Questions re Limited/Special Edition bags

sme99

O.G.
Sep 28, 2010
Why do Mulberry make Limited or Special edition bags, and is the RRP usually less or more than standard price? Why do limited/special edition Bays not have a key& padlock, and/or studs underneath? It seems they often come in different finishes to standard e.g. metallic. Has anyone owned one and do they find the finish rubs off in places?

I have bought 'specials ' in the past. Then the leather seemed thinner. However recently I've noticed the leather is a much better quality. They do some lovely colours especially in the East West. I think the absence of cloche etc is a financial one although I may be wrong here.

Be careful Sme- there are two types of "specials/limited edition bags" so beware on ebay. Mulberry do retail special limited editions which are normally more expensive - leather, colour etc and these have the feet and cloche etc.

Outlet specials can have feet and cloche too but often dont and arent "retail "standard- they use different leathers etc - normally a bit cheaper than full retail ones- so beware most of the specials on ebay are imo overpriced ex outlet bags- they can be lovely but just know what you are buying and watch the price accordingly!!

When people talk of limited edition bags I think they are usually referring to seasonal colours. So, for example, alexa is always made in oak and black and you can buy both those colours from one season to the next. This season the alexa also came in grape and plum, these colours will not be available next season. the price on these is the same as the oak and black I think. Last season leather leopard print alexas were available for £100 more than the standard black and oak. I have no idea why some leather colourways cost more than others (maybe the leopard leather cost more to produce?). The alexa also came in hairy leopard this season and that one cost way more (maybe around £1500?). The hairy bags are usually more pricey.

When people talk about special editions i think they are usually referring to bags made specifically for the mulberry outlets (you would not be able to buy them anywhere else). The bays without cloche and feet is an example of this. These bays retail for a little less thean the standard ones in mulberry concessions and stores. they are still beautiful bags though and they represent a less expensive way to get your hands on a piece of mulberry magic.

Hope that helps a bit xxs

Be careful Sme- there are two types of "specials/limited edition bags" so beware on ebay. Mulberry do retail special limited editions which are normally more expensive - leather, colour etc and these have the feet and cloche etc.

Outlet specials can have feet and cloche too but often dont and arent "retail "standard- they use different leathers etc - normally a bit cheaper than full retail ones- so beware most of the specials on ebay are imo overpriced ex outlet bags- they can be lovely but just know what you are buying and watch the price accordingly!!

x posts with you, elvis! xx

outlet specials normally come with out padlock and feet. they normally come in the more unusual leathers and colours. which is quite a nice thing becuase you can get something really unusual!
how ever these bags are cheaper than retail normally £486 (i think they are now?)
becareful buying on ebay and a lot of sellers dont explain the bags and where they came from.

I am the proud owner of 5 Mulberry bags and three of them were special purchases from Shepton Mallet. My two ledburys were slightly cheaper and just stunning bags. My first ever Muberry, an antique glace Gisele (I think that's the name) was definitely a second and has mistakes in the design (I only realised this after comparing the same bag in a different colour from a friend, who also bought her's at SM!).

I love the factory shop specials and was told by an SA that they often make them if they have small amounts of leather that they want to use.