Question Your Vet! :lil dogs

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. My little chihuahua had her rabies shot the other week. That day and at least the next two days she was sooo sick. I had to spoon feed her chicken broth, she wouldnt come out of her cage (which is rare unless she is mad bc she is a huge lapdog). Everytime we would try to pick her up she squealed bloody murder, well here's where it gets interesting...

I called the vet, they said we could bring her in, sorry but they weren't fooling me I had spent $300 on her for the visit the day before, i got an attitude and said "let me guess you cant do anything but give her fluids, a can of chicken and rice and charge me $175" and the receptionist was dumbfounded and said "yea thats basically all we can do but you should bring her in for fluids" whatever, ive already been there before when she got sick and they did the same thing so i just made sure i was encouraging her to drink more. but here's what i didnt know that pisses me off...

that don't measure vacines. They give my 3 pound chihuahua the same amount of medicine for any of her shots that they give my neighbors 80 pound lab. EXCUSE ME??? When I confronted them about it after she was so miserable they couldn't give me a reason why they didn't measure out the amounts, so now that I know that I switched to a different place that does change the dose amount so ask your vet next time and hopefully your dog won't end up as sick as my baby.

2. ^How awful!

Hope your doggie is feeling better.

3. Find another vet.

4. Thank you for posting this. We all need to be vigilant and to know, as best we can, exactly what the vet's normal procedures are. It's difficult to be on top of it without knowing all the things we should be on the lookout for, and you have given us something to think about.
    Hope your dog is feeling back to speed by now.

5. #5 Sep 13, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
    ^^ Yep, no matter what the situation is, whether it be vets or doctors or getting your car serviced.. we all need to be careful!

One of my cat's got run over on a public holiday and we brought him to the emergency pet hospital.. and then to our local hospital.. so visiting etc would be easier.. but our normal doctor was away for long service leave, but thinking oh well, i'm sure they'll take good care of him! A month after he came home, I noticed his tail was a bit skinny on one side, he has a massive fluffy tail so it was fairly obvious. When I had a closer look it felt scabby even though the fur was still there.. next vet visit to change his dressing with our normal vet, I told him my concerns and he shaved it to find that the skin has been so damaged that it had died and might be spreading... so now after having a leg amputated, he may need to lose his beautiful tail as well... just because no one was diligent enough to check this particular appendage!!

Hope your dog is feeling better OP!

6. ^That's awful! Which vet was that? Our vet has been nothing but fantastic apart from one incident where our family dog (12yr old lab) had an anesthetic and he had a reaction to it, the vet nurse didn't check him properly and sure enough I found a weeping lump where the needle had been. Our vet was very unhappy with the nurse and gave him some anti-histamines and it cleared up. I'm lucky in that I used to work there when I was a teenager so I know the goings on and procedures. They should ALWAYS measure an animal's weight (and thus appropriate amount of vaccine) before the consult... our vet always does this, and he measures the amount in front of us which I find more comforting.

But definitely always double check your animals and you know better than your vet when something is wrong so don't be afraid to question the vet!

7. ^^ Initial consult was at balcatta... effing atrocious treatment we got there, esp with the premium they charge for everything!! Our vet was so shocked that none of the vet nurses (or the other vet that did the amputation) checked his tail that he said if it needs to go, we won't get another bill!

8. Poor baby!

If you can find a vet who will run titers every year, that would be the way to go. Titers will tell you the blood serum levels of the vaccine in your dog's system so you are not over vaccinating year after year.

Thankfully, some of the veterinary community is finally recognizing we are over vaccinating our pets.
    http://www.rottclub.ca/vaccinations.html

9. Insane... Our vet is in Cottesloe and I don't dare go anywhere else, amazing how bad some vets are! I hope your kitty doesn't lose his tail!
    Boxermom- I've never heard of that before, how interesting! thanks for posting :smile:

10. omg, i cant believe they would give your tiny baby a dose suitable for a larger dog! I hate it when vets treat us and our pets this way. They presure that if you need them, then you need then so they can get away with treating you and your pets however they feel like it. They should be ashamed of themselves.
    I hope you find another vet that you are happy with. Mine are great, and for that i am very grateful!

11. #11 Sep 13, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
    Please understand that veterinarians cannot "split doses," of vaccine. Here is the reason:

This is from Current Vaccination Strategies in Puppies and Kittens, Gina M. Davis-Wurzler, DVM, Vet Clin Small Anim 36 (2006) 607–640:

The practitioner is advised always to follow manufacturer’s directions for
    dose and route of administration. Using a topical product parenterally or splitting
    doses should never be done. Administration of a modified-live bacterin
    vaccine designed for topical administration yet administered parenterally
    may have serious and potentially fatal consequences (Fig. 1). A full dose is required
    to stimulate the immune system; there is no medical basis for giving
    a smaller dose to a toy-breed dog, and this practice could lead to vaccine failure
    in that animal. If done with a rabies vaccine, the practitioner is not following
    federal requirements, which carries potential legal implications [4,12].

12. Vaccine reaction is not dose dependant....if an animal or person is going to have a reaction to a substance , then they have a reaction, regardless of the amount given. In our hospital we have seen very large dogs have vaccine reactions, which is why vaccine titers, as mentioned above, may be a good choice.

13. #13 Sep 15, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
    ^^ I agree, an animal that is going to have a reaction will have that reaction whether the dose is small or large. But doesn't it make sense that the bigger the dose (proportionately speaking), the bigger the reaction may be? The regulations posted above, which I do understand are designed to prevent vaccine failure, are just one more reason that I am increasingly uneasy with all "standard" medical practices - both animal and human. It's another example of how precarious it can become for an animal or human if they have unusual problems or adverse reactions to medications or procedures.

14. In my state, WA, rabies vaccinations are required by law (we have the 3 year after the initial dose). You could do an antibody titer for this, but you still need to vaccinate for rabies, regardless.

15. Yes, rabies vaccinations are required by law! In my experience, the highest number of reactions seem to come from the combo virus vaccines (what people commonly refer to as "distemper" shots.) Titers can be helpful for these.

Sometimes, the problem can be with the particular vaccine-we had to switch brands several times to find the one that was the most "gentle."

Rabies is fatal to human beings, and to animals. It is very, very important to follow the regulations surrounding this vaccination.