bone color. So thanks for the info! :smile:
Whateve, that makes me feel better that I got the gathered then! I really want the large Sophia to be soft so it can have a slouchy look to it. I'm soooo excited!!! They shipped it today!!! :lol: