Question for Ergo Framed Pleated Satchel Owners

oopsididitagain

»â”€â”€â™¥â”€â”€>
O.G.
Feb 5, 2008
I noticed today that one of the two (sets of) magnets that hold the purse compartments closed is weak and is very easy to pop open while the other magnet on the other side is very strong. I wish that the weak one was strong, too. Does anyone else have this "problem"? (It's not a big deal, I guess.) Is there any way to make a weak magnet strong again? My husband says no, there's not.
edit: MODS, I meant to put this in the main Coach subforum, not shopping. Please move. :0)

Hello Oops! I have a few of those but I don't have the one weak magnet problem. I feel the magnets on these bags are somehow generally weaker. They really are just not the same as say on my Addi. I figured it was deliberate on the part of Coach to maintain the puffiness of the pleated look. I don't know if I am making sense (strong magnet - taut fabric, weaker magnet - softer more flexible look). Okay, I'm shutting up now :smile:

^^Thank you for your thoughts about this. At first I thought I should go exchange it but then I thought those magnets aren't really important, maybe they're just kinda for show. I'll be popping them apart all day getting into my bag.
You're probably right that they didn't want the bag to be real structured to maintain the design's looks. I love the ergo satchel in your avatar!!

^^Thank you for your thoughts about this. At first I thought I should go exchange it but then I thought those magnets aren't really important, maybe they're just kinda for show. I'll be popping them apart all day getting into my bag.
You're probably right that they didn't want the bag to be real structured to maintain the design's looks. I love the ergo satchel in your avatar!!

Thank you! That's my putty laced. I have 3 others but none of the others are laced. My fav is the rose because it's the antique leather. I want two others - the green patent and the natural colour antique one. Haven't seen the natural colored one for a long time but will pick up my green one tomorrow. Yay!

I just own the rose one, how interesting to learn from you about it's antique leather! I know it has beautiful leather, that's why I went ga-ga over it in the outlet. I love it even more now I know it's your fave and you have a few. Now if one of yours had a weak magnet on one side, would that bother you? lol I'm still trying to decide if it's worth being picky about or not.
Congrats on your getting the green one tomorrow! That one kind of popped out of nowhere, I didn't even know it came in green. Well I'm not complaining, I love green bags!

I just own the rose one, how interesting to learn from you about it's antique leather! I know it has beautiful leather, that's why I went ga-ga over it in the outlet. I love it even more now I know it's your fave and you have a few. Now if one of yours had a weak magnet on one side, would that bother you? lol I'm still trying to decide if it's worth being picky about or not.
Congrats on your getting the green one tomorrow! That one kind of popped out of nowhere, I didn't even know it came in green. Well I'm not complaining, I love green bags!

Nope, a weak magnet would not bother me at all. I am always having to get in the bag anyway. It's so well shaped, nothing spills out so I don't really need the magnets anyway.

Re: the green one, you're right it just seemed to appear from nowhere. I read on another thread that it was originally intended for the regular stores but somehow bypassed that and went straight to outlet. I don't know if that's true but I really love green and I really love the Ergo pleated so it's a no-brainer for me :biggrin:.

The brown and the natural are also antique leather and I'd love to get the natural. So soft, I feel like caressing my rose whenever I carry it hehehe. I think it looks a little strange that I have so many ergo pleateds but it's true love for me :nuts:.

I wouldnt fret about the magnet but if it does bother you a lot, why don't you call Coach Customer Care and see if they can do anything about it? Maybe they can replace the magnet?

I noticed today that one of the two (sets of) magnets that hold the purse compartments closed is weak and is very easy to pop open while the other magnet on the other side is very strong. I wish that the weak one was strong, too. Does anyone else have this "problem"? (It's not a big deal, I guess.) Is there any way to make a weak magnet strong again? My husband says no, there's not.
edit: MODS, I meant to put this in the main Coach subforum, not shopping. Please move. :0)
The same thing happened to my ergo satchel a few months ago. The magnets were weak. Then at closer looked I noticed that there was a clear plastic that covered the snap. That is why it won't snap right. When I removed the plastic the magnets worked like charm.

againstmywill~ Is the brown and natural ergos headed to the outlet or were they already there? I'm starting to fancy a natural ergo satchel! I've decided not to let the weaker magnet bother me. Thanks so much for your input!

happywife18~unfortunately, mine doesn't have the clear plastic on it. It's just a weaker magnet. Thanks for mentioning this as it very well could have been the problem.:smile:

Last edited:
Last night I was searching through tPF threads about magnets and I can't remember which thread but someone in another forum said that their husband is a scientist and he said to store your bags with the magnets closed so they can complete their force field or whatever, hehe, I'm having trouble explaining it...If they're stored open it will weaken them when they are trying to reach each other and cannot. I just thought I'd share this tip.
Also he said that a weak magnet can be re-magnetized by putting another really strong magnet on it for three days or so. I tried this for 24 hrs. and it didn't seem to work. I don't think 3 days would make it work, either but I shall leave it on there and see.

againstmywill~ Is the brown and natural ergos headed to the outlet or were they already there? I'm starting to fancy a natural ergo satchel! I've decided not to let the weaker magnet bother me. Thanks so much for your input!

happywife18~unfortunately, mine doesn't have the clear plastic on it. It's just a weaker magnet. Thanks for mentioning this as it very well could have been the problem.:smile:

Alas, the brown and natural already made it to the outlets. You can still find one or two browns there but the natural was few and far between and I haven't seen one in a while. Last one on ebay was probably last month. But you never know, these things still pop up. Love my pleated ergo babies :yahoo:

Alas, the brown and natural already made it to the outlets. You can still find one or two browns there but the natural was few and far between and I haven't seen one in a while. Last one on ebay was probably last month. But you never know, these things still pop up. Love my pleated ergo babies :yahoo:
That's too bad the naturals are gone, oh well, dusty rose is a nice enough color. You and I have really similar tastes, I have two of the bags on your wishlist. I have the black Luci and a black Abbey. They're both heavy but I think they're really special.

Oops, I have to say I love the rose Ergo. In fact, I could kick myself because I had one on hold, but really wanted the pink patent. I ended up finding the patent and now kind of wish I'd got the rose instead. I like the leather better. I mean, I like the patent too, but I only used the bag once so far...on Valentine's Day for about 2 hours! I wanted a pop of colour, which the rose is, but I got a POP of colour with the pink patent! Keep your bag for a bit and I bet you'll start loving it! My dad is a retired science teacher and he always had magnets. I'm going to call him tomorrow and ask if there's a way to make a magnet stronger. I'll let you know what he says!

I have a Green Patent Ergo Pleated satchel and yes one of the magnets on one side is a bit weaker than the other. I don't let that bother me at
all the bag is gorgeous and I sooooooo worth it!

I was lucky. I went to a few bags on display and grabbed bags and yanked the straps apart until the magnets give. Over 50% of them one magnet gave way easily. I was lucky when I pulled the handles apart on one Magenta bag and they both stayed firmly in place. I looked at the price and it was $249.99 for 50% off (instead of $289.99 for 50% off) and took it. It's perfect and I am very happy to test them and found a better deal too.