Question: How do you "de-fur" your winter wool?

Sep 13, 2007
The other day I was at the doctor and the nurse said to me, while staring at my coat, "What do you have, a dog or cat?" I looked down and realized that my black wool coat was covered with enough dog and cat fur to stuff a couch.

I went home and for about an hour applied myself vigorously to the use of garment brushes, pet fur brushes, vacuum cleaner attachments and big swatches of sticky tape. But alas, even after all that, my wool jacket and scarves are still furry enough to make me a target of animal-rights protestors.

What do you guys use to rid your winter woollens of pet hair?

Sep 7, 2008
Everything I own is probably covered in pet fur. To remove fur from clothes I use a few methods.
1. lint rollers
2. damp sponge used in one direction only
3. Dry cleaning for garments like coats and dresses (basically getting someone else to do it)
Sometimes methods 1 and 2 together if needed.
I used to use packing tape rolled around my fingers (used in a rolling motion down the garment) until I discovered lint rollers, and it worked quite well.
I pick up my lint rollers from the dry cleaners and they're the best ones I've tried.

smallfry

My Sweet Angel
O.G.
Dec 18, 2005
The other day I was at the doctor and the nurse said to me, while staring at my coat, "What do you have, a dog or cat?" I looked down and realized that my black wool coat was covered with enough dog and cat fur to stuff a couch.

I went home and for about an hour applied myself vigorously to the use of garment brushes, pet fur brushes, vacuum cleaner attachments and big swatches of sticky tape. But alas, even after all that, my wool jacket and scarves are still furry enough to make me a target of animal-rights protestors.

What do you guys use to rid your winter woollens of pet hair?

I haven't tried anything different from what you've used, but just wanted to say that your post was cute and made me laugh :smile: Hope you find the perfect product to "de-fur" yourself!

jeshika

I want this one! <3
O.G.
Jul 18, 2006
my cat is white. and fluffy. my work wardrobe is made up of black, grey and navy outfits. i too have given up. she is going through major shedding. is it bad of me to consider making her wear a sweater so she doesn't shed as much? :P

Sep 13, 2007
^^lol
OP...can you post a pic? i am curious.

No, that is not a mohair scarf. And that is *after* the lint brush. :P My husband got a second yellow lab and labs are manic shedders.

I must be such a nerd. After all the years of living with cats and dogs I just never thought about pet hair on my clothes until that nurse remarked about it and I looked down and thought "omigod!"

Attachments

• coat.jpg
    coat.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 14,235
Oct 11, 2007
And it isn't just the clothes. I run the lint roller over my bed every day after I make it (and quite often the sheets too, if it has been cold and the catties have snuggled in!!).

My husband keeps his dark suits in their dry cleaning bags until he needs one and then gets ready for work and has breakfast in his shirt and underwear!!:nuts: The suit comes out of the bag and is put on at the front door and he then quickly slips out before a cat sees him!!

Sep 13, 2007
^^^ Wow! Your husband is the rare guy who cares about looking tidy! My DH went to a funeral with a black wool suit covered with dog hair and couldn't have cared less. His family had a fit--and of course blamed me.

You know your house is bad when even the vacuum attachments don't work very well at getting the fur off the couch cushions, and your guests comment that they can't wear black to your house.

When I was growing up a neighbor had a weighted plastic sheet stretched over the door to the living room to keep out the dog hair. I thought that was rather extreme and was glad I did not live in that house.

juneping

couch potato-ing
O.G.
Jun 11, 2007
No, that is not a mohair scarf. And that is *after* the lint brush. :P My husband got a second yellow lab and labs are manic shedders.

I must be such a nerd. After all the years of living with cats and dogs I just never thought about pet hair on my clothes until that nurse remarked about it and I looked down and thought "omigod!"

oh my....like miss kris said...just embrace it. i think if you don't want the hair on the clothes...you might have to do it like daily so they won't stick to the clothes. after a while just impossible to get rid of the hair.
i brush my cat often...like 2-3 times a week and it's not that bad. she's short hair...

Miss Kris

Jan 23, 2009
my cat is white. and fluffy. my work wardrobe is made up of black, grey and navy outfits. i too have given up. she is going through major shedding. is it bad of me to consider making her wear a sweater so she doesn't shed as much? :P

I have 1 white fluffy kitty, one brown and cream fluffy kitty, and one brown and white dog... I'm screwed. No matter what color I wear, the fur will show!

Sep 13, 2007
I used to use anti static spray then lint roller. Could it survive in the dryer on air only? That might fluff out some fur. Otherwise I used to send ti for dry cleaning.

I tried putting the scarf in the dryer for a few minutes last night, and that removed about half the fur. But then of course the scarf was limp...as if it had been through the dryer. But at least I got out enough fur to wear it today without embarrassment.

oh my....like miss kris said...just embrace it. i think if you don't want the hair on the clothes...you might have to do it like daily so they won't stick to the clothes. after a while just impossible to get rid of the hair.
i brush my cat often...like 2-3 times a week and it's not that bad. she's short hair...

You're right, I would have to de-fur the coat daily, and all that brushing and scraping with adhesive tape would be hard on the fabric, pulling up the nap. I think I'll just have to embrace the furriness.

Last fall I bought a vintage plaid jacket on ebay for $25 and I've been wearing that all winter because it doesn't show the fur as much as my lovely black wool jacket. That may have to be my plan of action from now on.

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys! They're much appreciated! :biggrin: