question on buying LV online

a4alice

O.G.
Jan 3, 2008
can i still buy LVs online through louisvuitton.com even though i live in canada? can boutiques ship items overseas? here is my scenario: i will be in hong kong and china (where my mom currently lives) for almost 4 months starting in mid may, i know i will miss out on the vernis alma because they are seasonal/LE pieces. i know there are LVs in HK and china but since i'm buying a bag for my mom with my money (i don't have any RMB or HKD), i probably need to buy it in either CAD or USD. so i was wondering if LV boutique or vuitton.com could ship the alma to my mom's address in china and charge me in CAD or USD. or do i have to come back to canada to get it at a boutique and then ship it to china on my own? is it safer to trust LV's shipping system (i don't want the canadian poste to lose my package)? or would they even do this for me? sorry for the long question.

I know the answer is no to your first two questions.

I would imagine your billing address on your CC has to match your shipping address, so they probably can't ship it to your mom.

Can't you just pay with your credit card when you are in Hong Kong? It'll just convert it to HKD for you :shrugs:

^^ thanks.. it's just that i don't have a CC yet... and even if i apply for one my limit is probably $500 which is no where close to the assumed price of the vernis alma... (student + i don't work) *sigh* and i don't know when it will be released... i might be travelling around in china so i probably don't/don't know how to get to their local LVs. plus it's much more expensive to buy it in china, and i think it's cheaper for me to buy in canada than in HK.

^^ thanks.. it's just that i don't have a CC yet... and even if i apply for one my limit is probably $500 which is no where close to the assumed price of the vernis alma... (student + i don't work) *sigh* and i don't know when it will be released... i might be travelling around in china so i probably don't/don't know how to get to their local LVs. plus it's much more expensive to buy it in china, and i think it's cheaper for me to buy in canada than in HK.

Actually, that's not true. Certain things were cheaper in HK than in Canada, and most things worked out to be the same. With the strong Canadian dollar you may be paying less in HK plus there's no sales tax there anyway. And I'm talking about compared to Alberta too, not the other provinces with PST/HST. My boyfriend's tie from Hong Kong was actually $20 cheaper. I think my Mini Lin Speedy worked out to about the same.

the thing is.. with currency calculations, banks charge you 4% or so for currency exchange (on bankofcanada website it's called cash rate), if it's just the pure currency exchange index it is actually a bit cheaper to buy in HK but with all the fees that you need to pay for currency exchange usually it's a little more expensive to buy in HK (that's taken into account of canadian taxes and no tax in hk). for example, the tivoli pm is $1005 including taxes (i live in toronto), which is $7457 HKD after exchange, but the same bag is priced at $7650HKD, so if i convert what i have in CAD to HKD i won't be able to buy the tivoli because i'm about $150 HKD short. in this sense it's cheaper to buy in canada (ok i'm not sure how it will be after price increase cuz i don't know if HK is also gonna have one).

What exchange rate are you using? $1005 CAD should come to almost $7800 HKD, not $7457. Today 1 CAD = 7.75 HKD. (Source: xe.com)

I didn't get charged 4% fees, I have my receipts from Hong Kong last year and it only works out to 2.5% or so.

Brain fart moment, I realized you incorporated the fees in there. Well, regardless, it is may be easier to buy the bag in Hong Kong...they have six stores and we have...well, one in each city that has LV.