Questions about small animals and flying/airlines

I have flown with my Maltese once. She hated it and we won't be doing it again. I would check with the individual airlines to see which ones allow pets in cabin and what their requirements are. NEVER LET YOUR PET FLY CARGO!

Unless something has changed, they make you leave your pet in the carrier under the seat in front of you throughout the whole flight. However a friend told me her friend is a flight attendant (I think for Delta???) and that when people say they are afraid of flying and need to hold their dog for emotional support they will let them put it in their lap.

I gave my dog meds, and they didn't calm her at all. And because I had to change flights she was in her carrier for about 6 hours and ended up peeing in there.

Does anyone know the dimensions of underneath the seat ?? I'm wondering if my 15 lb pug will fit underneath?? Jetblue told me the dog has to weigh EXACTLY 20 lbs including the carrier. I have no idea what that means.

I have only flown with my dogs in a sherpa bag under my seat using NW and Continental.

The Continental people were difficult I had to prepay the dogs $100 or was it $120. With NW you pay at the counter.

You need health cert - I have flown a few times with in USA and overseas - no one has actually asked to look at my health cert in the USA. But in japan they wanted a copy of rabies vaccine - japan was only a stopover for a connecting flight I was there all of 3 hours.

NW Flight Attendants were MUCH MUCH nicer to my dogs ALWAYS! Continental FA's were not as nice or maybe it was just that 1 really mean fat lady FA, HMMP!

And I was always in First Class / Business Class - I am not sure how you can carry a dog in you fly coach especially on long haul flights.

I always bring a wee wee pad, I take dog to bathroom. I sit on the loo put pee pad on floor and wiat for my dog to pee.

I have only taken show dogs and most my show dogs will do #2 on command and when I say pee pee will usually pee.

I always take some food and I always have a water bottle - empty I ask flight attendant for some water when I get on plane.

SOME REALLY NICE FA's will allow you to take the dog out and put it on your lap. Some not so nice ones will get mad if you just open the zip and fan your dog if it's hot.

I have flown with my Maltese once. She hated it and we won't be doing it again. I would check with the individual airlines to see which ones allow pets in cabin and what their requirements are. NEVER LET YOUR PET FLY CARGO!

Unless something has changed, they make you leave your pet in the carrier under the seat in front of you throughout the whole flight. However a friend told me her friend is a flight attendant (I think for Delta???) and that when people say they are afraid of flying and need to hold their dog for emotional support they will let them put it in their lap.

I gave my dog meds, and they didn't calm her at all. And because I had to change flights she was in her carrier for about 6 hours and ended up peeing in there.

hehehhe I actually flew with a shih tzu on my lap from MN to Japan and Japan to manila.

The dog freake dout on flight would not stop barking unless he was held, so Flight purser said MAM you may put the dog on your lap or in seat next to you (I guess it was to shut dog up, hahaha)

Does anyone know the dimensions of underneath the seat ?? I'm wondering if my 15 lb pug will fit underneath?? Jetblue told me the dog has to weigh EXACTLY 20 lbs including the carrier. I have no idea what that means.

I have never actually had anyone weigh the dog and carrier when I have flown with my dogs and I have flown a lot with dogs under my seat. have only used NW and Continental though.

I have only flown with my dogs in a sherpa bag under my seat using NW and Continental.

The Continental people were difficult I had to prepay the dogs $100 or was it $120. With NW you pay at the counter.

You need health cert - I have flown a few times with in USA and overseas - no one has actually asked to look at my health cert in the USA. But in japan they wanted a copy of rabies vaccine - japan was only a stopover for a connecting flight I was there all of 3 hours.

NW Flight Attendants were MUCH MUCH nicer to my dogs ALWAYS! Continental FA's were not as nice or maybe it was just that 1 really mean fat lady FA, HMMP!

And I was always in First Class / Business Class - I am not sure how you can carry a dog in you fly coach especially on long haul flights.

I always bring a wee wee pad, I take dog to bathroom. I sit on the loo put pee pad on floor and wiat for my dog to pee.

