Quick! Diamond Help.

the1kayladawn

<3 <3 <3
O.G.
Mar 4, 2012
My situation is this, I'm getting a diamond at cost through a jeweller friend.

DF proposed with a 1.30 solitaire, SI2 G Ideal cut. I loved it until I was able to see a huge inclusion poking out from the prong. It was EGL USA certified.

I have always been self conscious of my hands, and thought the 1.30 was big enough to look the way a 1 carat looks on people with smaller hands.

I couldn't handle the stone, so it was returned, and my semi-mount has been mounted with a 1 carat cubic just so I had something in the mean time and could wear my ring. Haven't necessarily minded the one carat, but was weird to go from my 1.3 to the 1.

My friend who has a 1.20 carat center in her 3 stone commented that I don't want a one carat because that's too small.

It's also important to note that I don't care about it being GIA necessarily, just looking good... Eye clean... Near colorless, very good - excellent cut.

1.04 ct GIA G VS2 "Lazare" Ideal cut diamond

1.30 ct EGL International VS1 E color, hearts and arrows.

Both for the same price.

I know that the EGL international stones aren't accurate but truthfully I would be happy with a 1.30 SI1 H color, so that gives the stone a lot of room for error.

What do you think I should do? My mother also went around telling everyone that I had a 1.30 carat diamond........

The attached pic is with the original 1.30. I will take a pic of the 1.00 cubic on my hand and submit it after.

Attachments

• 10566626_10152596837369851_1455552292_n.jpg
    10566626_10152596837369851_1455552292_n.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 946
Also, I have to make a decision very soon as our engagement party is aug 16 & the goldsmith needs time to mount the stone.

Currently I am leaning toward the 1.04 ct lazare because I've seen it and know it's beautiful. The EGL international I have to wait again (2 rejected stones later) to see if it's any good.

Thoughts?

I would say either keep looking in their stock, or get a refund and get a stone elsewhere. I would never accept an EGL international. Ever. You have no idea what that really is,

Neither is really a favorable option and you're settling for a smaller stone to be done on a timetable or a lesser quality stone with an inferior report to be done. This "friend" is not working for your best interests. I'd get my money back and go elsewhere. Even Blue Nile. You can have your new stone from there set in your setting by another jeweler.

To be completely honest, I cried a lot over this whole situation. DF thought the first stone was fine, but I couldn't stand that big of an inclusion in direct light. It would bother me forever.

I am to the point where I just want a nice stone. I don't necessarily care about it being a one carat.... I just want the grief to be over with.

The one that came in today was SI1 F EGL international, and while the cut and color were fine, once again... visible inclusions... I told him I wanted eye clean. Getting fed up.

I'd consider and AGS/GIA diamond from Blue Nile before I'd touch anything EGL Intl (call me a snob, but - gross!). They can ship fairly quickly too http://www.bluenile.com/ca/shipping

I'd reach out to the US online sellers (Whiteflash, Good Old Gold, Brian Gavin, James Allen etc) as well and see what their turnaround time for loose diamonds is; however, assuming it has to go through customs, I wouldn't be hopeful of getting it set into a ring by Aug 16.

I'd consider and AGS/GIA diamond from Blue Nile before I'd touch anything EGL Intl (call me a snob, but - gross!). They can ship fairly quickly too http://www.bluenile.com/ca/shipping

I'd reach out to the US online sellers (Whiteflash, Good Old Gold, Brian Gavin, James Allen etc) as well and see what their turnaround time for loose diamonds is; however, assuming it has to go through customs, I wouldn't be hopeful of getting it set into a ring by Aug 16.

If he'll give us our money back. He's had it for over a month now.

Tell him you want your money back. He's not looking in the right places bec he wants to make a profit. Get that refund first. If you have to have a party with a CZ then so be it. No one is gonna know any better.

Get the money back. First and foremost.

You can also go down to an H color and VS Clarity from a legit lab like GIA or AGS (don't even bother with the others).

Don't settle. It's a lot of money. Get your money's worth.

I am going to be very blunt here: you bought from someone who is not your friend. You did not buy this diamond "at cost." You bought this diamond at Retail. NEVER do business with "Friends." This person did you no favors, and will continue to do you no favors. This person is doing his job which is to make money off of you and this sale. He will continue to do his job, which is to continue not looking out for your best interests and what you want. He is likely going through what he has in stock, and not searching for what is actually on the market everywhere, which is why you've only been given three stones to choose from in the price range you have, and none of which is what you're asking for. It's because he's not doing what is best for you and this relationship, it's what's best for his bottom line. Get your money back NOW.