Questions about an inspired bag you didn't even know was inspired

FijiBuni

STOP ANIMAL CRUELTY!
Aug 25, 2006
From here you can't see me stare
So I was in a consignment store with a friend and saw some cute bags that were cheapy (the kind that are cute but cheap, no name brand). So I really like this one bag it didn't have a designer name or anything. My friend bought it for me as a b-day gift and I was so excited till now. I was looking through the YSL thread and saw it looks like the grey ostrich downtown bag.. I didn't have a clue until I looked in the thread at the celeb with ysl bag pics. I feel kinda ify about it now, I'm really against fakes but this isn't a fake. What do you guys think.. its a really cute bag and I wouldn't try to pass it off as a ysl (why should I? cause its just a cheapy fake leather bag). Any advice.. I didn't even know and don't mind that its YSL inspired but?

Laurie8504

chocolate...where?
O.G.
Sep 10, 2007
US
I'm personally ok with "inspired" bags. Even top-tier designers are inspired by each other. As long as it's not a fake, contributing to unpleasant and sordid businesses, I don't see anything wrong with it. And you're not walking around claiming it's real either.

The only time I would have a problem with it is if there was a bag I really wanted, then I know an inspired version would not make me happy because I'd want it to be good quality and last me a long time. But if you don't really care, then why not? :shrugs:

heather123

Nov 13, 2006
IRELAND
So I was in a consignment store with a friend and saw some cute bags that were cheapy (the kind that are cute but cheap, no name brand). So I really like this one bag it didn't have a designer name or anything. My friend bought it for me as a b-day gift and I was so excited till now. I was looking through the YSL thread and saw it looks like the grey ostrich downtown bag.. I didn't have a clue until I looked in the thread at the celeb with ysl bag pics. I feel kinda ify about it now, I'm really against fakes but this isn't a fake. What do you guys think.. its a really cute bag and I wouldn't try to pass it off as a ysl (why should I? cause its just a cheapy fake leather bag). Any advice.. I didn't even know and don't mind that its YSL inspired but?
I wouldn't worry about this at all. I often go into stores and see bags that have been obviously inspired by top-dollar designer ones. They're perfectly legit and often very well-made and good value. A couple of years ago I saw bags in the window of a boutique near where I live. They were clearly cheapo versions of Chloe Paddingtons. At the time I had a REAL Paddy, but didn't feel at all uneasy.

wordbox

so in love!
O.G.
Feb 26, 2007
The North Pole
I'm personally ok with "inspired" bags. Even top-tier designers are inspired by each other. As long as it's not a fake, contributing to unpleasant and sordid businesses, I don't see anything wrong with it. And you're not walking around claiming it's real either.

The only time I would have a problem with it is if there was a bag I really wanted, then I know an inspired version would not make me happy because I'd want it to be good quality and last me a long time. But if you don't really care, then why not? :shrugs:
Agreed!

Rondafaye

O.G.
Aug 20, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
I bought a bag last week that was clearly inspired by the Zagliani python puffy bag. I asked the same question you're asking yourself. The generous consensus is that if the bag is clearly inspired-by and not a knockoff with a fake designer label, you're good.

gsh

Apr 15, 2008
LA
well the key word is "inspired." if it looks like an exact copy, but is just missing the label, i would still look down on that.

lucide

Jun 3, 2007
Texas
well the key word is "inspired." if it looks like an exact copy, but is just missing the label, i would still look down on that.
^^ Agree. If it is trying too hard to look like the real thing, I would call that misleading. But if it's just similar, not an exact copy, no problems.

Bag Fetish

Iphone Addict!
O.G.
Mar 28, 2006
the land of cold!
funny you bring this question to the board, few weeks ago my g/f and I were out for lunch and stopped a local shoe store. We both decided on a new bag (cheap one) anyway it wasnt until yesterday while cleaning out my bag closet that i noticed it is an inspired to the Rebecca Minkoff Nikki.

Now was it is nice about it is, it gives me an idea of whether I like the style or not without spending a fortune.

On another note, I like having some cheapo bags, it makes me love my designer ones more some days.

So buy the bag you're looking at and enjoy!