Question for Birkin owners...

I have two 35 cm birkins - I think they are the perfect bag (I actually have three, a brown and a gold togo and a black clemence, but I am planning to sell the clemence and hope to buy a black togo. clemence is softer but I like the slightly stiffer togo given that I put papers and files in the bags). Once you have one, its trumps all the other bags. The size, ergonomics, etc are great. Light, not to soft not too rigid, can fit a notebook and a sweater but not look too big. Of course it doesnt fit over your shoulder, but it does loop over your arm, and it grips easily in your hand, so the shoulder thing is not really an issue. (when you need your hands free, thats what a kelly bag is for, I am told - I dont have one yet but am hopeful of having one someday).

I love my black 35 birkin...I find it to be the perfect size. I think everyday use depends on lifestyle. I could use my black 35 everyday (I find it to be very comfortable to carry), but it is not really appropriate for my work context (university campus). It tends to be my TH or F to Sun bag.

Ooh thank you for starting this thread! I was curious to know myself. I just recently got a Kelly Chevre 35cm and took it to work the first time this week, and boy was it heavy!!! It got me thinking, is the 35cm Birkin gonna be even heavier?

Pelinaka, I'm guessing it would be. Chevre is one of the lighter leathers, and if your birkin is in something like togo, it will definitely be heavier. Once the hermes weights chart is finished, that should give you a more precise idea of how much heavier the bag styles are relative to one another.

Thanks for all the great replies!! I will probably try to make it into the Beverly Hills Hermes store soon to see what they have available and talk to a SA. Are the only birkin's available the ones that were pre-ordered and passed on? It can be so hard to get excited about a bag and then have no idea when one will become available. Maybe I'll get lucky!

Okay, I've been thinking about selling a bunch of my high end bags except for 2 that I cannot part with and buying a 35cm black birkin (if I can find one:shame: )
My question is...do you think the 35cm is good for an everyday bag? If I sell my other bags it'll most likely be my most used bag. Do you find the birkin to be comfortable when you carry it? Do you ever get tired of using it?
Thanks for any answers!!!:flowers:

I think I've grown used to heavy bags, and I do tend to need to pack quite a lot of daily necessities in them. I use my 35 birkin (or 32 HAC) every day and they tend to be quite heavy, but so far it hasn't caused me any problems. That said, I don't normally walk for extremely long stretches of time without stopping, and there is quite frequently the opportunity for my arms to have a rest.

Don't know if that helps, but for me the 35 is the perfect bag for work, shopping and travel.

I'm really tiny and look like a gnome with 35cm. :ninja:

With the 30cm I look more like Smurfette! :blush:

For loads of stuff, the GP PM is perfect for me as it is lightweight and I can put it over my shoulders. :yes:

Don't get me wrong, DQ. I LOVE my HAC! I rate them both five star bags, but I've found that for my purposes, the birkin has a slight edge because it sits more comfortably on the crook of my arm when I need to use both hands for something. If I had skinny arms, I'd probably make use of both of them equally!

I just recently got a 35 cm togo Birkin. Yes it can be a bit heavy, but after what I paid for it, I appreciate the fact that the bag has some heft to it. I love carrying it though. It holds everything I need and looks great. I have started to dream of a black birkin myself lately! And I think a 35 cm is a great choice because you wont outgrow that size.:flowers:

Thanks for all the great replies!! I will probably try to make it into the Beverly Hills Hermes store soon to see what they have available and talk to a SA. Are the only birkin's available the ones that were pre-ordered and passed on? It can be so hard to get excited about a bag and then have no idea when one will become available. Maybe I'll get lucky!

Hi Haute. I was in the BH store last weekend...I heard another customer asking a SA about birkins. The SA was quite firm with her...no, they have no birkins available at the present time...no, they are not taking special orders...no, they do not take phone numbers and call you if a declined birkin becomes available, etc. You might get lucky, but are more likely to have the opportunity to purchase a birkin in BH after you have developed a relationship with your SA (you might already have a connection, in this case, please ignore). The SA asked the customer if she ever travels to Europe. The customer indicated that she does occasionally. The SA then told the customer she is more likely to find a birkin in Europe than in the US. Again, you never know, I think others may have gotten lucky in BH, but it seems to be a matter of perfect timing and/or SA relationships... :shrugs:

I think 35 in togo are not that heavy.. and it can be used for everyday.. however, 30cm birkins are "small" in my opinion.. i like 32cm kelly/HAC more.

30cm is good for exotic birkins.