Questions on Celine Tote Bags: Phantom Cabas or Horizontal Cabas?

miumiu2046

O.G.
Nov 14, 2011
Newbie to Celine and needing some expert advice!

Currently looking online for a leather tote bag that will rest comfortably on my shoulder when I commute to work. I am eyeing the medium Phantom Cabas or the Horzontal Cabas. Will the straps on both bags be long enough to wear them on the shoulders? Is there any extra room on the strap to fit an arm wearing a thicker jacket when the weather gets colder? Please advise if you own the bags in question. Any help will be appreciated.

The Holt Renfrew (high end store in Canada) in my area no longer carry Celine so I can't go check it out myself. I think how soft the leather is affects how the bag is worn thru the arm too. It's very hard to judge with just the measurement of the strap.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

I own a Phantom Cabas and it sits very well on the shoulder with a jacket and without. Not so sure about the horizontal cabas. I also haven't worn my Phantom Cabas with a big puffy jacket yet, but I have worn it with a pretty thick dress coat and it sat very comfortably. I can't imagine it being a problem to wear it with a puffy jacket.

The leather is very soft and buttery. I wouldn't really advise wearing it when it gets super cold here though because I know in my area it can go down to -30 with the windchill and I think that would really dry out the super buttery leather.

I own a Phantom Cabas and it sits very well on the shoulder with a jacket and without. Not so sure about the horizontal cabas. I also haven't worn my Phantom Cabas with a big puffy jacket yet, but I have worn it with a pretty thick dress coat and it sat very comfortably. I can't imagine it being a problem to wear it with a puffy jacket.

The leather is very soft and buttery. I wouldn't really advise wearing it when it gets super cold here though because I know in my area it can go down to -30 with the windchill and I think that would really dry out the super buttery leather.

Thank you so much for your input. I am in Calgary AB. We get the -30c weather plus it's so dry here. Do you stop using your bag in the winter?

Thank you so much for your input. I am in Calgary AB. We get the -30c weather plus it's so dry here. Do you stop using your bag in the winter?

I don't use it as an every day bag (I use my longchamp le pliage instead as my workhorse bag because the material is far more forgiving and waterproof). I still take my cabas out during the winter but rarely, partly due to the colour (it's a Spring colour so not really winter appropriate). It's more of a delicate bag for me and I wouldn't use it as an everyday bag just because I find it expensive for an everyday bag and a little too delicate as well. I do love the bag though, it's a great bag for errands and days out shopping that are more casual.

If you're looking for a really sturdy everyday bag that is more affordable and good quality (hand made in Italy), you should check out the Petra line by Everlane. There's been a forum on here already discussing how the Cabas and Everlane bags compare. Just something to consider!

I carried my phantom cabas nearly every single day of this winter with no issues caused by cold. granted NYC isn't Canada but we had all those frigid polar vortex weeks and the leather is just fine.

I don't use it as an every day bag (I use my longchamp le pliage instead as my workhorse bag because the material is far more forgiving and waterproof). I still take my cabas out during the winter but rarely, partly due to the colour (it's a Spring colour so not really winter appropriate). It's more of a delicate bag for me and I wouldn't use it as an everyday bag just because I find it expensive for an everyday bag and a little too delicate as well. I do love the bag though, it's a great bag for errands and days out shopping that are more casual.

If you're looking for a really sturdy everyday bag that is more affordable and good quality (hand made in Italy), you should check out the Petra line by Everlane. There's been a forum on here already discussing how the Cabas and Everlane bags compare. Just something to consider!

Thanks again for your suggestion and everyone who joined in the conversation! Checked out the Everlane website and the Petra is a very nice bag! I like the business model of Everlane and is seriously considering a black Petra now for work. :smile: As for the Celine Cabas I still want one but will probably save that for the weekend!

Thanks again for your suggestion and everyone who joined in the conversation! Checked out the Everlane website and the Petra is a very nice bag! I like the business model of Everlane and is seriously considering a black Petra now for work. :smile: As for the Celine Cabas I still want one but will probably save that for the weekend!

Yes that's exactly what I do! I save my Cabas for the weekends and use other bags for the work week. My mom owns the black Petra "market" size and it's a great bag, super buttery leather and it's made in Italy and a great price. Also the price is pretty reasonable and the website includes duties on Canadian orders so no surprises when it comes over the border!