Question US tax

kashmira

Team Orange
O.G.
Feb 6, 2008
If I (I am in Europe) buy a bag in the US and have it shipped to someone in NYC- would I have to pay tax?

I think that if I buy it and has it shipped to me there would be no US tax (as I would pay the tax in my country).

The question becomes...what store is it and does the person living in NYC have that store in their home state? For ex: Say you are buying from Gap. If there is a Gap store in NYC you will pay the tax for the county that person lives in. (remember taxes vary from county to county - at least in the state in which I live) If there is no store in her state, she will not pay tax.

I suppose there can always be that rare circumstance where an SA may skirt around it somehow, but it is rare.

There is one other thing...some states still expect you to be honest and pay the tax on your own, but that does not happen. KWIM? There will be something in writing that says certain customers in certain states pay "X" taxes and others are responsible via their own state laws to pay appropriate taxes.

Last edited:
The question becomes...what store is it and does the person living in NYC have that store in their home state? For ex: Say you are buying from Gap. If there is a Gap store in NYC you will pay the tax for the county that person lives in. (remember taxes vary from county to county - at least in the state in which I live) If there is no store in her state, she will not pay tax.

I suppose there can always be that rare circumstance where an SA may skirt around it somehow, but it is rare.

There is one other thing...some states still expect you to be honest and pay the tax on your own, but that does not happen. KWIM? There will be something in writing that says certain customers in certain states pay "X" taxes and others are responsible via their own state laws to pay appropriate taxes.

Thanks for your reply! The company in question also has two stores in NYC so tax would be unavoidable.

I so much wish there was a way to get this bag to Europe without having to pay taxes... If I would have it sent directly to me it would cost me more than 50% more than if my SA in Europe could get it for me given the taxes...