I have only taken show dogs and most my show dogs will do #2 on command and when I say pee pee will usually pee.

I always take some food and I always have a water bottle - empty I ask flight attendant for some water when I get on plane.

SOME REALLY NICE FA's will allow you to take the dog out and put it on your lap. Some not so nice ones will get mad if you just open the zip and fan your dog if it's hot.

Thank you. This is useful for me.. but let's keep fingers crossed that I can find someone to babysit my dog. I hate the idea of putting her through a 5 hour flight.

this might be a weird question... but do you send the dog+carrier through the x-ray machine at security??

i was just thinking how weird that might be for the dog.

i flew jetblue with my 10lb pomeranian. they did weigh her in the carrier going one way, but not the other. they have u put the dog in the carrier and weigh it just the same as you would weigh any other luggage. and as for him fitting underneath it depend on his shape. my pom couldnt stand up for sure, but she just layed there silently but they do make you keep it all the way under at all times. double check the demsions for the under the seat carry-on, it should help you gauge a bit. HTH ;)

I know this is an old thread, but just wondering if anyone's had experiences with Souhtwest and pets yet?? I have a 18-20 lb pug, but hes really tiny for his weight (hes just very dense) and I'm considering taking him on a short 1 hour flight with me.

have any pug/frenchie owners taken their cuties on a plane yet??

I know this is an old thread, but just wondering if anyone's had experiences with Souhtwest and pets yet?? I have a 18-20 lb pug, but hes really tiny for his weight (hes just very dense) and I'm considering taking him on a short 1 hour flight with me.

have any pug/frenchie owners taken their cuties on a plane yet??

When I flew across the country to pick up my Frenchie from the breeder, she flew back in the cabin with me. She was only about 8 lbs. at that time. I had her in a carrier with some blankets inside. I really wanted to take her out, but it wasn't allowed. All the flight attendants came over to peek into the carrier, though! Considering it was a 3 hour flight, she did really well. I think a short 1 hour flight will be fine, just keep him in the cabin with you, not cargo. Oh, I think it was American Airlines that I flew.

When I flew across the country to pick up my Frenchie from the breeder, she flew back in the cabin with me. She was only about 8 lbs. at that time. I had her in a carrier with some blankets inside. I really wanted to take her out, but it wasn't allowed. All the flight attendants came over to peek into the carrier, though! Considering it was a 3 hour flight, she did really well. I think a short 1 hour flight will be fine, just keep him in the cabin with you, not cargo. Oh, I think it was American Airlines that I flew.

Thank you for getting back to me! Im glad to hear that she did well! This gives me hope, as I'd rather not drive 8 hours web I cantake a 1 Hr plane flight

^^I've flown with my little guy. He's around the size of your pug 17-18 lbs but small in stature. He's been fine everytime, he did throw up once but it was a turbulent flight, poor guy. I usually just unzip the top part for a little extra air and get ice from the FAs for him to lick.

Most of the time, people next to me didn't even realize I had a dog as he was so quiet under the seat. I'm guessing some of those people thought I was a little crazy "talking" to my bag then!

^^I've flown with my little guy. He's around the size of your pug 17-18 lbs but small in stature. He's been fine everytime, he did throw up once but it was a turbulent flight, poor guy. I usually just unzip the top part for a little extra air and get ice from the FAs for him to lick.

Most of the time, people next to me didn't even realize I had a dog as he was so quiet under the seat. I'm guessing some of those people thought I was a little crazy "talking" to my bag then!

yayI was waiting for someone from the pug thread to comment on this!

That puts me at such ease of mind now...especailly since the alternative to flying was driving 8-10 hours by myself :sad:

What type of carrier did you get for him? I've been looking into the Sherpa Large carrier, as its still able to smush down but be big enough for winston. And which airlines did you fly? I'm doing southwest...

at LOL about you talking to your bag!!! I will probably do the same thing! haha.

Thanks again for your input! :smile: