questions about YSL patent leather

YSL patent bags are among the most durable ones I've ever had. I have 4 YSL patents, and I've been killing my Majorele and y-mail wallet for 2 years, and they are still holding on. If you are looking for a durable bag you can wear at any weather, black patent it is. No maintanance required - just don't spill coffee on them too often (I assume eventially it would take its toll):graucho:

I would recommend to stay away from light colors - they get color spots easily, which ruines them completely.

thanks for replying to this thread!

it is great to hear that patent leather holds up well. i wonder if that is true with the metallic colors (gold, silver, steel) as well? i am interested particularly in the YSL Belle de Jour clutches.

This bag I ordered is awful, I doubt it's auth. my fault, glad I didn't pay over 500 for it. but still. The seller said ~~ something along the lines of cleaning her closet and selling bags "most of my handbags have hardly been used" then she went on to describe the general features of the bag and no description of it's condition- which implies it's in hardly used condition.

There is a pink-ish hue on the bag, seems like it rubbed on clothes- not a big deal, the gold hardware seems to be rubbing off in some areas and finally

The handles are total crap, I just bought a brand new black car with black interior- which is how I noticed that the handles are basically falling apart. White chips EVERYWHERE even on my face lol

Is it common for the patent handles to chip?

I've compared this bag to the authenticate this thread and the serial numbers, and everything else seem right. Except there's no embossed yves saint laurent on the front under the lock- not sure if that means it's an older model or a fake, I'll post pictures. Anyway back to my question, is this common?

^I've owned at least five YSL patent leather bags and the quality is outstanding. The patent wears like iron and shows almost no wear whatsoever. If you want to discuss patent further you can do that here. Please limit authenticity discussion to the Authenticate This thread. We also have an eBay forum where you can learn about your options as a buyer if your bag is fake.

I understand thank you.

So no one else has heard of the handles chipping? If this bag is real it's clear to me that it was not taken care of at all. The seller is really hostile and hard to contact but I asked her for a partial refund and she sent me 100 dollars then I was with my mom and she said she doubted it's authenticity. So I don't know if I can do anything about it now that she's given me 100 dollars.

The strange thing is that the seller has an account on Ebay where she sells extremely high end luxury watches so that's why I originally trusted her. And the way the bag was sent. I don't know, maybe it has to do with how it was sent? In a box with that plastic packing popcorn- anyway that could have dried and damage the handles- I don't think so :/

Will be taking pictures tomorrow

^Sorry about your situation. No, I've never heard of YSL patent leather "chipping." Its VERY soft and flexible. The only reasonable explanation I can think of, if the bag is real, is that perhaps the original owner treated it with some alcohol-based product or something that reacted badly with the patent??? More likely I think its probably fake. You said that even the seller herself admitted that she doubted the authenticity. I'd suggest posting pics in the Authenticate This thread.

LOL, when the threads all get merged together it becomes clear that I can't resist putting in my two cents when anyone asks about YSL patent (and here I am again)!

The one thing I wanted to point out is that the quilted croc patent is different from the croc embossed patent. The quilted croc patent is a version of the textured calfskin patent which is stitched into a croc pattern. The embossed croc is smooth, glossy lambskin patent with a croc pattern embossed onto it.

Here's a quilted croc patent Downtown (pics are from the Reference Library)...

And here's a croc embossed patent Downtown...

I find both to be weather/stain/spill resistant, but because the croc embossed patent is smooth and made from lambskin, it is more delicate and prone to fingerprints and scratches. I just wanted to point out the difference since it seemed like the two versions were being confused with each other at times.

oh, thank you so much for making this clear. I ordered catwalk in croc quilted and was having second thoughts if I should have ordered a crod embossed. But, I just do not like glossy patent (the look of it and and fingerprints left, I am a bit obsessive, so all I would be doing would be cleaning fingerprints, and I do wear a lot of handcream - dry weather and chalk :biggrin:)

I am waiting for my catwalk and in the meantime thinking what kind of patent it might be (I have not seen one IRL)

your explanation calmed me down that my choice was the one I wanted, thanks shazam :yahoo:

and thanks papertiger for the note about plastic !!!!

I just took my white patent muse out of the closet today after months of non-use and to my total surprise, the color around the stitching changed to a pinkish color. I am thinking that the thread they must have used to sew the details on the side might have bled into the white patent. So now the "Y" going down the front of my Muse bag is slightly tinged pink. Not very good...a very obvious discoloration on the bag.

My white leather downtown has a pinkish tinge in one area around stitching, too. Weird!

I have a patent easy in black and it's held up really well - I use it in bad weather and it's in great shape.

^Sorry about your situation. No, I've never heard of YSL patent leather "chipping." Its VERY soft and flexible. The only reasonable explanation I can think of, if the bag is real, is that perhaps the original owner treated it with some alcohol-based product or something that reacted badly with the patent??? More likely I think its probably fake. You said that even the seller herself admitted that she doubted the authenticity. I'd suggest posting pics in the Authenticate This thread.

No way I would ever buy from someone who doubted it's authenticity. she said it was real and was very defensive when I asked her for a guarantee, guess I know why now!

YSL patent bags are among the most durable ones I've ever had. I have 4 YSL patents, and I've been killing my Majorele and y-mail wallet for 2 years, and they are still holding on. If you are looking for a durable bag you can wear at any weather, black patent it is. No maintanance required - just don't spill coffee on them too often (I assume eventially it would take its toll):graucho:

I would recommend to stay away from light colors - they get color spots easily, which ruines them completely.

Hello, I was just about to ask if light coloured patent YSLs get colour transfer! I don't know if that's the same thing as colour spots so I'd appreciate if someone can fill me in on this!!

TIA!

I've just gotten a black patent Y-Mail clutch, and am really excited as it's my first designer item! In saying this, I want to make sure I take really good care of it as it is a gift and so beautiful as well! Does this have to be treated with anything at all, eg. waterproof spray? I usually spray my other leather handbags, but I'm not too sure about patent leather