Questions about Mulberry duriability.

I have a 10 month old Silky Snake Small Bayswater Satchel and I have to say…it has worn down quite badly.
The Silky Snake is a really thick, quite rigid leather but the scales on the snake print mean it ‘peels’ pretty badly and the piping has worn down and gone grey on the tan leather despite me babying it to death. I Collonil it and never put it on rough or dirty surfaces, it’s just the daily actions of picking it up and wearing it as a satchel on my shoulder that seems to have done it.
It was my first Mulberry purchase and I still love it to pieces, and think it still looks great, but I have to say I don’t think this particular bag is made to be used day in, day out.
Incidentally I have a friend with a 5 year old, worn-every-day Roxie that looks brilliant. Completely battered but the thick leather has just aged beautifully and withstood the daily usage.
Would it last 25 years though? I doubt it.[/QUOTE]

Are there many bags that are supposed to last 25 years if they're worn every day? Seems a little optimistic? :wondering

poster here only needs attention. eyeroll

From what I heard they look cheap but last

couldnt agree more! :tup:

Ha, I think anyone who suggests Mulberry bags look cheap obviously doesn't have any experience of them!

In terms of the older styles, they don't look at all cheap and last for ages! In terms of the newer styles, again there's nothing cheap about them at all but they are arguably not made as well as the older styles. I'd say the leather is still just as good but with some bags, the craftsmanship isn't quite as it used to be. For example, many have reported problems with the Alexa - I have one but no issues so far - but there are certainly more reported problems with the later styles.

As an owner of two Balenciaga bags, one Marc By Marc Jacobs and an Alexa, I'd say I am more careful with my Alexa than any of the others. Considering the Balenciaga bags are by far the most expensive, I never feel wary of them when carrying them, even in the pouring rain. On that basis, I'd say Mulberry bags are pretty durable - depending on the leather - but shouldn't be thrown around carelessly or exposed to rain on a regular basis. Some owners treat their bags to protect them from rain. I personally don't.

Note that I am not including the delicate Mulberry bags in my description, ie. the sparkle tweeds, which are VERY high maintenance and require a lot of care!

I realise no bag would withstand 25 years of daily use! :smile: I guess my point is that Mulberry markets itself as a heritage brand – you know, the kind of product you can hand down to your daughter, their bags become old faithfuls, that kind of thing. I guess it’s a very English idea of products that you can love and look after that just get better with age. Having said that, I suppose I’m thinking of their traditional leather and products. Many of their newer finishes – the sparkle tweed, the silky snake – perhaps are intended for a different customer that will only take their bags out very occasionally.

Sorry to hi-jack this thread a bit, but I also have a question about durability. My husband surprised me with a green Grass Green Bayswater bag last night for our anniversary. Its the most beautiful thing I have ever seen, but I'm a person who likes to use the same handbag most every day and, due to the soft almost delicate feel of the leater, I am concerned about if this bag is really designed/intended for every day heavy use. On the tube, on a bus, being thrown in the car, going to to the pub - could she handle it without looking tatty after a few months? I love the colour (I always carry bright bags), but how will green leather age? What about rain? Would she be ruined the first time I am caught in a surprise shower?

Maybe it would be better to go "down" a notch to a Marc by Marc Jacobs bag or something that isnt quite so dear?

I really appreciate any input on this.

Last edited:
From what I heard they look cheap but last

Oh dear not the cleverest of comments but you have ur opinion. :bagslap:

In my opinion Mulberry is a classy brand.
The best of British.
It is def not a cheap looking brand.
Its high quality well made to last forever.(as long as possible)
Buy one and see what ur missing out on.
Ive never looked back after Mulberry and havent bought any other brand at all.

Sorry to hi-jack this thread a bit, but I also have a question about durability. My husband surprised me with a green Grass Green Bayswater bag last night for our anniversary. Its the most beautiful thing I have ever seen, but I'm a person who likes to use the same handbag most every day and, due to the soft almost delicate feel of the leater, I am concerned about if this bag is really designed/intended for every day heavy use. On the tube, on a bus, being thrown in the car, going to to the pub - could she handle it without looking tatty after a few months? I love the colour (I always carry bright bags), but how will green leather age? What about rain? Would she be ruined the first time I am caught in a surprise shower?

Maybe it would be better to go "down" a notch to a Marc by Marc Jacobs bag or something that isnt quite so dear?

What type of leather is your Bayswater? I know that NVT and Printed Leather can take daily abuse very well. Mine is black printed leather and it's pretty much bomb proof. Don't forget to spray yours with Collonil Waterstop to protect it from rain. I think yours will take daily commute just fine.

I'm anal with all my bags, I don't baby them but I do take care of them. I won't put them on the floor, always on my lap or on the chair and once in a while I put nourishing cream on the corners if I see the corner bits look scuffed. Congrats on your new Bays by the way.

The leather makes a big difference. Any of the classic colours would be great in NVT or printed. Oak can be a little fussy due to watermarks. However my eggplant and electric blue Bays are seeming very resilient too! If you don't rotate your bags I would say get black or choc.

Has any on found the rose gold hardware to wear badly? I have an OS Alexa in petticoat white that is only a year old and the lock has significant wear already. I don't use it every day but it has had good use. I have just bought two more bags with rose good hardware (Tillie tote and Sakeskin and Suede OS Alexa).

This isn't something i'd really considered about the rose gold hardware. I love the heritage nightshade bays and petticoat alexa (gorgeous bag!) but this is making me wonder whether this would be a good bag for me to get. Does anyone know if all the shiny finish hardware suffers this wear?
I know you can get the brass hardware replaced by mulberry for about 50 pounds which i thought was suprisingly decent. Maybe you could look into the same for the rose gold lock?

Inem said:
Define 'look cheap'. Because I'm looking at Bays and all the other Mulberry bags and comparing it with high street leather bags and I can't see anything cheap looking with Mulberry bags.

Bayswater is definitely not 'look cheap'. Bays defined luxury!

Mulbqueen, the turnlock on my Conker alexa is badly tarnished. It's 6 months old but the tarnishing happened when it was still very new. I am taking it into M and they can replace it for me as it's under warranty. The turnlock on my oak bays hasn't tarnished at all and I've had it over a year.

I can believe it. My Darwin Roxy that I recently bought pre-loved is already 7 years old and still (structurally) as good as new. The only thing that stops her looking new is her Patina - but I love the way the leather ages!

Totally with you there, GreyFeather - there's nothing like the older Darwin Roxy's when it comes to leather quality/hardware/tough construction - I think if you look after them, treat regularly with Collonil, but use and love them you won't go far wrong - hence I am a lover of the older Vintage - best quality and superior finishing....:smile:...and the beautiful burnished patina they acquire is surely a bonus!....

I realise no bag would withstand 25 years of daily use! :smile: I guess my point is that Mulberry markets itself as a heritage brand – you know, the kind of product you can hand down to your daughter, their bags become old faithfuls, that kind of thing. I guess it’s a very English idea of products that you can love and look after that just get better with age. Having said that, I suppose I’m thinking of their traditional leather and products. Many of their newer finishes – the sparkle tweed, the silky snake – perhaps are intended for a different customer that will only take their bags out very occasionally.

Definitely right I would say - the newer, lighterweight skins/tweeds etc. are surely intended for more occasional use......

Depends on your usage and the leather of the bag - my a4 roxy tote is dying after 3 years of constant use,darwin annie is looking as good as new after 4 years (not used much)..I think the think to remember is, nothing lasts forever however expensive the bag,some are just making a statement,does not mean that they will last longer..