Questions about an inspired bag you didn't even know was inspired

FijiBuni

STOP ANIMAL CRUELTY!
Aug 25, 2006
So I was in a consignment store with a friend and saw some cute bags that were cheapy (the kind that are cute but cheap, no name brand). So I really like this one bag it didn't have a designer name or anything. My friend bought it for me as a b-day gift and I was so excited till now. I was looking through the YSL thread and saw it looks like the grey ostrich downtown bag.. I didn't have a clue until I looked in the thread at the celeb with ysl bag pics. I feel kinda ify about it now, I'm really against fakes but this isn't a fake. What do you guys think.. its a really cute bag and I wouldn't try to pass it off as a ysl (why should I? cause its just a cheapy fake leather bag). Any advice.. I didn't even know and don't mind that its YSL inspired but?

I'm personally ok with "inspired" bags. Even top-tier designers are inspired by each other. As long as it's not a fake, contributing to unpleasant and sordid businesses, I don't see anything wrong with it. And you're not walking around claiming it's real either.

The only time I would have a problem with it is if there was a bag I really wanted, then I know an inspired version would not make me happy because I'd want it to be good quality and last me a long time. But if you don't really care, then why not? :shrugs:

So I was in a consignment store with a friend and saw some cute bags that were cheapy (the kind that are cute but cheap, no name brand). So I really like this one bag it didn't have a designer name or anything. My friend bought it for me as a b-day gift and I was so excited till now. I was looking through the YSL thread and saw it looks like the grey ostrich downtown bag.. I didn't have a clue until I looked in the thread at the celeb with ysl bag pics. I feel kinda ify about it now, I'm really against fakes but this isn't a fake. What do you guys think.. its a really cute bag and I wouldn't try to pass it off as a ysl (why should I? cause its just a cheapy fake leather bag). Any advice.. I didn't even know and don't mind that its YSL inspired but?

I wouldn't worry about this at all. I often go into stores and see bags that have been obviously inspired by top-dollar designer ones. They're perfectly legit and often very well-made and good value. A couple of years ago I saw bags in the window of a boutique near where I live. They were clearly cheapo versions of Chloe Paddingtons. At the time I had a REAL Paddy, but didn't feel at all uneasy.

I'm personally ok with "inspired" bags. Even top-tier designers are inspired by each other. As long as it's not a fake, contributing to unpleasant and sordid businesses, I don't see anything wrong with it. And you're not walking around claiming it's real either.

The only time I would have a problem with it is if there was a bag I really wanted, then I know an inspired version would not make me happy because I'd want it to be good quality and last me a long time. But if you don't really care, then why not? :shrugs:

Agreed!

I bought a bag last week that was clearly inspired by the Zagliani python puffy bag. I asked the same question you're asking yourself. The generous consensus is that if the bag is clearly inspired-by and not a knockoff with a fake designer label, you're good.

well the key word is "inspired." if it looks like an exact copy, but is just missing the label, i would still look down on that.

^^ Agree. If it is trying too hard to look like the real thing, I would call that misleading. But if it's just similar, not an exact copy, no problems.

funny you bring this question to the board, few weeks ago my g/f and I were out for lunch and stopped a local shoe store. We both decided on a new bag (cheap one) anyway it wasnt until yesterday while cleaning out my bag closet that i noticed it is an inspired to the Rebecca Minkoff Nikki.

Now was it is nice about it is, it gives me an idea of whether I like the style or not without spending a fortune.

On another note, I like having some cheapo bags, it makes me love my designer ones more some days.

So buy the bag you're looking at and enjoy!