*Selling* on Mercari

I have sold on Mercari without issue. The highest priced item was around $200, though. The fees are not bad and I like that they only allow a buyer four days to accept the purchase. You are usually paid within a week. I have had a few lowball offers, but they usually message me and not make a formal offer. Any time you are selling on the Internet there is a risk, so no site is completely safe, in my opinion. I post as many pictures as are allowed (12) and try to give an accurate description and hope for the best :smile:

That
I have. The ability to authenticate for $5 is great, the site does not allow lowball offers that waste time, and the service has been good. I like them better than Poshmark, though I think there are more targeted buyers for clothes and bags on PM. I have gotten tired of getting offers for 25-50% of my researched and already competitive list prices on PM...if I wanted to give my bags away, I would give them away to a great charity, not a greedy reseller or opportunist who wants everything for nothing.

Yes that’s the one thing I love about mercari! No lowballers, I swear I just saw I got an offer for $3 on something I had listed for $80 on poshmark!! :huh: :yucky:

Last edited:
I have sold on Mercari without issue. The highest priced item was around $200, though. The fees are not bad and I like that they only allow a buyer four days to accept the purchase. You are usually paid within a week. I have had a few lowball offers, but they usually message me and not make a formal offer. Any time you are selling on the Internet there is a risk, so no site is completely safe, in my opinion. I post as many pictures as are allowed (12) and try to give an accurate description and hope for the best :smile:
I’ll try listing this old Michael Kors bag I’ve had for awhile, it’s about $200 so hopefully everything would go well, I’m just so weary about resell sites now due to the uptick in scam during covid

I’ll try listing this old Michael Kors bag I’ve had for awhile, it’s about $200 so hopefully everything would go well, I’m just so weary about resell sites now due to the uptick in scam during covid
Mercari has a lot of the same policies/procedures as Poshmark to prevent scamming on either side, so I think it is as safe as those sites get for both buyer and seller.

Hi! I have some mid range items I want to sell, for now ebay is out of the question because I do not want to join managed payments.

I don’t like poshmark to sell because of the high fees. Is Mercari a safe alternative?
The app looks quite dodgy and I sold some cheaper items (less than $50) already and I don’t mind the fees but is it safer to sell brands worth between $300-500 or so there?

Mercari stopped in the UK, but I never sold with them, I always try to take good pictures, so I had pictures on a mannequin and they refused it as apparently they were not real pictures (wtf?) so I thought I don't want to deal with them, on Depop were just lowballers, tbh I prefer sites where there is a middle man who does the authentication, for example VC or Joli (though there doesn't seem anything happening there atm, just bored people trying to negotiate and make ridiculous price offers but never follow up), I prefer an item going through compliance because then it is done and over with, I hate dealing with buyers who might get buyer's remorse, or have fantasies that a certain size fits them, they try it on, break it and then return, too much hassle

That

Yes that’s the one thing I love about mercari! No lowballers, I swear I just saw I got an offer for $3 on something I had listed for $80 on poshmark!! :huh: :yucky:

Some people really do not have any shame, I switched off offers on VC and still get ridiculous price offers for expensive high end designer, seriously, I had people quote Primark prices when it comes to Dior and Brunello Cucinelli, that's like comparing a sandwich from a greasy spoon to dinner at the Ritz....

Been selling my lv bags and my husband used golf clubs on Mercari since the pandemic started to keep myself busy. Made about 7 sales. Everything was fine, until my last sale. I normally checked buyer rating etc, but turned out my last buyer, Donamari, only buys and sells cheap ($5-$2x clothing items) and very old and beat up brand name bag. She asked me for discount on my Nano Noe. Then, asked me to wait until she got next pays etc.
I inspected and took pics of my nano noe before packing and shipped out an hour later. I chose to pay my own shippjng with insurance $35 total.

