Questions about Orange TKO!! How to UNDARKEN/CLEAN your Handles!

Thanks Chriseve!!! I used what you did because it made sense to me to use a product designed to remove oils from delicate material. I bought the Guardsman Citrus Dry Cleaning Fluid for 1 cent on Amazon! The product is a fast drying fluid and smells like citrus. I rubbed consistently, always moving, as to not rub off color. I went over the handles multiple times (2 times on one and 3 times on the other that was more oily). I rubbed firmly, but not too hard. I also tested a little spot each time I started on the handles again to make sure I wasn't destroying the leather. I used a cheap white t-shirt. I'm very pleased with the results. The handles feel and look great! Below are the pics for anyone interested.

1. Before
2. Immediately after 2 rub-downs
3. Immediately after 3rd rub-down
4. An hour after completion
5. Dirty t-shirt

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 499
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 492
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 489
  • photo 5.jpg
    photo 5.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 488
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 491
Thanks Chriseve!!! I used what you did because it made sense to me to use a product designed to remove oils from delicate material. I bought the Guardsman Citrus Dry Cleaning Fluid for 1 cent on Amazon! The product is a fast drying fluid and smells like citrus. I rubbed consistently, always moving, as to not rub off color. I went over the handles multiple times (2 times on one and 3 times on the other that was more oily). I rubbed firmly, but not too hard. I also tested a little spot each time I started on the handles again to make sure I wasn't destroying the leather. I used a cheap white t-shirt. I'm very pleased with the results. The handles feel and look great! Below are the pics for anyone interested.

1. Before
5. Dirty t-shirt
That looks great! Can you please tell me how much did you apply and did you dilute it at all? Did you apply the solution to the shirt and then rub it on? Thank you.

That looks great! Can you please tell me how much did you apply and did you dilute it at all? Did you apply the solution to the shirt and then rub it on? Thank you.
I didn't dilute it at all. I put a small amount on the t-shirt (about the size of a dime) and then rubbed that area of the t-shirt on the handles. Repeat as necessary. I did this over and over, trying not to use too much. The solution is the kind that dries fairly quickly so it's best to use small amount multiple times. Also, the bottle has a very small pouring hole.

I didn't dilute it at all. I put a small amount on the t-shirt (about the size of a dime) and then rubbed that area of the t-shirt on the handles. Repeat as necessary. I did this over and over, trying not to use too much. The solution is the kind that dries fairly quickly so it's best to use small amount multiple times. Also, the bottle has a very small pouring hole.
Thank you! So you don't need to rinse it off or anything?

1. Before

5. Dirty t-shirt

I wanted to give an update on my experience with this cleaning method. After about 3 months the handles returned to the original state as pictured in photo 1 quoted above. The handles didn't worsen, but this method only temporarily worked. I imagine I could re-clean them again using this method, but I think I'll let it be since this is not my favorite Bbag. I will probably send my beloved bags to LMB for a professional cleanup in the future.

Last edited:
Thank you to the brave girls before me -- I followed MarieG's instructions on a preowned cassis I bought -- with horrendously dark handles.

Uploading photos of before and after (right after the wash)

I've been considering selling it because of how dark it was. I used Perwoll instead of Woolite (cause that's what I had at home). Then applied Apple Leather Care Conditioner after. Fingers crossed they'll look better when they're dry.

Attachments

• IMG_3545.PNG
    IMG_3545.PNG
    733.4 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_3540.jpg
    IMG_3540.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_3542.JPG
    IMG_3542.JPG
    138.3 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_3543.JPG
    IMG_3543.JPG