Questionable Second Chance Offer

Nov 29, 2006
I scheduled a bid on a designer bag on eBay with eSnipe. The auction just ended but I was not the highest bidder. The auction is "private" so the identities of the bidders are hidden. Almost immediately after the auction ended, I get an email through eBay messaging that the seller has offered me a second chance to get the bag at my max price. I am worried that I may be a victim of shill bidding but since the auction is private, is there any way I can find out for sure? I don't mind paying for the bag at this price but if I am being taken advantage of, I'd rather pass on it. Thanks in advance for any advice!

I don't know of a way to for to check if its shill bidding. I have has this happen in the past to me and if the price is reasonable and it's an item I want I accept the offer. If you don't feel comfortable buying the item then maybe look for it from another seller.

I think it is shill bidding. Private listing, sco just after auction end, it's all too weird. The seller must wait at least 8 days if it is a non paying buyer or the seller and buyer have to agree instantaneously after the auction to cancel the transaction. I suspect they cancelled the auction instantaneously because the seller and the buyer are the same person. If you want the item and feel the price is right even though the seller gouged the auction (without shilling you would have paid lower) then go through with the sale. I would not personally. I do not like to reward this type of unscrupulous behavior of shill sellers.

I think it is shill bidding. Private listing, sco just after auction end, it's all too weird. The seller must wait at least 8 days if it is a non paying buyer or the seller and buyer have to agree instantaneously after the auction to cancel the transaction. I suspect they cancelled the auction instantaneously because the seller and the buyer are the same person. If you want the item and feel the price is right even though the seller gouged the auction (without shilling you would have paid lower) then go through with the sale. I would not personally. I do not like to reward this type of unscrupulous behavior of shill sellers.

Yes, this is what I was not wanting to do by accepting the offer. I will decline it because my gut tells me that's what happened.

I think it is shill bidding. Private listing, sco just after auction end, it's all too weird.

Red flags. IMO, there's generally no reason for sellers to run private listings on handbags. (I understand that in certain categories - fetish, personal care products, etc. - there are valid reasons for protecting one's privacy.)

If you look back at the seller's older feedback, do you see repeat favorite customers? If you google the seller's ID or search TPF, are there any posts that mention the seller?

Red flags. IMO, there's generally no reason for sellers to run private listings on handbags. (I understand that in certain categories - fetish, personal care products, etc. - there are valid reasons for protecting one's privacy.)

If you look back at the seller's older feedback, do you see repeat favorite customers? If you google the seller's ID or search TPF, are there any posts that mention the seller?

Hi BB,

I was so hoping you would reply :smile:. The seller only has 27 feedbacks and about half are from sales. Nothing really stands out when I look at the seller's feedback. I responded to and declined the second chance offer, saying something to the effect that I wished I had seen the offer earlier but I have since committed to buying something else and no longer have the funds to purchase the bag. What I really wished I had the guts to say was that I suspected shilling and that I would not reward that kind of practice with my hard-earned money.

I disagree that it could be shill bidding.

I sold a mobile a couple of months ago, someone bid in the last minute, and won, as soon as I looked at the person I knew they were not going to pay, they had numerous feedback all stating that they were a non paying bidder, so I immediately second chance offered it instead of waiting and when I could I applied to eBay for my final fees back.

I would be so unhappy to hear that if this story came up from the person I offered a second chance to's opinion that everyone immediately assumed shill bidding.

melanie789611 said:
I disagree that it could be shill bidding.

I sold a mobile a couple of months ago, someone bid in the last minute, and won, as soon as I looked at the person I knew they were not going to pay, they had numerous feedback all stating that they were a non paying bidder, so I immediately second chance offered it instead of waiting and when I could I applied to eBay for my final fees back.

I would be so unhappy to hear that if this story came up from the person I offered a second chance to's opinion that everyone immediately assumed shill bidding.

I'd like to edit that in saying I disagree that it is definitely shill bidding. As it may not be.

I find that buyers are leery to accept a SCO in any case because they think that something weird is going on, not necessarily shilling. They wonder why the winning bidder changed their mind and that there might be something wrong with the item that they didn't consider. When the winning bidder backs out, the item immediately becomes less desirable.

I wouldn't feel comfortable in this case because the private bidding prevents you from seeing if there was shilling. I think you should have told the seller that the private bidding was a factor in your decision.