question about YSL

Nov 11, 2009
I have been in love in Chanel forever, but lateley I have noticed just like other TPFers that the quality is no longer the same :thinking::thinking::thinking::nono:, and I have been eyeing YSL... On that note, is the quality of the leather any better? or is it just about the same? I love both the Easy bag :shocked::drool: and the :shocked: :drool: BElle du jour clutch... Please let me know honesly what you think... Thank you...

Really you are asking a very subjective question; it's a matter of personal opinion rather than a black and white answer. After all, each brand offers multiple different types of leathers and leather treatments, so it's hard to make a blanket statement about which is better. I've owned five Chanel bags and the quality was very good although these were all purchased several years ago. Both brands certainly have their die-hard defenders on TPF and both I'm sure have owners who've been disgruntled with their bags... I'd suggest the only person who can answer this question for you is you after seeing/touching YSL bags IRL.

Doesen't Karl design both YSL and Chanel??? Must be more connections than first meets the eye. Can't imagine that he would endorse too different standards for both brands despite price differences.

Doesen't Karl design both YSL and Chanel??? Must be more connections than first meets the eye. Can't imagine that he would endorse too different standards for both brands despite price differences.

Gerry,
Stefano Pilati is the designer for YSL so I would guess he is the one responsible for designing the bags as well :smile:

klasychanel2009,
as comso suggested, it is subjective. Personally I prefer YSL to Chanel, the leather of my chanel cannot possibly compare to YSL quality, but then again, go and play with the bags and see how you like them !

I've owned and own Hermes, LV, Miu Miu, Balenciaga, Marc Jacobs, Chloe, Chanel and YSL as well as Dooney, Coach and some no name bags. I couldn't really say one brand has better quality than another because the leathers used and style and price point vary. Quality can also be limited to a specific bag. I know Miu Miu bow bags had troubles with seams splitting early but the brand overall was quite strong.

I think YSL is less trendy but that has nothing to do with its quality. Cosmo is right--you need to see a bag and touch it and make your own assessment.

i have bags from both, and they are very different aesthetics. i fnd myself using my chanel bags more for business meetings, or when im a bit dressed up, and my YSL bags more for daily (also BV for daily). So far, im impressed with the quality of YSL, and i just recently got a patent belle du jour clutch and i LOVE IT! and ive read a lot here that YSL patent lasts and lasts and lasts!

I am absolutely in love with YSL bags and I guess you wear YSL and Chanel at different occasions. I just find that YSL bags are slightly more fun, in a way. I just got a Belle Du Jour clutch and I can not be happier. The style is very classic, but the crackle patent leather gives it an edge. Definitely give the Easy bag a go as well, I personally really like the navy one.

Thanks,Gypas, I guess I am a little out of date as to where my designers are going!! Karl was at the reins for awhile, I seem to remember,right? Don't know of Stefano Pilati. How long has he been there? I am, like the OP, investigating the YSL line.