quick help needed!!

1. The Nordstrom Anniversary Sale 2019 Early Access is now open to Nordstrom card members! Please support TPF by using this link before shopping the sale. We're also giving away eight $200 gift cards to 8 lucky TPFers during the duration of the NAS! Find out more...
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. #1 Feb 3, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
    So, I have located the James Perse dress in my avatar that I have been despreately searching for for months. There is only 1 and it is a size 4 (JP size 4 = generous large). Is it realistic to think I could tailor this down? I am a size 4/6, usually a S/M and this dress will be 1 and probably 2 sizes too big for me. I will pay any amount to tailor this (well, within reason). Composition is 20% wool, 25% poly, 55% viscose knit.

Thoughts please? I need to act fast here and make a decision within the next few minutes!!! Heeeeeelp!

EDIT: I ordered it (I've been told, back in December, that this was no longer being made, so I feel like this one dress is probably the only one available). ADVICE ON TAILORING STILL NEEDED!

2. I think you will need a really great tailor to take it in that much :s

3. Urgh, I know. It is a simple design, maybe this will help?

4. I lost quite a bit of weight and had a lot of my pants taken in but a 10ish down to a 6ish just didn't look right and the fit was weird. I had to get rid of most of them and buy new.
    I think taken in 1 size is OK but for me I had a hard time with more than that. I was really sad too as I LOVED some of the stuff I had to let go :cry:

5. honestly i think the fit could be off if you get it taken in that much. it'll cost a lot because it'll be like building a new dress using the fabric- particularly because JP runs big.

but, it certainly doesn't hurt to take the dress in and ask about it! hopefully you'll find a good tailor willing to make it work!

6. good luck with this. i've done this a few times when i've really wanted something and in most cases it has worked out.

7. Thank you thank you. Helpful responses. Not that I need them anymore because James Perse customer service just emailed me to confirm my 'request for order cancellation'. Which I didn't request. Wtf?! And they're closed now so I can't call until tomorrow. And of course, yes, this was the only dress of any size and colour in this style they had listed.

ARGH! I will call them tomorrow and try to bully/sugarcoat them into finding me this dress. Sigh.

8. Mmm..... not sure how tailoring a knit would really work...? The 4 would be giant on you. Is it machine washable, maybe you could shrink it a little? Even then it would be huge. Keep looking!

9. Before tailoring it try and list a in search of a trade, your size 1,2 for my size 4. I've done that on craigslist and other forums and have been lucky to have it work out.

10. Have you looked on *bay? I saw quite a few, some of the styles are so similar though, I couldn't really tell. You should look.

11. I may have seen that at Nordstrom Rack a week ago... do you have any near you? I recall flipping through the James Perse section and thinking "These are some really long dresses!" but I was looking only for cashmere cardigans so I didn't take a good look.

12. tb-purselover - where should I post for it? Do you mean other forums?

pugtolove - Yep, I scour the Bay at least once every 24 hours for this dress (I can get crazy obsessed over certain items and the obsession only gets worse when I can't locate them) - this dress has, within the past 3 months, not once shown up on eBay. Lots of other James Perse maxi dresses but never this specific one - and it is this one I want. :sad:

True Religion - I'm in Canada so we are Nordstrom-less. Can you give me the location of this store you may have seen it at so I can Google them and call them up? I called a James Perse retailer in Denmark a few weeks ago looking for this dress so I reckon California should be easier. At least they'll speak English!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice