Question for Chanel Caviar! Please teach me everything I need to know!

Anniemeower

Jul 27, 2020
Hello everyone,

My name is Annie and I am new to PurseForum. I recently received my first Chanel bag as my bday gift from my boyfriend. Luckily, I got a LeBoy old medium in black quilted caviar leather and vintage gold hardware. However, I just found out that they are different types of caviar leather and all in different quality (smooth/dry/thick/etc). So this information got me worried about my decision and the quality of the caviar on my bag. Since Chanel is getting more expensive, of course I will want my first bag to be perfect.

This is my first Chanel bag so I have no idea how to identify the differences because I don't have other caviar bags to compare with. To be honest, I think my bag is not as shinny as I expected, and it feels like leather...? I am not sure how dry caviar feels like. Perhaps the 2020 cruise collection is more matte. I believe my bag is from the 2020 cruise collection. Does anyone here have the same bag or same caviar can tell me what kind of caviar it is and how the quality is? I also took pictures with and without flash, hoping they can help.
Thanks
0398B4E5-BAA3-4C22-A5F1-7095526C54D6.jpegF2EDEED4-4293-4B91-8A44-80739143F5DE.jpegEF001C15-1258-4F9B-8831-D3EBDF687F4C.jpeg

Hello everyone,

My name is Annie and I am new to PurseForum. I recently received my first Chanel bag as my bday gift from my boyfriend. Luckily, I got a LeBoy old medium in black quilted caviar leather and vintage gold hardware. However, I just found out that they are different types of caviar leather and all in different quality (smooth/dry/thick/etc). So this information got me worried about my decision and the quality of the caviar on my bag. Since Chanel is getting more expensive, of course I will want my first bag to be perfect.

This is my first Chanel bag so I have no idea how to identify the differences because I don't have other caviar bags to compare with. To be honest, I think my bag is not as shinny as I expected, and it feels like leather...? I am not sure how dry caviar feels like. Perhaps the 2020 cruise collection is more matte. I believe my bag is from the 2020 cruise collection. Does anyone here have the same bag or same caviar can tell me what kind of caviar it is and how the quality is? I also took pictures with and without flash, hoping they can help.
Thanks
View attachment 4804433View attachment 4804434View attachment 4804435

your bag is beautiful! My first one is also the boy bag , but in rhw. For years I was planning to get the gold hardware, but ended up picking rhw at the last minute. It was such a difficult decision!

I bought mine last year, here’s a picture of the caviar. I have no idea about the condition of or even what type of caviar it is but mine has held up well. I’ve used my bag quite a lot.

BC105861-0F4B-4E04-BCA5-05AC5D5FB219.jpeg

Your bag is absolutely stunning!

To be honest and even though I am a picky person, I never really have a specific preference for the caviar, especially if it’s on classic styles (I could be picky when it comes to seasonal ones). To me, the subtle differences between the different caviar batches aren’t worth the search and return/exchange process as long as the bag I got is in excellent condition!

Enjoy your beautiful bag!

your bag is beautiful! My first one is also the boy bag , but in rhw. For years I was planning to get the gold hardware, but ended up picking rhw at the last minute. It was such a difficult decision!

I bought mine last year, here’s a picture of the caviar. I have no idea about the condition of or even what type of caviar it is but mine has held up well. I’ve used my bag quite a lot.

View attachment 4804592
your bag looks stunning and still looks so new! I like how durable caviar is that I can be so carefree with them. My boyfriend actually surprised me with another boy bag first. It was in beige lambskin with a top handle, and it wasn't really what I was looking for. So I went to a boutique to exchange with, hoping for a beige caviar. The boutique didn't not have beige bag at that time but had this black caviar with gold hardware. Is it true that this combination is the hardest to find? I keep hearing that but I am doubting it because I didn't wait in a wait list for it.

Your bag is absolutely stunning!

To be honest and even though I am a picky person, I never really have a specific preference for the caviar, especially if it’s on classic styles (I could be picky when it comes to seasonal ones). To me, the subtle differences between the different caviar batches aren’t worth the search and return/exchange process as long as the bag I got is in excellent condition!

Enjoy your beautiful bag!
Thank you! I am a picky person too. Now you said that made me determined to keep it. My friends all told me what I wish for will be different than I what get, depends on what a boutique has at that time, and that I should be grateful for having this combination regardless of the caviar types.

Reactions: XCCX
your bag looks stunning and still looks so new! I like how durable caviar is that I can be so carefree with them. My boyfriend actually surprised me with another boy bag first. It was in beige lambskin with a top handle, and it wasn't really what I was looking for. So I went to a boutique to exchange with, hoping for a beige caviar. The boutique didn't not have beige bag at that time but had this black caviar with gold hardware. Is it true that this combination is the hardest to find? I keep hearing that but I am doubting it because I didn't wait in a wait list for it.

I hear that the combination is hard to find too! But I bought mine in Europe and walked in. They happened to have bags with both GHW and RHW available for me to compare side by side. So perhaps we both were fortunate to come by it without a wait list. :smile:

I will say that I really love this bag! I love that you can dress it up and down (especially in the GHW). And the caviar is so sturdy.

I hear that the combination is hard to find too! But I bought mine in Europe and walked in. They happened to have bags with both GHW and RHW available for me to compare side by side. So perhaps we both were fortunate to come by it without a wait list. :smile:

I will say that I really love this bag! I love that you can dress it up and down (especially in the GHW). And the caviar is so sturdy.

Yeah! Especially when this bag is getting more expensive each year, I definitely would like my first bag to be durable and last forever!
Did you need to pay additional tax when you brought it back to the US? I have friend got taxed because she kept the original box and receipt in her check-in luggage.

Yeah! Especially when this bag is getting more expensive each year, I definitely would like my first bag to be durable and last forever!
Did you need to pay additional tax when you brought it back to the US? I have friend got taxed because she kept the original box and receipt in her check-in luggage.

I was so lucky! I declared my bag and was prepared to pay taxes upon arrival. The customs agent waved me through. I am forever grateful to them.

Gorgeous bag and I love that more yellow brushed gold, more than the lighter champaign gold on many of the CF. Dont over think the different caviar - I didnt even know they have variations tbh. Whats important is that you love it.

Reactions: Anniemeower