*Selling* on Mercari

I've stopped adding new listings since they asked for my credit card. I can't think of a good reason for them to have that if I'm not buying. I think they want to be able to charge it if someone complains after they've released my money.

I don't think 5 days is long enough. I would wait. I've had packages that have been scanned stop moving within the postal system for over a week. If the post office she dropped it off at didn't scan, it could be in the system but just hasn't been scanned yet.

There are special rules for shipping perfume. It is supposed to be shipped parcel select ground, which I don't believe is an option with the Mercari label, if she used it. Shipping perfume by air is hazardous. Generally if a box has fragile written on it, a shipper is supposed to pay extra for special handling. If someone at the PO saw that fragile marking or realized it was perfume, they may have pulled out the item for special handling.

Hi and thank you for your reply! Still no movement today at all. I think her using a box that said Fragile liquid is what did it. It’s either stolen or they wouldn’t let it go through. She did use a label from Mercari. When you say they may have pulled the item for special handling, do you mean opened the package and pulled out the perfume? Or just pulled the package for a different kind of postage? The reason I think one of their postal employees stole it is because a) reviews for this particular post office location are very poor and people complain that their packages are “lost” here frequently and b) when she went there in person to try to get answers they blew her off and blamed it on their “warehouse”.
I guess to avoid problems like this in the future, she should have had a clerk personally scan it in, but when I asked her why she didn’t, the seller told me her location doesn’t do that and that’s why they have the drop box. This particular perfume is very hard to find and she seems like a lovely seller and sold it to me for a decent price. So bummed if it’s lost for good. Since she never got the package scanned, I hope Mercari will be able to help her if it comes to that and she has to file a claim.

Hi and thank you for your reply! Still no movement today at all. I think her using a box that said Fragile liquid is what did it. It’s either stolen or they wouldn’t let it go through. She did use a label from Mercari. When you say they may have pulled the item for special handling, do you mean opened the package and pulled out the perfume? Or just pulled the package for a different kind of postage? The reason I think one of their postal employees stole it is because a) reviews for this particular post office location are very poor and people complain that their packages are “lost” here frequently and b) when she went there in person to try to get answers they blew her off and blamed it on their “warehouse”.
I guess to avoid problems like this in the future, she should have had a clerk personally scan it in, but when I asked her why she didn’t, the seller told me her location doesn’t do that and that’s why they have the drop box. This particular perfume is very hard to find and she seems like a lovely seller and sold it to me for a decent price. So bummed if it’s lost for good. Since she never got the package scanned, I hope Mercari will be able to help her if it comes to that and she has to file a claim.
My post office won't scan packages if I bring them in with postage already attached. I believe it is because it holds up the line. They will scan packages if they pick them up from my house. I think it is extremely rare for items to get stolen from packages. The employee would have had to open a package not knowing if there was anything worthwhile inside and then be familiar with that type of perfume.

I don't know what they do if someone tries to ship perfume without following the correct procedure. They might return to the sender. Whether or not they knew it was perfume, it was marked fragile and the extra postage for fragile contents wasn't paid.

Many things could have happened. The bottle could have broken. The perfume could have leaked and completely obliterated the shipping label.

After a week or so, she can open a missing mail search request. That usually isn't successful but it worth a try.

You should have no problem getting your money back from Mercari if it never gets scanned as delivered. If this was happening to me, I would wait at least 10 days before I asked for my money back.

It's been 10 days now, and still no shipping, the tracking doesn't show a single scan and still says USPS awaiting item. The seller said she asked around at her post office and they blew her off both times. Mercari was replying to emails asking for updates and telling me not to worry etc., but now that I have officially requested my money back, they have gone radio silent. How can I get my money back now? Do I have to request to cancel? It looks like that isn't technically even an option as she already marked it shipped (even though it hasn't). Thank you!!

It's been 10 days now, and still no shipping, the tracking doesn't show a single scan and still says USPS awaiting item. The seller said she asked around at her post office and they blew her off both times. Mercari was replying to emails asking for updates and telling me not to worry etc., but now that I have officially requested my money back, they have gone radio silent. How can I get my money back now? Do I have to request to cancel? It looks like that isn't technically even an option as she already marked it shipped (even though it hasn't). Thank you!!
Did you pay with paypal or a credit card? Either of those options will allow you to dispute if Mercari doesn't refund you. I would give Mercari a few days to get back to you.

It's the same as paypal fees. If you use managed payments, you don't use paypal anymore, do you?
You're correct.
I think you have to sign up for managed payments or you can't sell. As I understand, Ebay is adding the 2.9% plus 30 cents and adjusting the FVF to cover the fees. FVF will be 12.35%.

And like paypal, ebay will now be charging the FVF on the sales tax and shipping in addition to their commission.

ETA: And the email they sent says I have till Sept. 15 to sign up or have possible "interruptions to selling."

Dear xxxxxxxxx,

Managed payments enhances the buying and selling experience on eBay, providing sellers one place to sell and get paid, and their buyers more ways to pay. eBay will manage payments for most sellers in 2020. You’ll need to register by September 15, 2020 to avoid any interruptions to your selling.

You're correct.
I think you have to sign up for managed payments or you can't sell. As I understand, Ebay is adding the 2.9% plus 30 cents and adjusting the FVF to cover the fees. FVF will be 12.35%.

And like paypal, ebay will now be charging the FVF on the sales tax and shipping in addition to their commission.

ETA: And the email they sent says I have till Sept. 15 to sign up or have possible "interruptions to selling."

Dear xxxxxxxxx,

Managed payments enhances the buying and selling experience on eBay, providing sellers one place to sell and get paid, and their buyers more ways to pay. eBay will manage payments for most sellers in 2020. You’ll need to register by September 15, 2020 to avoid any interruptions to your selling.
That sucks! I'm dreading getting that letter.

Hi! I have some mid range items I want to sell, for now ebay is out of the question because I do not want to join managed payments.

I don’t like poshmark to sell because of the high fees. Is Mercari a safe alternative?
The app looks quite dodgy and I sold some cheaper items (less than $50) already and I don’t mind the fees but is it safer to sell brands worth between $300-500 or so there?

I have. The ability to authenticate for $5 is great, the site does not allow lowball offers that waste time, and the service has been good. I like them better than Poshmark, though I think there are more targeted buyers for clothes and bags on PM. I have gotten tired of getting offers for 25-50% of my researched and already competitive list prices on PM...if I wanted to give my bags away, I would give them away to a great charity, not a greedy reseller or opportunist who wants everything for nothing.