Question for all the Birkin users about the lock

QnBee9

Jun 30, 2010
I was wondering where everyone puts the lock on the Birkin when they don't want it locked. Do you leave it hanging from the hardware or by the keys?

birkel

O.G.
Jan 17, 2009
Yea it's wonderfully complicated with a lock on I only use it when I want it to be locked and truthfully I fin the bag to be heavier and affected by the lock.the smily face effect and the general look is just not great for me !

QnBee9

Jun 30, 2010
After reading about the lock smiley effect I think that shouldn't be on the bag unless it needs to be locked. However there seems to be conflicting opinions on the keys and clochette.

Pepper

Raisinette
Authenticator
O.G.
Oct 12, 2006
I keep the clochettes and locks off of my Birkins. They seem unnecessary to me.

blusilv

All Things H...
Jan 8, 2010
Singapore
I didnt know about the smiley issue until I experienced it on mine, and ever since then locks and clochettes have been placed in their little dustbags and never used..

Syma

O.G.
Jan 2, 2007
Europe
Thank you for your help.
Your welcome dear, I posted a pick on another thread of how I add my lock to the Birkin although normally I leave it off and have a leather charm hanging off one of the handles instead. You need to be a bit careful about hanging it off the clochette as the leather can rip easliy due the weight or if it gets caught so I double wrap the clochette around the handle as below and it stops the lock banging about on the leather too where it would leave a mark HTH!

Attachments

Dec 21, 2007
I put mine on the turnlock, and I put the turnlock in the vertical position. That way, the lock doesn't rub against the leather. I don't put very much into the bag, so the leather doesn't get all that close to the lock.