Questions about first purchase!

LucyBeall

Feb 28, 2012
Hello everyone!
I'm going to buy my first bag in a month or so, and I just have a few questions:
Are the Lambskin minis particularly hard to find?
Would it be easier to locate one of the classics somewhere else? I live in Texas, and there are several boutiques at Saks and Neimans, but they are usually out of the classics.
And, just how easily does Lambskin scratch? I'm fairly young, but I will be using it gently :biggrin: I tend to baby my bags, haha.

One last thing, how do you deal with snooty SA's? I was at my mall's Neiman Marcus, and when I went in to look for the bag, the sales associate was giving me a lot of attitude and asked if It was for my "Mommy." Oh goodness, I got so mad, but before I left I was sure to tell him which purse *I* wanted.

Thanks in advance! :smile:

i cannot tell you about Chanel-mini-situation in the U.S. because I am from Germany but there are some rude SAs over here as well ;) it is really unbelievable how high some of them hold their noses.... even if they owned chanel, it is just absolutely not acceptable to treat potential customers like that... even if you were like 10 years old (I think you are a little older ;)) they have to treat you with respect, because customer should be king/queen ;) !! next time i have to deal with something like that, i will definitely say, that i am not willing to be treated like "that" and ask for another SA! they tend to forget that they wouldn't have a job without us! :blah:

I totally agree with MrsPreston about switching SAs if you find one to be particularly rude! I simply won't stand for that type of behavior from any SA! As for the Mini situation, if you are sure that you want to purchase it within the next month or so you can put your name on the waiting list now. That way when they receive the next shipment you will be notified instead of having to go to or call the stores everyday. :biggrin:

Yes, I'm older than 10 xD
Thanks for responding! :smile:
And before I left, I think the SA put me on the list, but he said they might not get enough in. So, I think I might be better off buying from a better Chanel store.
Would it be any easier to call one of the stores in New York or Beverly Hills? One SA recommended that, but I wasn't sure :smile:

I was debating for a long time before buying my caviar mini. I too was debating if I should buy the lambskin. The leather just look so buttery and soft! I was told by many that the lambskin does need more maintenance over the caviar. Although I baby my bags I didn't want the worries so I opted for the caviar. If you don't want the hassle of dealing with snooty SA's in person I highly suggest you try giving sara a call at the Nordstrom in Nashville and put your name down on the waitlist! She and her colleague were absolutely amazing! They even texted me the tracking number for my bag during my vacation!!!

Anyways, good luck with everything and I hope you find the bag you want!!

Just in case you are still interested, I just found out from Terri (SA) from Nordstrom in Nashville that they have only 1 more black caviar mini left w/silver hw. They are also expecting a burgandy lambskin mini, and a red caviar to be coming in any day now. You might want to put your name down if interested!

For me the lambskin is toooo délicate, and compared to many vintage i saw, for me, with time the lambskin will look more like old bag than the patent.
For young persons, i'll suggest the patent leather, it's more easy to maintenance and in 10 or 20 years or more, it'll still look new (basing on what I saw about vintag Chanels).
I suggest you a black patent, or a vibrant color like red, pink, lavender or blue. Or if you dont like the shiny and always new effect, the caviar is also a good option.
And about the SA, dont deal with those who make you feel unconfortable.
Good luck !

Get lamb!!! All u need is some conditioning lotion and scratches will come right out! I got mine after the chanel SA told me that's what they use on their bags at the boutique....cost me only 6 bucks! Plus the size will be less likely to get bumped and knocked anyways. Also, lamb use to cost more but is the same price now.

lilkooties said:
Get lamb!!! All u need is some conditioning lotion and scratches will come right out! I got mine after the chanel SA told me that's what they use on their bags at the boutique....cost me only 6 bucks! Plus the size will be less likely to get bumped and knocked anyways. Also, lamb use to cost more but is the same price now.

What's a conditioning lotion ? Sorry, im planning to purchase a lambskin woc since i think its much better ! :biggrin:

I usually say 'i would like another SA... if they give you a look then say ' (call there name), attitude is too rude and i don't wanna get serve by you' love seeing their face after that statement with their name in it. There face will loose confident and it shows that customer have the right to be treated with respect whether your young or older. I've complain several time and they offer me a private customer service. I normally remember the good SA and keep returning to them and no one else.

As for your decision your first buying a Chanel bag you wanna have a good experience and happy what you chosen. I have not own a lambskin bag, feeling that I will be extra baby care more than the caviar. I've caviar bags and i can tell you that i worry less with low maintenance. You just don't want to feel that you scratch the lambskin every minute. Sorry for my long essay. Good luck with your decisions and experience :smile:

A. x

Sorry, cannot help you with first question. The European boutiques (where I am ) are almost always have the classic in stock. I never asked about Mini, so I am not sure. However, I have a few lambskin pieces and I don't baby my bag but I am just quite organized and careful at handling. I never had any problems with my chanels. i found all them are very durable.. I don't tend to care about the snooty SA if you don't like the SA you always have a choice to not buy there. it's your money after all!

I would try to see if NM would be able to order or locate at another NM the bag you are looking for. I Had a hard time finding my jumbo flap and my cambon wallet this past December. I buy my chanel accessories at the NM in my area, since there are no Chanel boutiques near me and my SA went out of her to locate both items. So I would see what they are able to get for you. As for the snotty SA, don't let that deter from going in. Try to go at a different time and perhaps she won't be working. If she is there, simply and politely ask if anyone else is working and could you deal with them. At least that is what I would do. If you don't want to do that, I would just explain I am looking for a bag myself and say what you're looking for. Sometimes, in my experience, if you show you know that you're knowledgable of the brand snotty SAs will drop the attitude.

As for Lamb, I love the luxurious feel but I'm too scared of scratching. So I stick with caviar but that's my opinion. Take into consideration how much you'll be using it, etc. but in the end buy what makes your heart sing.

I think you should ask the lovely Tpf ladies i'm sure one of them lives in your area and can give you the name of an amazing sales assistant!

As for Chanel it soon becomes an obsession and their leather is buttersoft.
Chanel is for me the chicest of them all.

lilkooties said:

What's the name of the lambskin conditioner? That would be good to know :smile:
Thanks to everyone who has replied, you all have been a big help! :smile:
I've decided on the Lambskin with gold HW, and I'll be going to Dallas soon so I will hopefully come back with my Chanel :smile:
And thanks Pinkrubies- I might give them a call!