Questionable Chanel purchase

BabyD15

Jun 29, 2009
Any advice would be appreciated, I bought a Large (the big one) Silver perforated Rodeo drive from Ebay "buy it now" for $1280, after purchasing I noticed that the strap was missing and upon emailing they confirmed that the strap was indeed missing but to "consider" the bag as it was in excellent condition with no damage (missing strap was not indicated in the listing) I received the bag 6 days later (from Japan). I was very happy with it until I started noticing small things (that weren't included in the listing either). They offer 14 day money back refund but, I still love the bag and want to keep it. I had no problem paying full asking price assuming there was no damage. But now feel maybe I should ask for a partial refund. (It's not everyday that I get a Chanel bag, my husband bought it for my 40th). Let me know what you think.

Damages I noticed: Small chip in the hardware (metal plating mustve bubbled and when the chain hit against it has chipped)

Small slit on the bottom of the bag

Screw holding one of the pieces of hardware was screwed into a perforation and it had broken loose, (my husband was able to fix this)

Thread under the Chanel logo is exposed (tied in 3 knots) if it comes undone will unravel the logo.

Thanks for your thoughts!!

Wow, that is a lot of damage for one bag! I think the most troubling to me are the missing strap (how do you manage to forget to have that in the listing?) and the slit on the bottom of the bag. Loose threads can be resewn by a leather worker (Chanel or other), and hardware can often be fixed (again, by Chanel), but a slit in the leather is not something easily fixed. I'm not so sure Chanel would have the ability to replace the strap, as they may not have that leather still, and it's not like replacing chains. This is a big bag to hold only by the chains.

I know it was a gift from your DH for your 40th, which is so super special, but if it were me, I would think that the problems outweigh the good in this case; I would send it back.

Thanks for the replies, The slit in the leather is very tiny and doesn't bother me, I already ordered a strap for it (not Chanel). I'm trying to figure out how to upload pics. Still not used to Windows 8 and still confused ;)

Thanks for the replies, The slit in the leather is very tiny and doesn't bother me, I already ordered a strap for it (not Chanel). I'm trying to figure out how to upload pics. Still not used to Windows 8 and still confused ;)

If you have already ordered a strap, and don't really mind the tiny slit, it sounds like you definitely want to keep this then. It's a great hobo/tote and not that many were out there. If the seller realizes that they forgot to mention the no strap, and are willing to pay for the cost of the new strap, then that sounds like it might be fair to ask for in a partial refund. Many sellers are hesitant to do partial refunds, but in this case, I would imagine they would work with you. Maybe they would pay for the cost of the Chanel repair as well for the hardware and stitching fix. :smile:

Not to be so blunt, but why would you ever order a strap that is not officially Chanel? You have just voided the authenticity of that bag and Chanel will not repair it in the future. It sounds like that doesn't matter to you though as you seem to think the other things can be fixed by anyone and don't feel it has to be genuine Chanel.

For me, even at the price you paid, these are expensive bags and you want them to be genuine Chanel parts and in pristine condition. Otherwise, quite frankly, with a "fake Chanel strap", sorry... That is what that strap will be perceived as if it is not authentic Chanel. The bag is no longer an authentic Chanel so it's something to think about.

I would definitely take the bag in to Chanel and have then restore it. The seller should have told you about he strap.

For me, that bag has a lot of flaws.... It's a deal because its jn poor shape. I would return it. These are not cheap bags, at any price.

I agree that you should try to order a true Chanel strap...what's the point in spending so much on a used bag to end up with a "partially fake" Chanel ?

The bag doesn't appear to ever have been used. I have a few LV's but never had a Chanel and wasn't sure if these were common problems. The missing
strap doesn't bother me because I wasn't ever going to carry it by the strap anyway, and don't plan on ever reselling it. I did contact the seller and they said to send it back if I didn't want it, I guess my question is, is the bag worth $1280 in its current condition. I thought I was getting a great deal. Maybe I'm being too picky.....

ps. I still ♥ the bag, it's beautiful!

Attachments

• knott.jpg
    knott.jpg
    337.3 KB · Views: 677
  • chain.jpg
    chain.jpg
    340.5 KB · Views: 667
  • chipped.jpg
    chipped.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 628
  • slit.jpg
    slit.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 654
Happy 40th Birthday! You have a wonderful husband who understands the love of Chanel. I know you love the bag with your heart but you should also add some practicity into the equation IMO. Does it have an authencity card and matching authenticity code inside the bag? You never know when you might want to re-sell it in the future and not having an authentic Chanel strap might be a deal breaker.....

Return it as another "great" deal will come along if you are patient....

BabyD15 said:
The bag doesn't appear to ever have been used. I have a few LV's but never had a Chanel and wasn't sure if these were common problems. The missing
strap doesn't bother me because I wasn't ever going to carry it by the strap anyway, and don't plan on ever reselling it. I did contact the seller and they said to send it back if I didn't want it, I guess my question is, is the bag worth $1280 in its current condition. I thought I was getting a great deal. Maybe I'm being too picky.....

ps. I still ♥ the bag, it's beautiful!

I don't like what I see... Too many issues and the leather rips are a deal breaker for me. This is a lot of money and I would definitely not buy this bag. By the way, did you get this authenticated to make sure it's genuine Chanel?

There are other Chanel bags you can buy for this money. I would return it if it were me.

By the way, on the bag itself, my honest opinion is that I don't like the style of the bag itself. It looks cheap and I would suggest perhaps a different style. I would get something more classic Chanel... This bag to me could easily look like something purchased fake off a street vendor.

I know it's your first Chanel, but don't settle just because you have the bag and it is in your price point. Take your time and look further.

My two cents... I hope this was helpful.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Authentic-C...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
The auction shows clearly that no strap was included; he even states what is included (the authenticity seal) and to look at the photos, so I think it was fairly evident that there was none--you can even see the "buckle" attachment points with no strap there. If you know that this bag is the Rodeo Perforated, then you find out it came with a silver leather strap.

I think the fact that the seller offers a 7 day return policy is really fantastic. I would take him up on it. I just don't think I could deal with a partially correct Chanel bag, personally. Looking at the auction, I think the best for all would be to just return it.

The "worth" of a bag is what it's worth to you. You felt you were getting a great deal when you bought it, you really seem to love it, despite the flaws that sometimes come with vintage bags, so it's really up to you, not the rest of us. Since you feel you will never sell it, then I suppose what you do with it as far as a strap (that you say you don't plan to use anyway) is totally up to you. If you love it, keep it and enjoy it. If you don't, return it. No partial refund will change how you feel about something.

Again, happy 40th birthday, whatever you decide! :smile: