Questions about brand jfa

Jennl63

Jun 27, 2020
Hi girls, I have a couple of questions about brand jfa and am hoping someone would help me out with.
It says that custom is not included. Has anyone had experience with paying for custom? How much did you have to pay? I’m located in Ontario, Canada - but any feedback is appreciated. I wonder what it reports on the custom slip as well.
Thank you!!!

Last edited:
I’m not in the US but I’ve purchased from them recently and due to shipping restrictions from Japan, they only use DHL. You will almost certainly get charged with customs fees if they’re using a courier. With standard post, there is a chance it gets through without charges but not with couriers in my experience. I’ll leave the questions of how much taxes to others living in the US.

I’m in the US and have bought from brand JFA for many years. This year, I was hit with a first time customs fee of about 630 usd Through DHL for a 6600 purchase. I think perhaps brand jfa used EMS or another courier in the past. it’s still a great deal though

there is a separate customs thread somewhere on the forum you could check out.

Last edited:
Reactions: charlottebag
Hi girls, I have a couple of questions about brand jfa and am hoping someone would help me out with.
It says that custom is not included. Has anyone had experience with paying for custom? How much did you have to pay? I’m located in Ontario, Canada - but any feedback is appreciated. I wonder what it reports on the custom slip as well.
Thank you!!!
Hi! I’m in Canada and I bought my vintage Diana from brand_jfa. I’m going to try to DM you with the details.

EA5392C0-EDB8-4790-8D22-DD5CA7987211.jpeg

I’m in the US and have bought from brand JFA for many years. This year, I was hit with a first time customs fee of about 630 usd Through DHL for a 6600 purchase. I think perhaps brand jfa used EMS or another courier in the past. it’s still a great deal though

Oh wow that’s a hefty charge. And yes it does have really good deals. Thanks for letting me know!

Omg with a customs tax like that you could almost get a flight to japan! Your situation reminds me of the preloved rolex I wanted to get, but the potential customs tax just killed me inside. Good that you got a great deal tho!

Thank you!!!
You’ll pay duty which can vary depending on where the item originates, and the tax component will be based on Ontario tax percentages. You can go online and look for a govt. thread that will help you estimate tax/duty.

So you'll pay duty + tax as well as the DHL handling/service fees. I purchased a bag from ebay (from a reputable Japanese seller) and paid total $995 (duty, tax, fees) on a $4000 bag. I also live in Ontario.

I know when I was purchasing I had questions about CETA and duty exclusion - but CETA duty exclusion only applies when the item is shipped from its country of origin. So since the bag is made in Italy or France but being shipped from Japan, you'll pay the full thing. Hope this helps.

Wow this is helpful. I purchased a vintage Chanel Classic Flap in 2018 and did not have any customs charges. I'm interested in another Chanel bag, but I'm scared of customs charges if they ship to DHL.

Beautiful bag! I’m also looking to buy a Diana from them soon. Any info on customs, duties and taxes is greatly appreciated! From the sounds of it, I should expect to pay an extra 25% on the bag
It really depends on where you are. If you're in the US, the customs threshold is US$800, so anything below $800 you won't get charged duty. In Canada, the threshold is C$20, or C$60 if they mark it as a gift. Yes, twenty or sixty dollars. It's very low here in Canada. You will want to budget an additional 20-25% for customs, duties, and sales tax.

Reactions: keodi
I’m based in the US and have ordered from Japanese resellers before. Prior to the pandemic, they shipped via EMS and I never had pay duty. But now, with DHL, I think you’re likely to get hit with custom charges...though the only thing I got this year from Japan was a vintage LV piece that was only ~$300, so no duties despite being shipped via DHL.

I’m based in the US and have ordered from Japanese resellers before. Prior to the pandemic, they shipped via EMS and I never had pay duty. But now, with DHL, I think you’re likely to get hit with custom charges...though the only thing I got this year from Japan was a vintage LV piece that was only ~$300, so no duties despite being shipped via DHL.
At least DHL is fast though. I bought something from brand jfa earlier this year and I got my item within 48 hours after shipping. I know someone else who bought from another Japanese seller who shipped via EMS despite the COVID delays, and the package sat in export customs in Japan for over 3 weeks before it moved.