She then msg me saying there was a “smudge” and could not accept it because it was for her daughter! Also, Mercari does not allow sending pictures in chat btw buyer and seller so no way she could send me proof. I just told her she can try to claim it with Mercari. Meanwhile, I report it to Mercari sending my proof of pics.
OF COURSE, Mercari was on buyer side!! Her return was approved. And, I am now waiting for my bag to be returned. Hopefully, she did not make her own “smudge” on my bag. And, now with the worst number of covid cases in California, which we are both in, I will have a bag with no way to sanitize as it could damage the
leather. My worst fear is that the package will return with an empty box! I will no longer sell anything online that required shipping out.
So, I will lose money for shipping and return label, probably over $50.
Avoid listing expensive items! For me it’s a lesson learned.

Attachments

• A32625FD-83D1-4298-90D6-87FE8F493403.png
    A32625FD-83D1-4298-90D6-87FE8F493403.png
    286 KB · Views: 18
  • 19603E07-385E-4A80-8939-F64BC8708BFA.png
    19603E07-385E-4A80-8939-F64BC8708BFA.png
    250.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 8C0FF710-9443-4DDE-95E3-A9E46B080FCD.png
    8C0FF710-9443-4DDE-95E3-A9E46B080FCD.png
    289.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 59639833-0B9D-4080-B610-8BD5D09E0A54.png
    59639833-0B9D-4080-B610-8BD5D09E0A54.png
    291.6 KB · Views: 17
Been selling my lv bags and my husband used golf clubs on Mercari since the pandemic started to keep myself busy. Made about 7 sales. Everything was fine, until my last sale. I normally checked buyer rating etc, but turned out my last buyer, Donamari, only buys and sells cheap ($5-$2x clothing items) and very old and beat up brand name bag. She asked me for discount on my Nano Noe. Then, asked me to wait until she got next pays etc.
I inspected and took pics of my nano noe before packing and shipped out an hour later. I chose to pay my own shippjng with insurance $35 total.

She then msg me saying there was a “smudge” and could not accept it because it was for her daughter! Also, Mercari does not allow sending pictures in chat btw buyer and seller so no way she could send me proof. I just told her she can try to claim it with Mercari. Meanwhile, I report it to Mercari sending my proof of pics.
OF COURSE, Mercari was on buyer side!! Her return was approved. And, I am now waiting for my bag to be returned. Hopefully, she did not make her own “smudge” on my bag. And, now with the worst number of covid cases in California, which we are both in, I will have a bag with no way to sanitize as it could damage the
leather. My worst fear is that the package will return with an empty box! I will no longer sell anything online that required shipping out.

I am so sorry that this happened to you. Please let us know how your bag looks when you get it back. My nerves will not stand selling anything too expensive online anymore, lol. I usually do a direct buy with Yoogi's or Fashionphile and take the hit. Some money is better than none, and at least I know I won't get scammed. Your buyer sounds like she has buyer's remorse, unfortunately.

I'm sorry you're having problems.

I think I saw the listing and I don't see any scuffs. Did she say where it's scuffed. (I'm wondering whether it shows in any of the pictures.)

I'm sorry you're having problems.

I think I saw the listing and I don't see any scuffs. Did she say where it's scuffed. (I'm wondering whether it shows in any of the pictures.)
She said a smudge on a corner. I did take pics of all angles before shipping out and there was ZERO smudge. You can see from my pictures above. I took it as I was packing the bag.

She said a smudge on a corner. I did take pics of all angles before shipping out and there was ZERO smudge. You can see from my pictures above. I took it as I was packing the bag.
(I don't see that you've posted any pictures above.)

The problem is that the listing may not have shown that corner so it'd be difficult (if not impossible) to prove to Mercari that there was no scuff prior to sending it. (Did she send a picture of the scuff?)

Last edited:
And, another nightmare I received is that buyer can not shipped it back till Saturday. So, she can have my bag for the whole week. :sad:

View attachment 4924084

View attachment 4924085
As for this, call (if you can) Mercari and tell them that she's not going to ship within 3 days as required by the policy. Ask them how this is handled. She shouldn't get an extension IMO.

Sheesh, she needs to find a way to get her a$$ to the post office and not visit her problems on you!