Question for Givenchy owners, is the hardwear and overall quality good?

elinasofia

O.G.
May 23, 2007
I am thinking about buying a Givenchy bag but I can't see any of the bags IRL. I have been reading info about the bags and some people were saying that especially the hardwear quality is very poor and the plating ships and stars to turn rusty after just a couple of months. I am picky about hardwear so this really worries me. Someone even compared Givenchy quality to Marc by Marc Jacobs!

I am not thinking about buying a nightingale but have been searching Ebay for some of the less known styles, for example clarabelle, mogambo, pluto and the military bag.

I can only speak from my experience with the Nightingale, so for what it's worth, the quality of everything on the bag - including hardware - is excellent.
I've used mine almost every day for at least a year now and it all looks perfect and the zippers work smoothly etc...

BTW I live right by the beach. Lots of other things in my house have rusted but NOT my Nightingale hardware :amuse:

Reactions: HazelLovesBags
I am a Givenchy lover, and have two Nightingales and one Sacca.
The Nightingale hardware has not changed at all.
The Sacca hardware has - but just the chain part which is a golden chain hardware. It's started to peel and discolor. I don't wear it very often, either, so yes it is a bit of concern.

I may much less of a help because I only own a coin purse by them, the Logo coin purse. However, it's the only coin purse that I've been using since this February, and it looks very much like it did when I first got it new.

So on some of the bags the hardwear seems to be holding just fine and in some it is peeling. I wonder if the silver or pewter would last better than the gold?

It is always hard to buy something before seeing it in real life. I own mostly Gryson bags and they have amazing hardwear, solid brass (at least the older made in Italy styles have, I don't know so much about the never ones).

I am however always getting excited about new (to me) brands and cheating my Grysons and usually I end up getting disappointed. A few months ago I fell in love with Pierre Hardys bags, I loved the idea of the all leather lining and the bags looked really good online. Once I got the bag (a black boston with patent trim) I was a bit disappointed because it had really yellow gold cheap looking hardwear. I know that Hardys bag are not about the hardwear but about the leather and the funky design, but still, why make a really nice luxury bag and then decide to be cheap with the hardwear?