Questions about small animals and flying/airlines

I know this is an old thread, but just wondering if anyone's had experiences with Souhtwest and pets yet?? I have a 18-20 lb pug, but hes really tiny for his weight (hes just very dense) and I'm considering taking him on a short 1 hour flight with me.

have any pug/frenchie owners taken their cuties on a plane yet??

Over the holidays, I flew with my two cats on Southwest (the flight was about an hour). SW charged a $75 fee each way (which wasn't explained to me when I called their CS to reserve the spot for my pets) and they didn't need a health certificate. It was a bit pricier than the other airlines that I have flown with before, but they also were less restrictive with their pet policy. So that could be part of it.
It actually cost more to fly my cats than it did to fly me.
The only thing that was kind of a pain was going through security, but I would think it would be a lot easier with a dog.

ETA: I posted a pic of the carrier I used earlier in the thread. That was fine with SW.

Over the holidays, I flew with my two cats on Southwest (the flight was about an hour). SW charged a $75 fee each way (which wasn't explained to me when I called their CS to reserve the spot for my pets) and they didn't need a health certificate. It was a bit pricier than the other airlines that I have flown with before, but they also were less restrictive with their pet policy. So that could be part of it.
The only thing that was kind of a pain was going through security, but I would think it would be a lot easier with a dog.

ETA: I posted a pic of the carrier I used earlier in the thread. That was fine with SW.

Its great to know that SW is less restrictive. I've heard some airplanes are sch sticklers when it comes to dogs.

I was considering that kind of a carrier but I feel my dog would need the extra support from the other one (normal vs ultimate Sherpa carrier).

^^Sherpa makes great carriers-they were one of the first ones to make airline approved carriers. You can be confident in that choice!

We've only flown with USair as that's the only airline (besides like 1-2 delta flights) that flies out of our small local airport

Its great to know that SW is less restrictive. I've heard some airplanes are sch sticklers when it comes to dogs.

I was considering that kind of a carrier but I feel my dog would need the extra support from the other one (normal vs ultimate Sherpa carrier).

It might have been because it was the holidays, but they never weighed the bag or anything like that. They just took my money and gave me a tag for their carrier.
i think it was US Air that over the phone told me both times that I called that I could have both pets in the same carrier. but when I got to the counter, they said I couldn't. I argued (and even cried). I was moving and had no way to transport my pets. Finally, they just allowed me to have both cats in the same carrier but I think it was because they had a hysterical cryer on their hands.

I am getting ready to fly with both of my cats. One cat is 13 lbs and the other 17 lbs. It's comforting to know that the Sherpa carriers are approved. I was trying to find a carrier that was exactly the size of the allowed dimensions on US AIR (16x17x8) and it's impossible! I didn't realize that the listed measurements are really for hard cases, I just learned that on another site.

So let me ask you, do you have to take the cats out of the carriers at security? I am dreading this part. My cats are the type of cats that FREAK out just driving in the car to the vet 10 mins away. I have no idea how they are going to react to the stress of flying. I am really worried that one of my cats could go into cardiac arrest if she's too stressed out but I have no other choice then to fly them.

I'm freaking out myself. Any tips would be great. :sweatdrop:

^^Sherpa makes great carriers-they were one of the first ones to make airline approved carriers. You can be confident in that choice!

We've only flown with USair as that's the only airline (besides like 1-2 delta flights) that flies out of our small local airport

Did you use the large sherpa carrier on us airways?

I'm thinking of getting this one with the wheels. Hopefully it's as flexible as the others..

http://www.amazon.com/Sherpa-%2dWhe...ISI6/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1303216586&sr=8-6

I am getting ready to fly with both of my cats. One cat is 13 lbs and the other 17 lbs. It's comforting to know that the Sherpa carriers are approved. I was trying to find a carrier that was exactly the size of the allowed dimensions on US AIR (16x17x8) and it's impossible! I didn't realize that the listed measurements are really for hard cases, I just learned that on another site.

So let me ask you, do you have to take the cats out of the carriers at security? I am dreading this part. My cats are the type of cats that FREAK out just driving in the car to the vet 10 mins away. I have no idea how they are going to react to the stress of flying. I am really worried that one of my cats could go into cardiac arrest if she's too stressed out but I have no other choice then to fly them.

I'm freaking out myself. Any tips would be great. :sweatdrop:

You do have to take them out to go through security. You do not send them through the Xray machine in their carrier. Because I have always travelled by myself with my two cats, I have sedated them. One of my cats really hates being in the carrier, so it's really to help chill her out too. I would talk to your vet and see what your options are.

^ My cats are like your cat. When the carrier comes out they run and hide. They fight even going in the carriers and they scream the whole way to the vet. Hairballs flying.. etc. Then whenever they get home they are so stressed out they fight with each other when they are normally best friends otherwise. It's so bizarre.

I'm really worried that they will not be able to handle the stress of flying. One of my cats has an enlarged heart and I am worried too much stress might be a problem for her so I am going to look into sedation. I think it will be best.

^ My cats are like your cat. When the carrier comes out they run and hide. They fight even going in the carriers and they scream the whole way to the vet. Hairballs flying.. etc. Then whenever they get home they are so stressed out they fight with each other when they are normally best friends otherwise. It's so bizarre.

I'm really worried that they will not be able to handle the stress of flying. One of my cats has an enlarged heart and I am worried too much stress might be a problem for her so I am going to look into sedation. I think it will be best.

Mine do the exact same thing and they're normally best friends too. They're a lot easier to manage before, during, and after flying when they have been sedated. I will say that sometimes my normally sweet little girl is just a raving ***** after a flight (even if she has been sedated). I guess sometimes she has a bad 'trip'. So I usually just put her in a room on her own for an hour or and that seems to help a lot.
I have noticed that the actual flight does not seem to stress my cats out. It's more of the security, going through the airport part that does it. I guess I can't blame them. It's overwhelming.