Questions for BE gals

duranie70

Handbag Addict
O.G.
Aug 25, 2006
I have wanted a BE handbag for quite some time but have still never seen one in real life.

First off, my favorite handbags are by Marc Jacobs- I have the cherry tart Ines patchwork and the large Multipocket in black w/ silver hardware. To me that multi pocket is perfection.

I have always liked the leathers of Hayden Harnett but never found a style. I recently bought a Linea Pelle large speedy but, wow, it is super large..I can never find anything. I really like soft lambskin bags.

I have a Rebecca Minkoff grey morning after mini that I like a lot but it is boxy, not something I grab everyday.

So I love black with siver hardware and soft.

What is the difference between black crash and black glossy?
Jackie wrote "
The black crash is a calf leather, it has a slightly wrinkled effect, but it isn't like the typical "distressed" leathers so it is a bit difficult to explain it. I would describe it as fairly thin, light and a bit glossy, but it isn't patent."

I LOVE the looks of Balenciaga bags but refuse to own anything made from goat leather, I love goats too much and if I did not live in NYC would want a pygmy goat..sooooo cute!
I like the look and veiny appearance of the bags.

I hate Tano bags. The look of the leather and feel is just is not my thing.

With all of this in mind... I wrote to Jackie and she thought I would like the Take Me Everywhere Midi. I also like the make Me Smile Midi.

Another thing I hate is when you open a bag and it looks like everything is about to fall out if the zippers open too wide. I've had people on the street tell me to watch the things in my bag when I open it (the Linea Pelle) . It looks like that might happen with the Make Me Smile. From the pics it looks like the top is wider than the bottom. Am I right?

Then when I look at the Take Me Everywhere the drawstring top concerns me. I had a Tess by Rebecca Minkoff and sold it immediately because the drawstring was IMPOSSIBLE to open, ridiculous. My husband could not even open it. Is the drawstring top more for decoration on this bag? How does it close?

Sorry for boring you all to bits, hopefully someone is bored at work and knows what I'm talking about and can answer me. LOL It is hard without seeing it in real life.

I thought the Hug Me was cute but I think it is too flat, also reminds me of Rebecca Minkoffs Dream Bag in a way. I want something very cool and original looking, not too big, not too small!

duranie, part of the issue is that none of us have touched and felt the new Fall'08 line-up. It's difficult to know what would be the perfect bag without having any experience, but I can offer my $.02 on some of the things I do know.

Re. the leather, based on what you like, I think the black glossy is more what you would prefer. While I would never equate the Tano leather (like the crunch leather) with the BE crunch leather, I think that the crunch leather is a harder leather (between the glossy and crunch leathers), and possibly not as supple as the glossy (I can only base my experience on my dark crash Indulge Me and my apple green glossy Love Me Mini).

While I have never before been a drawstring bag gal, I don't find the drawstring closure on my Love Me and Love Me mini to be an issue in terms of accessibility. In the Love Me, the bag is deep enough where if I don't cinch the drawstrings, items are still secure, but easy to reach. I know some gals have had issues with things falling out of the early version of the Love Me Mini (LMM), but Jackie has since redesigned the bags to include magnetic snap closures. Frankly, I don't stuff the LMM, so I don't really need the closures anyway, but it's nice to have, just in case. In any case, I don't think the drawstring closure will be an issue for keeping things in, but I can't speak to getting things out easily, because I haven't seen the (new) bags open.

The Midi sizes are great usable sizes for daily wear. I trust Jackie implicitly, as she has excellent taste. As long as you have been able to describe to her your wants/needs/dislikes, she has always been able to make good suggestions!

Haven't see it, but my impression from Jackie on the black glossy is that it has a pebbled texture with little bit of shine. Jackie says it feels amazing and she wishes it came in more colors! I ordered a Hug Me in it.

As for black crash, it is a gorgeous, finished leather. Kind of edgy, but elegantly so, if that makes any sense. I have a pewter crash LM and it is very soft and puddly now after about 9 months. I absolutely adore it!

hmm as audball mentioned, most of the new fall bags are new so no one here has any experience with the new styles.

The crash is very durable. I have one myself in the LM style. It is very tough and the coating is very glossy and has a textured surface. Over time, it does slouch and get a little softer. You can't expect the black crash to get too soft however, otherwise the whole purpose of it being crash is defeated. I've been using it pretty much constantly since I have college and it is still rather structured. Softer but not incredibly so. So go for crash if you are looking for low maintenance. The matte will be a gorgeous soft, velvety leather but of course requires more care. I think matte however is easier to care for then glazed since scratches are easier to buff out. Edit: I see you said glossy lol I'm betting even the glossy is durable. It just seems like more of a bumpy texture instead of the flatter random circlish texture of the crash. So it seems like a more consistent pattern if you are going for that and it looks like it might be a little more slouchy.

The drawstring on my LM isn't tight. I've seen the RM tess you are talking about and I highly doubt it'll be that tight. The RM leathers are tougher and tighter I'd say. BE is kind of more slippy so I doubt it'd be hard getting into and out of. That is actually one I might consider for myself. I don't think you'll have a problem with things piling out. Especially because of the height is taller then the LMM which has magnetic closures. I also wanted to add that the RM was thicker and the draw string I believe was centered in the middle and very thick. The BE is slippy on both sides and very easy to close or open.

I just ran across this thread, and it answers all my questions! I was wondering if my black crash bag will soften up some...it seems kinda stiff right now being new. But from what you say, it will get softer. Any product I can use on it to "help it along?" TIA !:flowers: P.S. the look of the crash leather is awesome

hmm as audball mentioned, most of the new fall bags are new so no one here has any experience with the new styles.

The crash is very durable. I have one myself in the LM style. It is very tough and the coating is very glossy and has a textured surface. Over time, it does slouch and get a little softer. You can't expect the black crash to get too soft however, otherwise the whole purpose of it being crash is defeated. I've been using it pretty much constantly since I have college and it is still rather structured. Softer but not incredibly so. So go for crash if you are looking for low maintenance. The matte will be a gorgeous soft, velvety leather but of course requires more care. I think matte however is easier to care for then glazed since scratches are easier to buff out. Edit: I see you said glossy lol I'm betting even the glossy is durable. It just seems like more of a bumpy texture instead of the flatter random circlish texture of the crash. So it seems like a more consistent pattern if you are going for that and it looks like it might be a little more slouchy.

The drawstring on my LM isn't tight. I've seen the RM tess you are talking about and I highly doubt it'll be that tight. The RM leathers are tougher and tighter I'd say. BE is kind of more slippy so I doubt it'd be hard getting into and out of. That is actually one I might consider for myself. I don't think you'll have a problem with things piling out. Especially because of the height is taller then the LMM which has magnetic closures. I also wanted to add that the RM was thicker and the draw string I believe was centered in the middle and very thick. The BE is slippy on both sides and very easy to close or open.

i don't think it really needs to be helped along...one week of normal wear will soften your bag immensely and it will continue to soften as time goes by