Questions about Ebay seller slow shipping and Media Mail.

lulu212121

O.G.
Jan 1, 2007
I made a purchase on Ebay and paid on July 6. I received notification that seller shipped July 9. I have heard that shipping is slower due to Covid-19, so I have not thought much about not receiving my item on the July 15 day that Ebay estimated.

I go to check on my item with the tracking number and find that the seller only printed the label, but did not mail it until July 18. It's still in process. Now delayed by USPS.

I also saw that the seller used Media Mail even though this purchase is not media.

I contacted the seller to let them know I am not happy about this delay. They could have contacted me to let me know. The seller replies, "Sorry for the delay. Thanks for your patience."

Do I have to wait to receive package before I can file a complaint? Can shoes be shipped "media mail" now?

Couple of comments:

If the seller used media mail and if media mail is a downgraded service from what the listing stated as the service, the seller can't (ebay legally) do that. I'd definitely request a refund of the difference in price between the advertised service and the media mail service used.

Additionally, Media Mail is very restrictive in what that service can be used for. Plus, the post office has the right to open and inspect the item to make sure it complies. Though it doesn't happen often, if they open and find misuse of the media mail service, you might be hit with a postage due bill! (Sometimes the post office will notify ebay and ebay will charge the seller for the underpayment.)

As for your saying that the item wasn't shipped until July 18, that might or might not be the case.

During Covid, I've made it a point to take my items to the post office on the day of payment and I have the item scanned as "accepted" at that time. Yet still, it sometimes doesn't show as accepted for another day or two. So buyers may think I was lying when I said I'd mail it out that day. I think this is happening more frequently during the pandemic.

I'm also seeing more "Your package will arrive later than expected, but is still on its way. It is currently in transit to the next facility." I attribute that to the pandemic too.

While it seems as though your seller did ship with a cheaper, slower and improper service, it's possible that the other issues aren't her fault.

Thanks for the reply.

I understand USPS is running a bit slower than before. The seller printed the shipping label July 9 and it was scanned by USPS July 18. I'm certain it was the seller not taking my package to USPS. I think the seller just wanted to satisfy Ebay on their "handling" time.

The seller charged me for Priority Mail. Media mail will definitely be cheaper for a pair of fabric pumps.

If I don't receive my shoes next week can I file an INR?

But if I do receive my shoes can I report the seller for not sending Priority Mail and abusing Media Mail?

Lastly, if I do receive the shoes with a postage due can I refuse?

Thanks for the reply.

I understand USPS is running a bit slower than before. The seller printed the shipping label July 9 and it was scanned by USPS July 18. I'm certain it was the seller not taking my package to USPS. I think the seller just wanted to satisfy Ebay on their "handling" time.

The seller charged me for Priority Mail. Media mail will definitely be cheaper for a pair of fabric pumps.

If I don't receive my shoes next week can I file an INR?

But if I do receive my shoes can I report the seller for not sending Priority Mail and abusing Media Mail?

Lastly, if I do receive the shoes with a postage due can I refuse?
Unfortunately (for the seller), she doesn't satisfy the handling time if she doesn't ship within that handling time and tracking will show that.

What is the date shown as the estimated delivery date? I think you should be able to file although ebay won't decide the case in your favor as long as the tracking shows that there's movement. The seller can request additional time for delivery to take place.

Yeah, open INR. She'll have a certain amount of time to respond so you might have to wait before escalating but unless you receive it, I'd escalate when you're able. That's ridiculous that she did that!

Reactions: caannie
I received my package today. The seller did send the shoes Media Mail. I was charged and paid for Priority Mail. How do I proceed with a complaint and a shipping refund through Ebay since I have an open INR right now?

I opened an INR and asked the seller for a refund but the seller replied with a message "thanking me for my patience", again. Seller did not address the shipping at all.

I received my package today. The seller did send the shoes Media Mail. I was charged and paid for Priority Mail. How do I proceed with a complaint and a shipping refund through Ebay since I have an open INR right now?

I opened an INR and asked the seller for a refund but the seller replied with a message "thanking me for my patience", again. Seller did not address the shipping at all.
If you opened INR and the seller didn't respond with what you wanted, you can escalate and ebay will tell the seller to issue a return shipping label. (You might also call ebay and tell them that she downgraded by using media mail, disallowed for your item and overcharged for priority mail.)

Once you escalate, they should decide in your favor, either requiring her to send a shipping label if she wants it back or she can issue a refund without a return.