quick help needed!!

Sep 25, 2008
So, I have located the James Perse dress in my avatar that I have been despreately searching for for months. There is only 1 and it is a size 4 (JP size 4 = generous large). Is it realistic to think I could tailor this down? I am a size 4/6, usually a S/M and this dress will be 1 and probably 2 sizes too big for me. I will pay any amount to tailor this (well, within reason). Composition is 20% wool, 25% poly, 55% viscose knit.

Thoughts please? I need to act fast here and make a decision within the next few minutes!!! Heeeeeelp!

EDIT: I ordered it (I've been told, back in December, that this was no longer being made, so I feel like this one dress is probably the only one available). ADVICE ON TAILORING STILL NEEDED!

Last edited:
I lost quite a bit of weight and had a lot of my pants taken in but a 10ish down to a 6ish just didn't look right and the fit was weird. I had to get rid of most of them and buy new.
I think taken in 1 size is OK but for me I had a hard time with more than that. I was really sad too as I LOVED some of the stuff I had to let go :cry:

honestly i think the fit could be off if you get it taken in that much. it'll cost a lot because it'll be like building a new dress using the fabric- particularly because JP runs big.

but, it certainly doesn't hurt to take the dress in and ask about it! hopefully you'll find a good tailor willing to make it work!

Thank you thank you. Helpful responses. Not that I need them anymore because James Perse customer service just emailed me to confirm my 'request for order cancellation'. Which I didn't request. Wtf?! And they're closed now so I can't call until tomorrow. And of course, yes, this was the only dress of any size and colour in this style they had listed.

ARGH! I will call them tomorrow and try to bully/sugarcoat them into finding me this dress. Sigh.

Mmm..... not sure how tailoring a knit would really work...? The 4 would be giant on you. Is it machine washable, maybe you could shrink it a little? Even then it would be huge. Keep looking!

I may have seen that at Nordstrom Rack a week ago... do you have any near you? I recall flipping through the James Perse section and thinking "These are some really long dresses!" but I was looking only for cashmere cardigans so I didn't take a good look.

tb-purselover - where should I post for it? Do you mean other forums?

pugtolove - Yep, I scour the Bay at least once every 24 hours for this dress (I can get crazy obsessed over certain items and the obsession only gets worse when I can't locate them) - this dress has, within the past 3 months, not once shown up on eBay. Lots of other James Perse maxi dresses but never this specific one - and it is this one I want. :sad:

True Religion - I'm in Canada so we are Nordstrom-less. Can you give me the location of this store you may have seen it at so I can Google them and call them up? I called a James Perse retailer in Denmark a few weeks ago looking for this dress so I reckon California should be easier. At least they'll speak English!