questions about YSL patent leather

Can owners of the patent Easy chime in on how the leather wears over time? Specifically, it seems kind of stiff -- I've been contemplating it for the last few months, and have seen it quite a few times, but even without the stuffing, the bag seems really stiff, and I would love it if it would break in over time.

Thanks!

i've had mine for a few months now, I don't use it that regularly, but it definitely comes out when it's raining (that or my patent tribute) so I don't get my bright colored bals messed up. so far it is holding up great.

SuLi, to me mine doesnt seem very stiff, I store it in the dustbag, unstuffed and the corners flop inward. Patent as far as I know doesn't break in much compared to other leathers, but the center does hang slightly if I carry heavy stuff in it. hope this helps!

May I ask why, what happens? TIA!

Patent is plastic coated leather. Leather needs to breath (shouldn't really store any leather in plastic).

Depending on the temperature patent leather will:

will go 'mildew' (ie whiten and mattify) if stored in plastic.

stick to the plastic and peel off the leather.

go 'soft' and take on an imprint or be scratched by whatever touches it

Hope that explains it XXX

Alrighty, I've been searching high and low for this and today I got it. SO HAPPY!

However, I bought it because I liked the style and I read that it was patent leather so I was gonna use it for rainy days.

But honestly, it feels waaay to soft to be patent.

What do you think? Will it still be a safe bet on rainy/snowy days?

And should I treat it with something?

Thanks alot!!

To my horror, a waitress spilled milk on my croc embossed patent tribute a few months ago, but we wiped it off immediately with a wet towel and then dried it off. I'm very impressed with the durability of the patent leather -- now you can hardly tell anything happened to it. The only thing I can say is that the patent looks just a teensy bit more wrinkled on the side that was spilled on -- basically only noticeable to me because i inspect every inch of my bags hehe

I have a black embossed patent tote (can't remember the name of it) that I've had for just under 2 years and found that I was using it all of the time due to the rain we've had. I had used it more than any other bag I've ever had which is a big thing for me!! So, I purchased the patent Easy a couple of weeks ago and absolutely love it and the fact that I can wear it regardless of the weather. Oh, and it is not a stiff bag, at all!

Last edited:
LOL, when the threads all get merged together it becomes clear that I can't resist putting in my two cents when anyone asks about YSL patent (and here I am again)!

The one thing I wanted to point out is that the quilted croc patent is different from the croc embossed patent. The quilted croc patent is a version of the textured calfskin patent which is stitched into a croc pattern. The embossed croc is smooth, glossy lambskin patent with a croc pattern embossed onto it.

Here's a quilted croc patent Downtown (pics are from the Reference Library)...

attachment.php

And here's a croc embossed patent Downtown...

attachment.php

I find both to be weather/stain/spill resistant, but because the croc embossed patent is smooth and made from lambskin, it is more delicate and prone to fingerprints and scratches. I just wanted to point out the difference since it seemed like the two versions were being confused with each other at times.

Last edited:
I have a black patent downtown. With young children around me, the bag holds very very good, no scratch and no stain for using it everyday for 1 month. And the patent leather is so soft and very comfortable to wear. I have a patent riki from Jimmy Choo, patent histoire from valentino. I think YSL patent is the best. I am very very very pleased and happy with the quality of this bag.

Patent is plastic coated leather. Leather needs to breath (shouldn't really store any leather in plastic).

Depending on the temperature patent leather will:

will go 'mildew' (ie whiten and mattify) if stored in plastic.

stick to the plastic and peel off the leather.

go 'soft' and take on an imprint or be scratched by whatever touches it

Hope that explains it XXX

Thanks for this. so dustbag is really the safest bet for our patent babies

This is so great to hear all the positive feedback on the patent leather, especially after buying the black leather patent Easy bag the other day. I actually bought it to use it for the fall weather (only rain). Thanks everyone for the great replies!:hugs: