Question on SpeedyB's handle

hellopatricia

Jan 30, 2016
Hi all, I have a question/concern about the Speedy Bandouliere's handle. I've been interested in getting a Speedy B25 in Damier Ebene for my birthday. I went into the first boutique and saw some creasing or wrinkles under the handles. It caught me off guard because if it's brand new from the store it shouldn't be like that. I pointed it out to the SA and she said it would be normal with wear. It seemed like she was dismissing the issue and just wanted me to buy it anyway. I went into another boutique and saw the same issue! The SA there was much nicer and said he would order one a new one for me to take a look at. He did mention that he doesn't gurantee on how it would look like but at least he could try for me. I decided to go into a third boutique because I still had time left and what do you know, same wrinkly marks. Now I'm just wondering if this is going to be the case for all Speedy B Damier Ebene bags? I just feel it's a bit odd that there are already creasing and whatnot even though it hasn't left the store yet.

Reactions: Aliluvlv
The wrinkles under the handles are pretty normal, especially with use. That being said when I was in Paris picking out my speedy b 25 in de, the first bag she brought me had lots of wrinkles under the handles. I asked her if she had any others in the back and she was very nice and brought out 2 more bags. The second bag's handles were 99% smooth (totally smooth on one side and very tiny wrinkles on the other). I didn't even have to look at the third bag because I knew the second one was for me. Often they have wrinkles, but I wanted the smoothest ones I could find especially since it was my first LV bag purchase. I wouldn't let it deter me from buying a bag I loved but I would also try to find one you're happy with. Here are some pics of the underside of my handles for comparison. I can't recommend this bag enough. It's fantastic! Good luck! 20170210_065759%7E2.jpeg20170210_065845%7E2.jpeg

Reactions: hellopatricia
The wrinkles under the handles are pretty normal, especially with use. That being said when I was in Paris picking out my speedy b 25 in de, the first bag she brought me had lots of wrinkles under the handles. I asked her if she had any others in the back and she was very nice and brought out 2 more bags. The second bag's handles were 99% smooth (totally smooth on one side and very tiny wrinkles on the other). I didn't even have to look at the third bag because I knew the second one was for me. Often they have wrinkles, but I wanted the smoothest ones I could find especially since it was my first LV bag purchase. I wouldn't let it deter me from buying a bag I loved but I would also try to find one you're happy with. Here are some pics of the underside of my handles for comparison. I can't recommend this bag enough. It's fantastic! Good luck! View attachment 3601179View attachment 3601180
Wow yours look almost perfect! If only the ones I saw was like yours-- I would have snatched it up right away!

Reactions: Aliluvlv
I had the same experience whilst shopping for a Speedy B 25. It really surprised me because, at the time, I owned a Speedy 35 and a Speedy 30 in Damier Ebene and the handles on both were completely smooth.

In case you're wondering, it doesn't matter where it's made. I looked at two Speedy B 25s here in the states that were Made in USA and one in Paris that was Made in France - all wrinkly.

Since it's just the underside of the handles, it doesn't bother me - it's not something I really notice when I use it.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the wrinkling on the underside of the handles... I actually quite like the feel of it... makes the handle more... grippy. However I would be more concerned about the glazing of the handles. On my most recent Speedy 40B purchase (I have purchased, sold, repurchased, it many a time in the traditional and bandouliere styles), mine had the glazing peel off (on its own) in one piece revealing the two parts where the handles meet. Picture grabbing a knife and then trying to pry apart the glazing from the handle in one piece and then you double it, as it happened to both my handles. Luckily my SA took one look at it and saw it as defective and replaced my bag (even just after one months continual use throughout Japan and Hong Kong - it had already developed a slight patina to it) no questions asked. I hope you find your perfect Speedy but just feel the glazing on the bag... if it is somewhat lumpy (possibly applied too thick) and not smooth, the same thing is going to happen (I noticed the peeling happen not even two weeks of me owning the bag, as well). Good Luck!!!

The wrinkling is normal - a result of the leather being stretched and sewn over the cord underneath - and is more of a nuisance than anything depending on the person's personal preferences/pickiness. I'm under the impression that it's a result of not only the specific piece of leather used but as well as the craftsman's skills and techniques during the assembly process (I can't even sew a button back onto my jacket without shedding blood much less imagine trying to fuss with a piece of leather and trying to get it 'perfectly' fitted over a flexible piece of cord).

This isn't really wear and tear, it's more a matter of how they are made. The wrinkles do not increase over time. Mine was very smooth with one handle and a bit more wrinkled with the second handle. I don't think it's something to be bothered with and I don't think it's a testimony to the quality of the bag. It has no affect of the usability of it either. You can always "hunt" for the one with perfect handles if you are bothered with it.