Question for 04 bag owners!

^ yeah, style - I remember this. What is actually sort of comical to me - is I remember the way you could tell a fake vs. real was the fact that the fakes had this intentionally distressed CRACKLY leather look to them, and the authentic bags had this perfectly worn in smooshy soft all around appearance -- honestly, I have to admit - when I first saw the new leather Balenciagas I thought they were fake.......

I also seems the dye absorbed more into the leather then. I think it depends on the color. A friend of mine bought the rouge hobo and she can't wear a white sweater or the red rubs a bit onto it, while I haven't heard this happening with some of the neutral colors or the older colorful bags. And I agree mimi, this was my biggest peeve with the new leather. The fake distress was a dead giveaway of a counterfeit bag until the real bbags started looking like them. The originals didn't have to be worked out to take on their appearance and the wrinkles were actually real dented distress. There are smoother bags, but it's just naturally dyed where some have unevenness and others don't.

Gucci bought Balenciaga in 2000, so I don't think Gucci buying Balenciaga had anything to do with the change. I think the popularity and the need to mass market these handbags, and the desire to profit as much as possible had to do with the change. I know the leather completely changed in Fall 2005, and that is when you notice TONS of stock, instead of a few Balenciagas only available and mile long waitlists.

here's a summary of Gucci and Balenciaga: http://www.time.com/time/europe/magazine/printout/0,13155,901020422-451042,00.html

toni22 said:
thanks fasion junky... thats what i thought. its funny that you were the one to answer my question. your wonderful collection is one of the many great collections that inspired me!:heart:

its funny, i had so many opportunities to buy new bags back in 2001-2004 but i was starting my business with my husband back then, and we sunk all our money into it to get it off the ground.

now that we have a bit of financial success, i have been trying to find and purchase all the bags that i wanted to buy back then, but the competition is so great on ebay, i keep loosing auctions left and right. and the prices are just getting so high.

some girls talk about the new bags breaking in really well, and i do believe they will soften and get better with time and use and love, but the 04 bags just had a velvet feel to them that is just not in the newer bags. Sounds like they felt velvety even brand new, so its not a break in issue.

thanks for answering my question!

t

ps.. if you ever loose your mind and feel the need to find new homes for your bags... i would cherish them!!!

:heart:

Aww thank you :shame:. I am one of those who just adores the old leather and can't bring myself to like the new leather. I'm sure it does improve with use, but it just isn't the same. I highly recommend that you wait it out and search for an older bag...you won't regret it! I don't think these insanely high prices on ebay will be a permanent trend. I'm sure some older bags will come your way soon ;)

byMiMi said:
Gucci bought Balenciaga in 2000, so I don't think Gucci buying Balenciaga had anything to do with the change. I think the popularity and the need to mass market these handbags, and the desire to profit as much as possible had to do with the change. I know the leather completely changed in Fall 2005, and that is when you notice TONS of stock, instead of a few Balenciagas only available and mile long waitlists.

here's a summary of Gucci and Balenciaga: http://www.time.com/time/europe/magazine/printout/0,13155,901020422-451042,00.html

MiMi - I SO agree with you about how when I first saw the newer crackly leather, all I could think of is that they looked like the old fakes. And therein lies the problem I think.

As you pointed out, the reason for the change had to be the need to mass-produce these bags to keep up with the waitlists - and in doing so, it almost seems like Balenciaga decided to use the same factories that were producing the fakes - LOL. Obviously, the reason the fakes looked like that is that it must be an easier (and cheaper) process to "make" the leather look crackly and shiny than to get them to look soft, worn-in and naturally distressed.

ranskimmie said:
:graucho: Looks like Im going to be a new member of the "04' leather ladies" in just a couple of days! I have been 04' City TURQUOISED!!:yes: :biggrin: :heart:

OMG kimmie, CONGRATS!!!!!!!!! LOVE the turquoise!!!! :love: Nhelle has done it again didn't she? The ultimate b-bag hookup :lol:

Style, EXACTLY! I was honestly in shock when I first saw the 'new' leather, I actually remember someone posting on tfs their new bag.... and thinking to myself, I think this is a fake and they are trying to pass it off as real :lol:, I feel so bad about that now... but it really was a shock to see the 'new' leather.

The old bags just had this PERFECT vintage flair.

eta: congrats ranksimmie!