Quick advice about my Bayswater

rachiem

O.G.
Sep 7, 2007
Maybe a bit off thread but
I won the blue Bayswater last night which I'm really excited about.
The seller has emailed me to say that she posted it by Special delivery but it cost £4 more than expected.
She has asked me to paypal her the £4
Do you think this is reasonable. I was told in the auction that p&p was £4.50 now she wants £4 more, do you think I should send it to her or do you think I'm being a bit tight, as I did get it for a good price.
Saying that, she actually won the bag in a raffle..

I can see why youre annoyed as she should have stated in the listing exactly what she wanted to charge for postage costs but I do think it is a fair request as this way the bag reaches you the next day and is insured (no hassle etc) and it would have cost her about £8-£12 to send a bays by next day special delivery.

How bout you receive the bag and if youre happy with it only then send her the money?

yeah that's an idea or offer her half the difference?
I've ebayed for years and have often been caught out by postage but have never asked anyone for more money.
Saying that, she's quite new and there's so many people out there just trying to make an honest living etc.

Yes you could do that. Id say wait until tomorrow until you see the bag and then can see how much she paid and decide what you want to do and if youre in love with your bag could make her happy! Keep us posted :smile:

yeah that's an idea or offer her half the difference?
I've ebayed for years and have often been caught out by postage but have never asked anyone for more money.
Saying that, she's quite new and there's so many people out there just trying to make an honest living etc.

Me too, Ive often lost out due to misquoting on postage costs, however that is my mistake and I wouldnt dream of requesting the buyer to make up the difference :nogood:

Oh dear I have just congratulated the colour in other thread - it's annoying isn't it... Bit cheeky of the seller really when you think about 100% pure profit of the sales - well as Flossie says it's a relatively small amount... :sad:

If a person is asking for £4 they must be in a tight spot financially, for that reason I'd say pay the £4 (these current times are not kind on anyone) but I would advise kindly to them that yes I'll pay to do them a favour but mention that it is their responsibility to ensure their postage costs are correct at auction.

Its her fault really for under-estimating the postage, I mean its not exactly a light item is it and its quite easy to get a postage quote!

Anyway, as its only £4 I would just pay it.

I have never asked for more money for postage if I've underquoted - its my fault - however, if I have OVER-quoted by A LOT I will normally send them a little refund on the postage cost - after all, its not worth the negative feedback for over quoted postage!

The fact that she didn't pay for the bag in the first place is neither here nor there really, you know how much the bag is worth and you agreed to pay the price - just because she won it doesn't make it worth any less it just means that she's made a profit!

Personally I think she is being a bit cheeky in asking for the extra. Before I auction anything, i weigh it and work out the postage using royal mail. A few times I have under-quoted and just paid the difference myself. If it ever costs less than I quote I would repay the difference. But to keep the peace I would pay. As maplecottage says, if she is asking for £4, she must be in a bind - though I would advise her to get a more accurate figure for postage in future before selling her items. Hope you are happy with the bag when it arrives!

I think she's being really cheeky, tbh. I quoted £10 for my Emmy assuming it would be £8.25 special delivery. It turned out to be £22 :Push: What could I do? I just paid it and that was that. tbh, in my case, if I'd quoted the shipping at £22,I reckon I'd have gotten far fewer bids.

Rachie, was it a BIN? If it was, then no, don't pay the extra. If it was an auction, I'd perhaps feel a bit sorry for her that it went so low and would pay the extra.

Its hard really although I wouldn't definitely say that she was in a bind because she was asking for £4, some people are just adament that they shouldn't have to be out of pocket!

I have just looked at the listing. Did you ask her to send the bag by Special instead of Recorded - which was what was offered for the £4.00? If you asked for Special then I am not surprised that she is asking you for more. If she chose to send it that way herself, she is being cheeky by increasing the price.