Questions: New to Chanel, considering the Boy

Breadnbrie

Jun 11, 2016
I'm starting to venture into the world of Chanel and could use some expert advice. ;)

I've never really been a flap person, but I do love the look of the Boy! However, I've never spent this much on a bag (my most expensive is in the 3k range) and want to be absolutely sure of this purchase, if I make it.

I'm specifically looking to get a black caviar Boy in the old medium, with preferably gunmetal or light gold hardware, but am open to silver and black as well. I like chevron and quilted equally.

When I look at the selection on the website, I only see the seasonal bags. Is the online selection all they have in stores currently? Do they usually have a black boy around at any point in time since it's a classic, with some minor variations in hardware? Is there a "classic" version of the boy that they usually have on hand for all seasons? I want to ideally make my purchase in early 2018, and have no idea how realistic this would be.

Just to clarify, they are still making the old medium size, correct?

I also have concerns about quality nowadays, especially since I have always strongly preferred buying new instead of preloved, for warranty/repair reasons. How does Chanel approach repair and maintenance?

I have also long considered the Diorama, which I already love and have no hesitations about. I'm sure I'm getting a bias on the Chanel forum, but would you say that the Boy's quality is unequivocally better than the Dior?

For those who have the Boy, how comfortable is it to carry for long periods of time? For example, for a day walking around downtown?

Lastly, can anyone recommend a SA in the South Coast Plaza location in SoCal?

Thanks so much!:flowers:

I have the old medium boy in black caviar with ruthenium hardware. I'm 5'6 and it's a little short crossbody on me so I usually only carry it long on my shoulder. However, I've seen it worn crossbody on the more petite ladies and it looks great.

The bag gets heavy since the chain itself is already a chunk of the weight. If I'm going out and going to be carrying it most of the time, I think it's a bit heavy so I usually grab a different bag.

I have a SA at South Coast. PM me if you're interested. I just bought another bag from her last week!

I went into the South Coast Plaza store a year ago intending to purchase a Boy bag. I had the old medium Boy and the new medium Boy black lambskin SHW and RHW and two black Jumbo Classic double flaps one caviar and one lambskin SHW. All four bags were beautiful but I ended up leaving with the Jumbo in caviar. My advice is go into the store and try them on. They may not have what you are looking for in stock but all you can do is try. Amy at Chanel SCP was amazing, really liked her (hopefully she is still there). Dior makes a beautiful bag for sure but I am not certain about the longevity of the Diorama. Good luck!

I have the old medium boy in black caviar with ruthenium hardware. I'm 5'6 and it's a little short crossbody on me so I usually only carry it long on my shoulder. However, I've seen it worn crossbody on the more petite ladies and it looks great.

The bag gets heavy since the chain itself is already a chunk of the weight. If I'm going out and going to be carrying it most of the time, I think it's a bit heavy so I usually grab a different bag.

I have a SA at South Coast. PM me if you're interested. I just bought another bag from her last week!

I went into the South Coast Plaza store a year ago intending to purchase a Boy bag. I had the old medium Boy and the new medium Boy black lambskin SHW and RHW and two black Jumbo Classic double flaps one caviar and one lambskin SHW. All four bags were beautiful but I ended up leaving with the Jumbo in caviar. My advice is go into the store and try them on. They may not have what you are looking for in stock but all you can do is try. Amy at Chanel SCP was amazing, really liked her (hopefully she is still there). Dior makes a beautiful bag for sure but I am not certain about the longevity of the Diorama. Good luck!

Thanks for both of your inputs! I will definitely be PMing for more info on your SA.

I am 5'1" so a short strap is definitely more welcome!

May I ask how long you have both had your Boys? I keep hearing about the sharp corners peeling off, and the flap creasing over time. Have you noticed any of this? Do you do anything special to prevent such things? I just fear spending that much and it not looking good 10+ years at least from now. Of course bags will get reasonable wear over the years, but I just want to make sure this isn't a huge issue.

Also, do either of you have experience with the Small Boy? Would it fit an iPhone 6 Plus, LV compact wallet, lip gloss, lipstick, and a tiny foldable brush? I am considering it too for a lighter weight bag.

Overall, I really need to go check these out in person. Thanks for your help!

I absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Boy bags. I purchased one that was my holy grail and I could not bring myself to use it. I found that the space inside (new medium) was not nearly enough for me and I usually carry very little... an LV card holder, my car/house keys, one lipstick, a compact and a mini make up bag. I also didn't think a 5500 bag should be cloth lined.

I concur that you'd need to try different bags on to see what you really love. I feel like every time I "know" what I want I end up buying something completely different. I was recently recommended to Jennifer at SCP and she was the best! I never got to meet her but she was very quick at text and set up my entire transaction for me to finish when I drove up from San Diego. :tup:

Reactions: PinkTulip
I absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Boy bags. I purchased one that was my holy grail and I could not bring myself to use it. I found that the space inside (new medium) was not nearly enough for me and I usually carry very little... an LV card holder, my car/house keys, one lipstick, a compact and a mini make up bag. I also didn't think a 5500 bag should be cloth lined.

