Question- Sarah wallet!!

ehy210

O.G.
Apr 21, 2011
I've heard many TPFers ravee about their sarah wallet! It looks like a very functional, simple, classic wallet. I've heard a couple complain about it starting to crack- over and over again. Here's a youtube video where the girl says that there is a "design flaw" For those who dont want to sit through the whole video, you can start watching from the time 1:45. Please share your experiences! Has this happened to all sarah wallets? I dont hear about this problem often and want to know if it is really a "design flaw." Thanks so much!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX24HhesOTA

momoftwins

Aug 11, 2010
I have 2 Sarah wallets. Neither has cracked at all.

I have it in Monogram and in Black Multicolore Monogram.

LV-58.png

LV-10.png

LV-11.png

I've heard many TPFers ravee about their sarah wallet! It looks like a very functional, simple, classic wallet. I've heard a couple complain about it starting to crack- over and over again. Here's a youtube video where the girl says that there is a "design flaw" For those who dont want to sit through the whole video, you can start watching from the time 1:45. Please share your experiences! Has this happened to all sarah wallets? I dont hear about this problem often and want to know if it is really a "design flaw." Thanks so much!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX24HhesOTA

momtok

Daughter & Tim Gunn
O.G.
Aug 21, 2009
She's saying "rubber" in the video ...... does she mean sealant? Or in other words, the "edge coating"? That is, not the actual leather itself that's cracking, nor the actual coated canvas cracking, but rather "sealant/edge-coating" cracking and starting to peel off?

To my (admittedly still newbie) ears, that's what her explanation sounds like.

If that's the case, that wouldn't actually freak me out as much. (Not good of course, but not quite as bad as breaking leather.) I'd always thought that people were saying the leather or the coated canvas itself cracks. Sealant -- that's a different thing, and I know with some other brands too, sealant tends to peel faster.

???

drspock7

Handbag Connoisseur
O.G.
Feb 7, 2009
I had a Sarah. Vernis rouge fauviste. And as much as I loved it. It did crack in a very short period. When I took it back my SA said they had never seen cracking like that (I'm guessing in the place) It didn't appear to be exactly in the fold but it was still a tension area nonetheless. The actual vernis leather started to crack---not the edge coating. I had only had it a short while, but they gave me a credit and I picked out another.

In the short time that I had it. I did fall in love with it. I have been contemplating ever since getting another...in vernis no less.

I feel like you can't let other people's issues stop you. Although it happened to me, it didn't happen to momoftwins...and it may not happen to you. It's like a bad day at the factory

I remember buying a new car and a month later needing a new transmission. Of course it was under warranty but sometimes THInGS JUST HAPPEN.

Go on honey, take a chance....(in my coming to america- lady on the subway, voice )

:smile:

Jun 20, 2010
I don't believe it's a design flaw! I have been using my mono sarah for three years straight and it looks like the day I purchased it in NYC. This is my favorite LV wallet, I plan to use it for a very long time!!!

gummypanda

Feb 15, 2011
I had a Sarah. Vernis rouge fauviste. And as much as I loved it. It did crack in a very short period. When I took it back my SA said they had never seen cracking like that (I'm guessing in the place) It didn't appear to be exactly in the fold but it was still a tension area nonetheless. The actual vernis leather started to crack---not the edge coating. I had only had it a short while, but they gave me a credit and I picked out another.

In the short time that I had it. I did fall in love with it. I have been contemplating ever since getting another...in vernis no less.

I feel like you can't let other people's issues stop you. Although it happened to me, it didn't happen to momoftwins...and it may not happen to you. It's like a bad day at the factory

I remember buying a new car and a month later needing a new transmission. Of course it was under warranty but sometimes THInGS JUST HAPPEN.

Go on honey, take a chance....(in my coming to america- lady on the subway, voice )

:smile:
drspock7: Hi, thanks for sharing. I also purchased the Vernis rouge fauviste sarah wallet which will arrive next week. When did you start seeing the crack? 1 week or 1 months?

drspock7

Handbag Connoisseur
O.G.
Feb 7, 2009
drspock7: Hi, thanks for sharing. I also purchased the Vernis rouge fauviste sarah wallet which will arrive next week. When did you start seeing the crack? 1 week or 1 months?

It was more like within a month. I so loved the wallet and am still contemplating getting it again. Don't let that stop you. I would have never gotten and bags with vachetta or damier if we listened to everyone. It's all case by case

iamsmilin

Sweetness
Sep 24, 2008
There was one thing about the video that kind of bothered me, she's bending the top back way more than it needs to and is flexing around. I get that it's a wallet and you're gonna use it but you don't need to pull the top back to get into the wallet. I've never had to bend it back to get into any part of my wallet.

I know I am more careful with my stuff than most but if you are rough with your stuff, don't be surprised that it starts to break. I've had my Sarah in Pomme for 2 years, and it looks great.

FreshLilies

Live. Laugh. Love.
Apr 17, 2010
I would just like to point out that the Damier coating has a reputation for cracking and peeling. To say that the flap/fold is a "design" flaw in all the Sarah wallets is very ignorant. That would mean that every LV item that "opens/folds" (ex. the agendas) is a "flaw" and would crack/peel. Which is definitely not the case.

Like some posters said, everyone's experience is different and not everyone will experience the same problems.

I have had no problems with cracking on my Multicolor Sarah wallet :flowers:

conrad18

O.G.
Apr 3, 2007
I've used my Vernis Sarah wallet everyday since getting her last year. I've had no problems and she still looks new. My only issue is that I find the Sarah a little too big and long for my personal taste, and I've found that I'm not really into Vernis. I now wish I would have gotten a smaller wallet in Mono instead. But, as for the wallet itself, I've had no problems.