Question RE: VI factory code

jilldilworth

Apr 14, 2016
Urban legends?
I have long heard that in 2011 or '12, Louis Vuitton stopped using the VI factory code, usually as part of the story that the factory itself was closed. Therefore, any bags with a VI date code after 2012 are by definition fakes.

However, I've never been able to verify this story, and I've seen bags that have been authenticated with VI date codes for the years 2017 and 2018. For example, there's a sold listing on the RealReal for a Pochette Metis with a 2017 VI date code.
So what is the actual story? Is the VI factory code back in use? Was it ever really not in use? I've been searching this forum and the internet at large for two days and can't get a straight answer.

Last edited:
Urban legends?
I have long heard that in 2011 or '12, Louis Vuitton stopped using the VI factory code, usually as part of the story that the factory itself was closed. Therefore, any bags with a VI date code after 2012 are by definition fakes.

However, I've never been able to verify this story, and I've seen bags that have been authenticated with VI date codes for the years 2017 and 2018. For example, there's a sold listing on the RealReal for a Pochette Metis with a 2017 VI date code.
So what is the actual story? Is the VI factory code back in use? Was it ever really not in use? I've been searching this forum and the internet at large for two days and can't get a straight answer.
Where have you heard these stories?

The VI factory closing tale is presented as gospel on some of the Facebook authentication pages but no one has ever given any authority for that claim. They just assert a bag with a VI date code after 2012 must be fake.
Meanwhile however I’ve seen a Pochette Métis sold on The RealReal with a 2017 VI code and a Speedy B DE with a 2018 VI code.
So obviously I’m skeptical about this but I can’t find a satisfactory answer.