I concur that you'd need to try different bags on to see what you really love. I feel like every time I "know" what I want I end up buying something completely different. I was recently recommended to Jennifer at SCP and she was the best! I never got to meet her but she was very quick at text and set up my entire transaction for me to finish when I drove up from San Diego. :tup:

Whoa, the NEW medium doesn't hold enough? Do you still have your Boy? Would you still buy it if you had to do it all over again? I am concerned about not actually using it if it really doesn't hold much or if it's heavy; I don't want a 5k bag to just sit in my closet!

I am also considering getting the Diorama and the Chanel WOC to satisfy my small party bag/ Chanel fix. I have some thinking to do.

Reactions: Luv2Shop1
Whoa, the NEW medium doesn't hold enough? Do you still have your Boy? Would you still buy it if you had to do it all over again? I am concerned about not actually using it if it really doesn't hold much or if it's heavy; I don't want a 5k bag to just sit in my closet!

I am also considering getting the Diorama and the Chanel WOC to satisfy my small party bag/Chanel fix. I have some thinking to do.

Shockingly it didn't! The bag it's self is large but after you open the flap it's surprisingly not very roomy. I returned the Boy because I had it one month but could never get comfortable enough to take it out... the one I bought was more elegant than casual IMO. I did not need a 6K closet ornament!

I think one day I'll own a Boy but right now "large" Chanel purchases are treats for me and not something I purchase regularly. I don't see myself buying a Boy unless rainbow hardware comes back or something out of this world haha. Everyone's different so I would try them on and put your regular items in the bag to see if it fits.

I'm not a big Dior fan so I can't give advice there but WOCs are wonderful classic pieces to have! I would even say to try and go for some of the seasonal bags because usually the piece point is a lot more friendly and they sometime rival larger size bags. You'd just have to research when your interested in buying since Chanel is constantly adding new pieces!

I have the so black boy in old medium, but I'm thinking of selling it for a diorama. I feel like the boy can get a little bit heavy when carrying it whole day, and I don't even carry that much (a mini o-case size pouch, a key holder, a Chanel card case, and a pack of tissue.)

Also I'm 5'1" as well, and the boy looks boxy on me.

Last edited:
I agree with everyone else. You need to go in store and try it on. I was obsessed with the boy but the small, old medium and new medium all didn't look good on me. For reference, I'm 5'3" and Aus size 8/US 4

I had zero interest in the classic flaps but turns out that the mini was perfect for me so I got that instead.

I love my OM boy but it was my 5th Chanel bag. So I got all my other loves out of the way first. I also got the all black version cos I thought it was special. I won't have bought for my first or a standard version but very happy with it. Don't fond it heavy (only carry wallet, keys and phone) happy with x body carry and even fine with it and baby (have a 7 month old).

I am thinking about getting a boy as well. I have some concerns with quality since I am not always gentle with bags. I am going to go to the Chanel store and also NM when I get time. That way, I can see how it looks compared to the classic flap and others.

Reactions: Breadnbrie
I highly recommend you go in stores and try out everything. My heart was set on getting a boy bag until I went to the store and saw the trendy cc and that became my first chanel bag. When I went on the website the trendy cc actually did not look appealing at all. I am 5' 4" and petite and out of all the Chanel's I have, I love the rectangular mini the best. Keep in mind that the boy bag was the only bag that captured my heart when I first went into chanel, the classic flap never attracted me. [emoji23][emoji23]

I forgot to mention I do love boy bags though. I love how Chanel comes out with different ones each season so it makes the bag you choose more "special." I have two old medium sizes and definitely wished I got one small and one OM instead. I carry very minimal things (lipstick card case keys) so either size works for me

Stick to caviar rather than lambskin if you are concerned about corners. I'm also a big fan of chevron so couldn't let it go when it's available in the store! In terms of Sizing, it's definitely enough for me as I usually carry minimal when going out, even then I think old Medium is a smart choice rather than small.

I have a caviar boy - I definitely prefer caviar over lambskin for the boy because the corners are more resilient.

I'm 5'6" and a US 4 - I find I can wear it as a crossbody just fine (perhaps because I have longer legs & a shorter torso, so I would recommend trying it on). Sizing wise I have the Old Medium & was nervous about it being too small, but it carries all I need (brush, wallet, o coin purse, iphone 6, lipgloss, liner, compact mirror, keys etc..) The only thing I can't fit is a camera or an umbrella which isn't a big deal. I also don't find the bag heavy at all for daily wear, the chain is comfortable & it's overall pretty light. I wore it on an all day trip where I was on my feet for 10+ hours & wasn't ever bothered - then again I also feel the same way about the Jumbo.